DVDVR Message Board

MMA Live Event Discussion Thread, Winter 2024

Elsalvajeloco

GBbrH4lXUAIHu52.jpg?1702703968

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+: Ankalaev vs. Walker II
January 13, 2024
Las Vegas, NV (UFC Apex)

Magomed Ankalaev (204.5) vs. Johnny Walker (205.5) - Ankalaev, KO (punches), R2 (2:42)
Jim Miller (155.5) vs. Gabriel Benítez (155) - Miller, SUB (face crank), R3 (3:25)
Ricky Simón (136) vs. Mario Bautista (135.5) - Bautista, DEC (unanimous)
Phil Hawes (185) vs. Brunno Ferreira (185) - Ferreira, KO (punches), R1 (4:55)
Andrei Arlovski (247) vs. Waldo Cortes-Acosta (261.5) - Cortes-Acosta, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Matthew Semelsberger (170.5) vs. Preston Parsons (170.5) - Parsons, DEC (unanimous)
Marcus McGhee (135.5) vs. Gaston Bolaños (135.5) - McGhee, TKO (strikes), R3 (3:29)
Farid Basharat (136) vs. Taylor Lapilus (136) - Basharat, DEC (unanimous)
Westin Wilson (145.5) vs. Jean Silva (145.5) - Silva, TKO (punches), R1 (4:12)
Tom Nolan (155) vs. Nikolas Motta (155.5) - Motta, TKO (punches), R1 (1:03)
Felipe Bunes (125.5) vs. Joshua Van (125.5) - Van, TKO (punches), R2 (4:31)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Marcus McGhee
Performance of the Night: Brunno Ferreira
Performance of the Night: Jim Miller
Performance of the Night: Magomed Ankalaev 

I'm very interested in an Ankalaev vs. Perreira fight. Despite the wonky fight against Jan Blachowicz, Magomed still feels like one of the scariest most complete guys in the division.

On 1/14/2024 at 2:46 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

When Johnny Walker loses, man, he loses. The follow up shot by Ankalaev was MEAN.

Reminded me of Yoel Romero vs. Luke Rockhold, the second shot was brutal.

On 1/12/2024 at 8:12 AM, The Natural said:

Running a risk with Jim Miller getting injured/medically suspended so close to UFC 300 having fought at UFC 100 and UFC 200.

Jim Miller vs. Bobby Green at UFC 300 announced by Dana White.  Jim Miller has fought at UFC 100, UFC 200 and now UFC 300.

• Like 1

I think nothing says more about the current UFC product that the only reason why people even known there is a show this weekend is because of Sean Strickland being a complete hateful scumbag in a press conference

GA19Dy7bQAAL99G.jpg?1702097485

UFC 297: Strickland vs. Du Plessis
January 20, 2024
Toronto, Ontario, Canada (Scotiabank Arena)

UFC Middleweight Championship: Sean Strickland © (184.75) vs. Dricus du Plessis (184) (first defense) - Du Plessis, DEC (split)
UFC Women's Bantamweight Championship: Raquel Pennington (134.8) vs. Mayra Bueno Silva (135) (vacant) - Pennington, DEC (unanimous)
Neil Magny (170.75)  vs. Mike Malott (170.5) - Magny, TKO (punches), R3 (4:45)
Chris Curtis (185.25) vs. Marc-André Barriault (184.5) - Curtis, DEC (split)
Arnold Allen (145.5) vs. Movsar Evloev (145.75) - Evloev, DEC (unanimous)

ESPNews / ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Brad Katona (136) vs. Garrett Armfield (135.25) - Armfield, DEC (unanimous)
Charles Jourdain (145.5) vs. Sean Woodson (145.5) - Woodson, DEC (split)
Serhiy Sidey (135) vs. Ramon Taveras (139.75)** - Taveras, DEC (split)
Gillian Robertson (115.75) vs. Polyana Viana (115.75) - Robertson, TKO (punches), R2 (3:12)

ESPN+ / Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Yohan Lainesse (170.75) vs. Sam Patterson (169.5) - Patterson, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (2:03)
Jasmine Jasudavicius (133) vs. Priscila Cachoeira (133.5) - Jasudavicius, SUB (arm triangle choke), R2 (4:21)
Malcolm Gordon (127.5)* vs. Jimmy Flick (126) - Flick, SUB (arm triangle choke), R2 (1:17)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight 
**Forfeits 30% of purse for missing weight 

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Jasmine Jasudavicius
Performance of the Night: Gillian Robertson
Fight of the Night: Sean Strickland vs. Dricus du Plessis

Attendance: 18,559
Gate: $7.9 million

Only caught the third round of Jasmine Jasudavicius brutalizing Cachoeira so far. Had a big family dinner. Did I miss anything else?

Neil Magny just shit all over Mallott's coming out party.

100% finish rate vs. Neil Magny Decision Machine = lots of people losing lots of money apparently.

18 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Neil Magny just shit all over Mallott's coming out party.

100% finish rate vs. Neil Magny Decision Machine = lots of people losing lots of money apparently.

Magny is a very tough fight if you're not a high level prospect. Malott just let him hang around, and Magny worked his way back into the fight. It was academic from there.

I thought round 1 was close, but I could see giving that to the bigoted bum, 2-4 looked like they were all DDP's rounds, and 5 I thought the bigot edged DDP out.

I totally expected calls of robbery but I guess Strickland knew that fight was too close for comfort too.

Now we can finally move on to Du Plessis vs. Adesanya for the entire continent of Africa.

I'm happy DDP won, but to be honest, neither guy gave me any reason to believe Izzy isn't taking his title back unless the dude is just shot. I don't think that's the case, but he's been fighting in various forms for a long ass time.

I thought Sean Strickland won but I've been up all night and I'm tired as fuck. Dana White had it 2-2 going into the 5th and gave it to Strickland as I did. Looking online how close people have it one way or another reminds me of Frankie Edgar/Gray Maynard 2 (scored that to Edgar) and Dominick Cruz/TJ Dillashaw (scored that to Cruz). 

Edited by The Natural

Speaking of Frankie Edgar, congratulations on the UFC Hall of Fame. Edgar/Maynard 2 is in my top three MMA fights ever. Love that fight. I'm still pissed at Frankie Edgar getting robbed by Benson Henderson in their rematch. No wonder Edgar threw his hat at the fence. Edgar would have stayed at Lightweight before moving down. Shame Edgar couldn't beat Jose Aldo for the UFC Featherweight Championship. Always fought he'd go straight from Lightweight to Bantamweight.

Edited by The Natural

Because it was decision and it is current UFC, there will definitely be 2 more fights between the two.  Plus I would be stunned if Strickland isn't on every right wing show possible giving the Colby excuse.   Enjoy it now because he isn't going away.  Dana will make sure of that