DVDVR Message Board

MMA Live Event Discussion Thread, Winter 2024

Elsalvajeloco

Yeah Danny Barlow might be some one worth keeping an eye on.

Zhang Mingyang looks like he's going to be one of those crazy phone booth fighters that could be more entertaining than successful over time.

Dern/Lemos was a really good fight. Dern's so damn tough. Never looked dejected or down on herself despite getting really pieced up in the second, to the point I was surprised Beltran didn't stop it.

Thought Dern won the first and the third. Though Round two could've probably been a 10-8 for Lemos, so I was thinking a Draw.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always root for Fluffy since he trained with a Japanese professor of mine from college, but honestly I thought that was some good money on Roman and the striking would be too much. But Hernandez won’t be denied, really impressed with his pressure here, he ate some bad shots but just wouldn’t let Roman get in the flow. Still think Roman has a great shot getting into at least the top 10 soon enough though.

I think we had a conversation a while back about people saying Sterling was the greatest Bantamweight and how we may not have seen the greatest yet.

His name is Merab Dvalishvili.

I still can't believe Sterling as GOAT bantamweight was a thing people actually thought.

Merab looked great, and Henry looked a bit old. This is why you probably shouldn't retire in your prime for 3 years.

Edited by waffle
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Dern/Lemos was a really good fight. Dern's so damn tough. Never looked dejected or down on herself despite getting really pieced up in the second, to the point I was surprised Beltran didn't stop it.

Thought Dern won the first and the third. Though Round two could've probably been a 10-8 for Lemos, so I was thinking a Draw.

Dern got robbed

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, waffle said:

I still can't believe Sterling as GOAT bantamweight was a thing people actually thought.

Merab looked great, and Henry looked a bit old. This is why you probably shouldn't retire in your prime for 3 years.

Agree with all this. It's always been Dominick Cruz as the Bantamweight GOAT. Henry Cejudo lost prime years wanting to retire on top but very few resist the urge to come back.

I thought maybe Volk was going too quickly into this fight after suffering a very nasty KO in his last one.

But Ilia Topuria hit him so hard I don't know if it would've mattered.

10 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I thought maybe Volk was going too quickly into this fight after suffering a very nasty KO in his last one.

But Ilia Topuria hit him so hard I don't know if it would've mattered.

This pretty much. Peach of a counter right hand. 

Part of the problem once you move from being 100% a great wrestler into I'm now this all around fighter who will have a kickboxing match despite having a completely different avenue to win is you make everything equal against someone is greatly superior in one category. As long as he didn't get caught himself, Topuria could snipe at Volk all day. Quicker and less predictable. Caught Volk right after he switched stances. Had no fear that Volk could do anything to him.

Makachev taught Volk how to lose + Topuria's right would have KO'ed an elephant if he'd caught it EXACTLY on the point of the chin like that. It was a dream punch and he earned it. His striking work when his opponent is against the fence is top level.

17 hours ago, The Natural said:

Alex Pereira vs. Jamahal Hill announced as the UFC 300 Main Event.

I don't really mind this fight at all. People had insane expectations obviously, but Alex going against the former champ (who never lost) who beat his teacher. Good 'ol revenge fight. 

They had very few options for what the main event could be anyway. They have a bunch of people who just fought, are recovering from injuries and still not ready, or just plain don't want to fight at all (Conor). 

There is someone notable fighting in EVERY fight, which you couldn't say for a UFC card going back maybe 14 or 15 years.

The 300 card is fucking crazy. Maybe you could argue that Dana over promised, but I dunno, he said this card was going to be awesome and it is. Every time I look at it I go oh shit I forgot they're on it too.

Like look at the main card and it's all killer no filler...then you look down and lurking around the prelims are Cody Garbrandt and Deiveson Figueiredo. Deigo Lopes and Sodqiq Yusuf might on the early prelims with Bobby Green, Jim Miller and Jessica Andrade. That's an insane show.

UFC Fight Night

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 95: Moreno vs Royval II
February 24, 2024
Mexico City, Mexico (Arena CDMX)

Brandon Moreno (126) vs. Brandon Royval (126) - Royval, DEC (split)
Yair Rodríguez (146) vs. Brian Ortega (146) - Ortega, SUB (arm triangle choke), R3 (0:58)
Daniel Zellhuber (156) vs. Francisco Prado (156) - Zellhuber, DEC (unanimous)
Yazmin Jauregui (115) vs. Sam Hughes (115) - Jauregui, DEC (unanimous)
Manuel Torres (155) vs. Chris Duncan (156) - Torres, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (1:46)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Cristian Quiñonez (135) vs. Raoni Barcelos (135) - Barcelos, SUB (rear naked choke), R3 (2:04)
Jesus Aguilar (126) vs. Mateus Mendonça (126) - Aguilar, DEC (split)
Edgar Cháirez (131)** vs. Daniel Lacerda (127)* - Cháirez, SUB (triangle choke), R1 (2:17)
Claudio Puelles (156) vs. Fares Ziam (156) - Ziam, DEC (split)
Luis Rodríguez (126) vs. Denys Bondar (126) - Rodríguez, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (4:59)
Victor Altamirano (125) vs. Felipe dos Santos (124) - Dos Santos, DEC (split)
Muhammad Naimov (146) vs. Erik Silva (146) - Naimov, TKO (injury), R1 (0:44)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight 
**Forfeits 30% of purse for missing weight 

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Manuel Torres
Performance of the Night: Brian Ortega
Fight of the Night: Daniel Zellhuber vs. Francisco Prado

Attendance: 21,456

• Like 1