DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News 2023

Elsalvajeloco

It's hard to compare him to Pacquiao because Pacquiao built his whole career prior to the unbelievable run after the first Morales fight on being a complete whirlwind. He would just completely overwhelm people and was largely doing it with just the left hand. Naoya Inoue is basically Orlando Canizales, Finito Lopez, Azumah Nelson, lightweight era Roberto Duran, and young Juan Manuel Marquez all rolled into one. He fights with a ferocity you don't see typically from a fighter in the lighter weight classes.

I guess bring on the Tapales fight.

07.29_TMA_1320x560-200a14f4b9.jpg

Spence vs. Crawford 
July 29, 2023
Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

WBA Super World/WBC/IBF/WBO/Ring Magazine Welterweight Championship: Errol Spence © (147) vs. Terence Crawford © (146.8) - Crawford, TKO (referee stoppage), R9 (2:32)
- WBA Super World (Spence: first defense)
- WBC (Spence: third defense)
- IBF (Spence: seventh defense)
- WBO (Crawford: seventh defense)
- The Ring Magazine (vacant)

Isaac Cruz (134.6) vs. Giovanni Cabrera (134.2) - Cruz, DEC (split)
WBC Bantamweight Championship: Nonito Donaire (117.2) vs. Alejandro Santiago (117.6) (vacant) - Santiago, DEC (unanimous)
Yoenis Tellez (155.6) vs. Sergio Garcia (155.4) - Tellez, TKO (referee stoppage), R3 (2:02)

Youtube Preliminary Card:
Steven Nelson (167.8) vs. Rowdy Legend Montgomery (166.8) - Nelson, DEC (unanimous)
Jose Salas (121.6) vs. Aston Palicte (123.4) - Salas, TKO (referee stoppage), R4 (1:30)

Untelevised Preliminary Card:
Jabin Chollet (137) vs. Michael Portales (138.2) - Zamora, DEC (unanimous)
Justin Viloria (127.4) vs. Pedro Penunuri (129.6) - Prather, DEC (unanimous)
Demler Zamora (134.8) vs. Nikolai Buzolin (134.6) - Chollet, TKO (referee stoppage), R2 (1:58)
Kevin Ceja Ventura (150) vs. Deshawn Prather (150.2) - Viloria, TKO (referee stoppage), R4 (0:41)

Attendance
Gate:
Buyrate:

Man, Terence Crawford is probably the BEST counterpuncher I ever seen. Just scintillating.  I don't anyone from 154 or 160 who can touch him. He can legit be the first lightweight, welterweight, and middleweight champion ever.

• Like 3

Just now, Death From Above said:

If Crawford had fought 30 or 40 years ago people would talk about him like he was some kind of superhuman the way they do with the classic boxing greats. It's really crazy he isn't a bigger name in sports because he's an absolute madman in there.

I blame that partially on Arum a little bit because he INTENTIONALLY kept Manny and Crawford apart. Then, Manny got old(er) and lost to Jeff Horn in a questionable decision. Then, Bob is blaming Bud for not being a draw when Arum has got him out here fighting the remnants of Amir Khan and a virtually unknown in Mean Machine. Crawford should have jumped to PBC/Haymon well before he did. It probably took all of ten seconds to sign the Spence fight and provide a boost Bud hasn't had his entire career under Top Rank outside maybe the Porter fight. Now that his son in law is running the joint, it'll probably be different. However, Top Rank has that shiny new toy thing where after 2-3 years of you on top, they basically move on from you. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not, uh, exactly current events here, but I watched a documentery on Joe Louis and it's absolutely ridiculous what the IRS did to that man. He donated every penny he made fighting during the war to US forces charities, but because the checks were in his name the IRS came after him for a bajillion in back taxes and left him destitute for the rest of his life. Fuck off.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Death From Above said:

I guess Usyk and Dubois will rematch because that "low" blow wasn't low. 

I think the outcome was decisive enough where there won't be that much controversy.

5 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

That's never stopped people in boxing from milking the cash cow before though, plus Fury is taking gimmick fights instead of actual boxing now so it's not like there's anything for Usyk to do.

They always find some mandatory out there. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I suppose. It's a shame Usyk is already 36, which granted in boxing these days probably means he has like 5 years left.

I mean at heavyweight, if you only fight every 5-6 month max, you can drag this out for awhile. I mean at some point guys like Jared Anderson (fwiw also fighting tonight) and Hrgovic have to get title shots. The winner of Zhang/Joyce II has to eventually fight whoever has to real WBO title.

1 hour ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

I watched the replays of the disputed punch and it was a foul. Usyk probably milked it but I wouldn't want to get hit there. The British homerism is as bad as it gets in boxing but Tony Bellew and Carl Froch agree it was a foul

Maybe it's a purely coincidental, but on Friday I was watching the fight that would end up leading to the 10 second warning clapper in boxing: Marlon Starling vs. Tomas Molinares. In short, midway through the scheduled twelve rounds for the WBA welterweight title, Molinares lands an absolutely devastating right that puts Starling down and out after Molinares was getting thoroughly dominated for most of the bout. However, it's CLEARLY after the bell. It's not something you have watch several slow motion replays to figure out what happened. This is a case though where two things can be true. Starling clearly should have been protecting himself as the round ended. It was well after the bell had sounded but not long enough where it's plausible both fighters should be headed back to their respective corners. It's so egregious though that you cannot rule out possibly disqualifying Molinares. Enough time had elapsed where he could have stopped his punching motion. IMO it's definitely a case of a fighter who is frustrated he hadn't been able to land anything significant through five or six rounds and was desperate knowing that he's running out of rounds on the scorecards to even get a draw. He was having very little success, if any. 

To make things a little worse is Larry Hazzard (Sr.) (who had a ton of a experience as a referee in big boxing matches FWIW and now as the acting head of the New Jersey athletic control board) in full throated fashion declares it's NOT a foul even after the HBO crew brings him down to show him a few replays. That's how convinced they were that this was a foul even though a TV broadcaster probably should not be trying to influence the outcome of a boxing match. That doesn't change Larry's mind though. After each replay, he vociferously declares that's it is indeed a legal blow and Molinares was in a punching motion as the belt sounds even though that's definitely not the case. He's as a sure as he can possibly be. I know it's his job to back his referee especially as a referee himself, but he's doing the commission no favors especially since as it would turn out the result ultimately got overturned to a no contest. There is a similiar thing that happens I believe during a fringe contender fight between Lance Whitaker and David Dixon in Las Vegas on the undercard of a David Tua tuneup fight before Tua fought Lennox Lewis. In this case, it's a strange one sided refereeing job where Richard Steele rules a clear low blow from Whitaker as a knockdown of Dixon and then misses another low blow from Whitaker. Then, Dixon ends up retaliating shortly afterwards and winds up getting DQ'd. It's just extremely bizarre. Marc Ratner, head of the Nevada commission at the time, basically intervenes on his referee's behalf and frantically gets Richard Steele out of the ring so the Showtime crew cannot ask him any questions regarding his decision to disqualify Dixon. It's just screams lack of accountability at best and potentially some dubious, screwy Nevada commission ploy at a time when something always seem to happen in the state at worst. It borders on fight fixing and foul play, which is not ideal when Nevada constantly found itself at the center of controversy when it came to boxing. Mind you the Whitaker vs. Dixon fight happened a month before Mitch Halpern's suicide, which for time I found to be a little odd considering Halpern was a respected young referee on his way up despite some controversies himself.

Anyway, with Starling vs. Molinares, the only outcomes that a referee should be thinking about are a no contest or a disqualification. It's not really open up for interpretation. Molinares did an illegal act that directly impacted the outcome of the fight as Starling clearly wasn't going to be allowed to continue and couldn't. The act itself doesn't need to be thoroughly analyzed. Now the specific act of a low blow can be because the reviewing parties can always use the loophole of a fighter wearing his cup up high in order to influence a referee to call something when he knows his opponent favors working towards the body. Boxers alway look for any little advantage. That's why it's extremely hard for fights to get overturned unless it's outright egregrious. Matter of fact, the Starling vs. Molinares fight probably wasn't even the strangest incident of the night. In the preceding bout for the WBC version of the welterweight crown, Lloyd Honeyghan beat a Korean fighter named Young Kil Jung by TKO after Jung failed to continue to fight once the allotted time to recover from a clear low blow landed by Honeyghan. Now, Young Kil Jung was certainly milking it to the point where for some reason he's reaching for his back and his trainers are in the ring giving him some type of massage on his back. It's (bad) acting at it's finest. The thing is though I don't think Honeyghan should be rewarded with a win for a foul. It's grounds for a no contest as it's definitely not enough to DQ Honeyghan. He should be able to keep his title. Between those two bouts that night  though, which were suppose to lead to a Starling vs. Honeyghan unification bout that still somehow ended up happening, it's just a gigantic clown show all around especially when it came to the commission not following simple logic to a fault and trying to bend the their own rules.