DVDVR Message Board

Starfield Omnibus Thread

I upgraded the Frontier via the video JT had posted earlier.

I probably will tweak it some because I don't know how I feel about devoting to one single weapon type. (I also need to fiddle with the power some more because while I thought I upgraded it... I am starting to realize maybe I had hit cancel instead)

First thing I did - after taking all the shit my companions were carrying and tossing it into the cargo hull - was buy all the ship parts I could find. And I still have like 300 space free.

My only other criticism is I am not thrilled at having to go up a floor to get to the bed

27 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I probably will tweak it some because I don't know how I feel about devoting to one single weapon type. (I also need to fiddle with the power some more because while I thought I upgraded it... I am starting to realize maybe I had hit cancel instead)

Map your bindings so that all you have to do to fire the EBs is hold RT.   The EBs have more range than your laser cannons and your ballistic gun and you don't have to wait for a missile lock.  Even better, the EB cannons that Sylver recommends do shield AND hull damage, so you get the best of all worlds in one weapon type. 

If you really miss having missiles, there is an extra slot on the default cowling to add a missile battery but that will add mass to your ship.  You will be fine in dogfights with the four EB cannons.

When you have the creds, upgrade your engines, grav drive, shields generator, and reactor. 

Don't be like me and immediately upgrade the He3 fuel tank before you have to.  You will get no more performance out of your ship by upgrading the He3 tank alone.  You also need to upgrade your grav drive.  If you only upgrade the He3 fuel tank from the default to the next higher capacity tank, all you will do is add mass and degrade your maneuverability.

Edited by J.T.

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

If you really miss having missiles, there is an extra slot on the default cowling to add a missile battery but that will add mass to your ship.

This is what I was debating doing - that being said, I haven't been in combat yet so I haven't tested it out (I had no ship parts hence why I am running around restocking those)

When you have the creds, upgrade your engines, grav drive, shields generator, and reactor.

I had already starting doing so because I have so much in the way of credits. But I also wanted to make sure I like the build period before fulling investing

That being said I have 1200 Cargo Hold and that is with only one point into Payloads. So I am in love with my beefy boy.

19 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

This is what I was debating doing - that being said, I haven't been in combat yet so I haven't tested it out (I had no ship parts hence why I am running around restocking those)

Just remember that you will see no performance gains for your EB cannons if you add missiles.   Any extra reactor power you could have devoted to your EB cannons to improve damage or the engines to improve speed / handling will go to your missile battery..

You could always micromanage combat by adding missiles and fiddling with the power profile, but why bother when EB cannons can do the heavy lifting in space combat? 

Then when you upgrade your reactor and shield generator one step up from the ones you chose with Sylver's build, the bonus power can go to maximizing shield integrity.

You've already taken a step in the right direction by maximizing cargo space as much as you can without degrading anything else.  You can never have enough Ship Parts and being able to perform combat repairs as often as you want is invaluable.

Eventually you will want to swap out your standard cargo containers for shielded ones if you want go smuggler and transport contraband.   See Lon Anderssen in The Red Mile on Porrima III about that.

Edited by J.T.

Almost forgot.  Had to revert to an old save because the follow up quest for Nyssa Marcano is hella bugged.

If you completed Distilling Confidence and Liquid Assets for Nyssa and go back to talk to her later on, she will give you a mission called Drinks on the House.  Your task is to go to the Well to locate a friend of hers who is scouting the Well to find a suitable a location for the bar that Nyssa plans to open, now that she has the financial backing you got for her in Liquid Assets..

The problem is that one of the locations in the quest (Sub 12) is locked behind a door with a key that no one in the game has. 

Hiding the current work around because it is related to some spoilery stuff:

Spoiler

You can use the Ryujin suggestion emitter to get a nearby security guard to open the door for you, but you cannot pickpocket the key that opens the door because he doesn't have it.

If you don't mind incurring a bounty, you can fire a few shots at some nearby squatters who will unlock the door for you as they flee in terror.  Just remember that you now have fine hanging on you that you should pay off as soon as you can.

Edited by J.T.

Sounds like the missing key bug has effected a few missions. 

I got sidetracked doing Groundpounder, so may not get back to it for a few days, may wait until the weekend when I have more playtime, I’m prob losing my Thursday night playtime for a podcast, ironically about Starfield. 

So question for those who finished the Mantis quest:

Spoiler

Did anybody figure out the password for the letter grid puzzle? I picked "Shrapnel" as a random 8-letter word, and walked over "Shrapne" only to find their was no "L" in the last row. So I picked "S" and made it to the other side with no turrets firing.

But I kind of doubt "Shrapnes" was actually the correct word, and most likely I hit a bug and any 8 letters would have been fine. Did everybody else have the same experience?

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

So question for those who finished the Mantis quest:

Reveal hidden contents

I know the password because I watched a couple of vidoes that made no attempt to not spoil it so I don't think its any old word works

I do know you can brute force it if you are fast enough so that might have been what happened in your case

I think me trying to do the Ryujin stealth mission was bugged. Couldn't open the vent inside the building. 

Decided to do Sarah's Casseopia mission instead. Along the way, ran into Juno. Curious what people chose for Juno. 

Stopped when I died fighting the rock creatures when I got the power cell. 

I really don’t understand the route plotting in this game

Im trying to do Sam’s loyalty mission (whatever you want to call it) and I can’t jump anywhere because every single route is fucked.

Routes will double back themselves or go further away than the destination. Even if I have discovered both places - it won’t go from Point A to Point B

50 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I really don’t understand the route plotting in this game

Im trying to do Sam’s loyalty mission (whatever you want to call it) and I can’t jump anywhere because every single route is fucked.

Routes will double back themselves or go further away than the destination. Even if I have discovered both places - it won’t go from Point A to Point B

You may already know this - but the starmap is 3-D. So how close the two dots are on your screen doesn't tell you much about the actual distance between the stars.

Full point to Bethesda for realism on that point, but not so much on clear interface design.

9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I really don’t understand the route plotting in this game.

Yeah, The Volii star system is two jumps from Alpha Centauri to Volii because the route for the first jump takes you around your elbow to get to your ass.

Speaking of Volii, I finished the Ebbside Strikers questline on Neon in about an hour.  I probably should've done it at a lowbie because I was way too overpowered for the challenge.

The deets:

Spoiler

The gang war between the Strikers and their rivals, the Disciples, is all engineered by Neon's Chief of Security, Owen Drexler.  Once you deal with the Disciples and win the turf war, Neon Security swoops in.... to recruit the winners.

Of course, the Strikers jump at the offer of gainful employment. 

It was a very bittersweet and satisfying Cyberpunk 2077 ending to the mission line.

The reward is a shitty Blue unique Kraken and some creds, but at least you got your wakizashi, right?

and a warning:

Spoiler

Once you finish the Strikers' first mission, The Audition, you can go to the Strikers' merchant, Hatchet, and buy the Wakizashi.  I did so immediately.

You also get some badass gang colors, but I digress.

At the conclusion of the final mission, the Strikers become cops.  I am not sure if Hatchet will still be able to sell you any items after she joins the Neon security forces so buy the sword at your first opportunity.

It is nice to be able to finally get some use out of my Neon Street Rat trait.  You can occasionally convince the Neon security guards to turn the other way if they catch you with a Stolen item by using your special dialogue option.  When you talk to Andrea at the beginning of the Strikers's quest line, you can impress her by saying that you grew up on Neon and have already heard of the Strikers and Disciples.

If you want to ditch the Neon Street Rat trait, talk to Madame Sauvage.  There is a dialogue tree that will allow you to renounce your hood origins, but Madame Sauvage will respect you more if you don't.

Just when you thought that the apartment in The Well was the worst, you can buy a sleepcrate for about 6K to serve as your digs in Neon and you can decorate and store shit there.   It is also the cheapest "house" you can buy in the game, obviously.

You can also rent the sleepcrate by the week or the day.    Renting is the cheaper option with the cheapest being just resting on the Frontier if you need to tick away game time.

Edited by J.T.

34 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

As I said earlier, I couldn't finish the Sign Hacking mission because I couldn't get in the door to see Briggs. That's a known bug. 

Yes, I have read about the bug on Reddit which is why I was super careful to save as often as I could so that I could revert to a save or reload the game if I encountered a bug.

Fortunately, I did not run into that glitch while working on the Striker mission line. 

I have seen some Reddit posts where people think they might have hit the bug because they ran ahead of Andrea during The Audition to go see Briggs, found that they could not open the door to his office on their own, and then waited for Andrea to open the door for them. 

This may or may not have broken her pathing, but I am not certain since I did not encounter the bug.

Edited by J.T.

For the one or two people here who know who Byf is, check out thenthapple's YouTube channel.  He seems to be the guy who has taken it upon himself to be the chronicler of Starfield lore, much like Byf is the guy to go to for all things Destiny 2.

He has put many hours into the game, so his vids may be spoilery for those not that far in.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

For the one or two people here who know who Byf is, check out thenthapple's YouTube channel.  He seems to be the guy who has taken it upon himself to be the chronicler of Starfield lore, much like Byf is the guy to go to for all things Destiny 2.

He has put many hours into the game, so his vids may be spoilery for those not that far in.

Tangential to that - True Vanguard has switched to a Starfield channel (this was a couple of months ago) which would have been great but I discovered the hard way that most of his videos are being done in NG+ so... yeah....

I think I discovered why I keep finding dead people randomly in Akila City

Turns out there is this random bug that keeps spawning hostile Elk Crangon's in the middle of the night.

I ran into it and it was wild because it was utter chaos. This is how I discovered my parents were in town because my Dad was one of the dudes who charged in to protect citizens