DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 10/25 - 10/31/2023 - A Lethal Lottery

Dolfan in NYC

On 10/26/2023 at 9:31 AM, Technico Support said:

I'm sad they cut the part where Swerve ground his feet into Hangman's couch.

I would've never thought of this, but now that you've said it I'm gonna be livid if we don't get it at some point. 

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Love this but we need Mox on commentary doing his best Dusty impression to really round things out

I assume this want is more for Moxley's ability to do Dusty than his less than acceptable quality as a commentator. I watched Sabre v Danielson nearly on mute to avoid his inane ramblings. 

Further, to the previous discussion and idea that all play by play should all be done a specific way, my two favorite commentators of all time are Lance Russell and Joey Styles. Styles called everything, and with his gifted smooth and natural delivery. Lance was all about feeling and emotion, and there was nobody ever better. Lance Russell is my favorite wrestler/wrestling personality of all time. Dave Brown is incredibly underrated in his shadow. Tom Hannifan is my favorite pbp man in 2023 - tho, that's based on regular viewing a year ago and a match here in there in 2023. Excalibur is very good. At least when he avoid's Children's Story Hour - overtly explaining emotional details better left in silence for the viewer to digest. That and, not his fault, the over extension of his abilities with the easily forgettable Mirco Machine previews (undeniably well read) nearing the end of Wednesday broadcasts. AEW would benefit greatly from a half hour post game show featuring video packages and promos of the matches for the week ahead. Grant the time WBD.

18 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

For anyone wondering, J E Double F invited a certain resident of the greater Louisville area to the show on Wednesday, but they declined to attend. 

Must be on the sick and shut in list.

For a man who use to get stabbed and assaulted by fans all the time, it seems weird to be very afraid of other wrestling personalities.

22 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

The vitriol that man puts out towards AEW, I think he's more afraid of looking like a hypocrite if he attended

Or he is tad bit afraid someone might hit him so hard, he'd need the aid of a colonoscopy so he can brush his teeth.

Also, wouldn't it be more hypocritical to still watch after four years?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Or he is tad bit afraid someone might hit him so hard, he'd need the aid of a colonoscopy so he can brush his teeth.

Also, wouldn't it be more hypocritical to still watch after four years?

Not if it's your job to rag on it for hours at a time. And there are parts he likes

14 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Not if it's your job to rag on it for hours at a time. And there are parts he likes

Um...that's the very definition of hypocritical. His podcast(s) existed prior to AEW. Matter of fact, most of his content (at least when I was listen and safely assume afterwards) was largely on stuff not present day. Just bits and pieces were. So that's not really his job.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Um...that's the very definition of hypocritical. His podcast(s) existed prior to AEW. Matter of fact, most of his content (at least when I was listen and safely assume afterwards) was largely on stuff not present day. Just bits and pieces were. So that's not really his job.

I wish it was more old stuff. I only listen to segments on YT these days, not the whole show, but I doubt it’s more than 25% classic content. There have been a couple segments recently where he has talked about his month by month in 1983 Memphis, since it’s 40 years ago exactly. And he had a long interview with Tim Hornbaker about the Flair book. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I don't seem to remember Dusty just dropping F-bombs during whole matches. Really, the only connection is that he makes you laugh on commentary. He was actually fine working color with some good technical talk until he got too wound up and loud (and vulgar). 

Imagine if someone had “during the ad breaks” footage of Dusty swearing like the one UWF segment with Ross and Hayes cursing away,

9 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I wish it was more old stuff. I only listen to segments on YT these days, not the whole show, but I doubt it’s more than 25% classic content. There have been a couple segments recently where he has talked about his month by month in 1983 Memphis, since it’s 40 years ago exactly. And he had a long interview with Tim Hornbaker about the Flair book. 

So what about the Drive Thru? Is that kaput or did he just mish mash both formats? 

16 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

The Drive Thru is maybe at most 1/3 questions, stuck on near the end of the show?  The rest being news!recaps of WWE/ AEW tv shows. There’s really not a lot of difference between the two shows at this point. 

That seems a bit disconcerting especially when everyone (or at least a vast majority) who was defending him the last four to six years could at least say, "Hey, if you don't want to hear him bitch and moan...listen to the Drive Thru". Not folks don't even have that crutch. How the fuck does Mr. Independent and I Don't Leave the Confines of My Home Even if It's a Fan Convention with People I Like somehow start quiet quitting his own podcasts? I mean I guess it's his right to since he basically has quit and/or walked away from everything else. The last logical step would be firing himself.

Also, this does mean he has at least one thing in common with TK in that he doesn't give a damn in least bit about the quality of the shows relative to what they use to be. Maybe he wants to prove to Tony he's superior at driving away his ardent fans.

The fact that the 'invitation' idea came up from Conrad, who is disliked by Cornette's guest host, should tell you how dead on arrival it was.

IIRC, one of the reasons why Brian dislikes Conrad is because of matters involving Conrad's podcast borg trying to poach hosts from Brian's podcast group.

Also i'm sure there's also generalized reasons of not having to cause trouble for people that he likes in the company by showing up and the such since Cornette with a mic off a little less feisty than his podcast version.

5 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

The fact that the 'invitation' idea came up from Conrad, who is disliked by Cornette's guest host, should tell you how dead on arrival it was.

IIRC, one of the reasons why Brian dislikes Conrad is because of matters involving Conrad's podcast borg trying to poach hosts from Brian's podcast group.

Also i'm sure there's also generalized reasons of not having to cause trouble for people that he likes in the company by showing up and the such since Cornette with a mic off a little less feisty than his podcast version.

Last ain't his agent though. He cannot remove his head from Jim's ass just for one day? I mean it's just one day.

Also, who does Brian Last like that ain't already in the circle of old pro wrestling heads? He ain't the James Prince or Suge Knight of pro wrestling podcasts. Nobody gives a damn about his opinion. Hell, put the question to Cornette and he'd probably say he doesn't either. 🤣

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I don't agree, he watches to get content for his shows because those segments are the most profitable and occasionally he makes a good point. Seems like you have a low opinion of him, fair enough, I just think in this particular case he's changing with the times instead of a quiet quitting his own show

1 minute ago, Godfrey said:

I don't agree, he watches to get content for his shows because those segments are the most profitable and occasionally he makes a good point. Seems like you have a low opinion of him, fair enough, I just think in this particular case he's changing with the times instead of a quiet quitting his own show

Wait...wouldn't be changing with the times actually require him to embrace the younger generation ala Schiavone (who prior to AEW and even when he was with MLW didn't like a lot of the new stuff) or some of the other guys of Cornette's generation? Ridiculing it seems to bit ass backwards if it's changing with the times.

Also, hell, showing up to an AEW would give him a shitload more content since he would be right there. Imagine if he was as bold as he was when he showed up in ECW? What happened to THAT Jim Cornette? 

It's probably been awhile since Cornette attended a show that he wasn't working in some form unless he was pulled into watching some Wrestlemania weekend show when he was down there for the R&R induction. So it's not like he does the "i'll show up and greet my friends backstage when they're in town" thing for anybody.

Would it be inflating or deflating to other podcast hosts if they found out what % of JC money comes off of podcast-related items compared to the money he makes from his Collectables business? Because i'm guessing there's either people near the top of the food chain making more money than you'd think from podcasting and a bunch of people not making good money with about nobody in-between.

20 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Last ain't his agent though. He cannot remove his head from Jim's ass just for one day? I mean it's just one day.

Also, who does Brian Last like that ain't already in the circle of old pro wrestling heads? He ain't the James Prince or Suge Knight of pro wrestling podcasts. Nobody gives a damn about his opinion. Hell, put the question to Cornette and he'd probably say he doesn't either. 🤣

I mean, the only reason he's even around is because he knows how to hit record on some software. He has the most unearned sense of entitlement to the belief that he has credibility out there, especially for someone who initially started in podcasting by piggybacking off of Bix.

• Like 2