DVDVR Message Board

Starfield Omnibus Thread

Yeah, it's been awhile since I played Skyrim or any Fallout so I forgot about grabbing EVERYTHING, so I missed the stuff in tutorial Pirate lair, but I'm sure I'll be making up for it within a mission or so.

4 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Yeah, it's been awhile since I played Skyrim or any Fallout so I forgot about grabbing EVERYTHING, so I missed the stuff in tutorial Pirate lair, but I'm sure I'll be making up for it within a mission or so.

The one thing I am going to hate about this game is having to stay mindful of who is around when I loot enemies.  I know that the space cops frown upon such things and other factions probably will as well.

Edited by J.T.

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The one thing I am going to hate about this game is having to stay mindful of who is around when I loot enemies.  I know that the space cops frown upon such things and other factions probably will as well.

I got pinched on my first Constellation mission, so I wonder if that's "supposed" to be happen early in the game, to start you down a particular storyline involving the Crimson Fleet. 

Yep.  Looks like I will go Ronin and just gimp myself later on when I grab Pilot skills at the earliest opportunity.  Gymnastics, Concealment, Dueling, Martial Arts, and Ranged Weapons Training, here I come.

I will probably perpetuate my gimping with Security, Persuasion, and Theft when I should be investing in combat skills.

I will need a good science officer on my ship. 

Edited by J.T.

Controls could use some tweaking so that they are more like Skyrim and Fallout.  I am used to using RS to get in and out of Stealth / Crouch, but now I find myself drawing a weapon instead of getting low.  Once I figure out the Crouch system, I'll make better use of cover.

Gunplay is pretty solid.  Rifles feel like they have some heft to them and pistols are fairly accurate when ADS.  I was so busy scrambling to get a firearm that I forgot that I could've just used my laser cutter to defend myself.

Melee is not as satisfying as I'd like it to be, but maybe it is because I am a lowbie.  Crimson Fleet pirates do not enjoy getting hit in the faceplate of their spacesuit helmet with a rescue axe, that's for sure.

Edited by J.T.

Failed both my first persuasion and lockpick

I have since figured out "security" so we are good there

2nd Persuasion was successful in lowering someone's asking price... and then I realized I still didn't have enough credits. I save scummed to go back and will revisit when I actually have the credits

Of course I am also sending 2% back to my folks every week

41 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

It took me a while to figure out crouch and also jump. 

Can you remap the controller? I didn't look into that yet.

There is a section in Settings for button mapping, but there doesn't look like any sort of pre-set schema.  I'd like for there to be a "Skyrim" setting that automatically maps the controller to that configuration rather than me doing it one button / thumbstick at a time.

37 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Of course I am also sending 2% back to my folks every week.

I think I chose Wanted so I expect trouble at the first major enclave.  It seemed fitting since I am a Ronin and all.  I think i am going for the Operative from Serenity feel when I really start building.

I was leaning towards Alien DNA but then I remembered that I am an Elder Scrolls potion hoarder / Fallout meds hoarder from way back and am paranoid about being able to top off my health at all times.  Alien DNA makes you tougher but food and meds don't recover as much health.  That is a tough trade-off.

There is a similar trade-off for Wanted, but at least my damage modifier improves when my health is low and I can recover health at a normal rate, which can be improved with Fitness and / or Wellness, I think.

I probably should have chose Kid Stuff like you did since they said in the deep dive that:

Spoiler

One of the things you can get from your parents when you visit them is a new starship.

Edited by J.T.

As mentioned I took the ones that had your parents alive but you send money every week (it has Kids in the title)

I took the Adoring Fan one because I am an idiot

And I think Terra Firma was the last one I picked

• Like 2

15 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I did Introvert, Dream Home and Terra Firma as a professor. 

I think I have Wanted, Taskmaster, and Terra Firma.

I probably should've taken Kid Stuff not because of the gifts from your parents, but because I'm curious if you will get a set of generic parents or if the game will model your parent's appearance based on your Character Creation choices like Mass Effect Andromeda did.

Edited by J.T.

Did the first Constellation mission that ended up in the space station near the Moon.  Did decent in a firefight, and got a real good pistol.  Walked around overencumbered until I remembered it's a Bethesda game and could dump a bunch of stuff onto my companion/mule.  Now I'm open and I'm not really sure what I want to do (I did pick up the breadcrumb for the Secret Outpost but I'm scared I'm underleveled).

7 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Did the first Constellation mission that ended up in the space station near the Moon.  Did decent in a firefight, and got a real good pistol.  Walked around overencumbered until I remembered it's a Bethesda game and could dump a bunch of stuff onto my companion/mule.  Now I'm open and I'm not really sure what I want to do (I did pick up the breadcrumb for the Secret Outpost but I'm scared I'm underleveled).

I got a really good space suit as a drop doing that mission and then died and lost it. 😞

10 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Yeah - I totally forgot that too for a long while.

HOWEVER - it worked in my favor since since one of the requirements for increasing the Heavy Lifting perk (or whatever its called) is sprinting when you are at least 75% of your carrying weight. So I unintentionally was working on that

58 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Yup definitely a Bethesda game

I lost 30 minutes walking around listening to displays in a fucking museum 

I look forward to reading the collection of skill books I will amass over the course of the game and waste hours of time doing so.

Edited by J.T.

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

On the plus side, I was told once you read the magazines that give you skill bonuses, you can sell them. 

You have never played an Elder Scrolls game ever in your life.  In Skyrim and Oblivion, I had LIBRARIES loaded with books including the ones that gave skill bonuses.

You keep those shits, man.  You don't sell 'em.

I'll go back and collect once I build a house.

On the other side, I realized now that the Lunar station was probably easier than it should've been because I *may* have used a glitch that got be Constellation's Mark I gear well before I should've been able to open the case.