DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE!- 1/4/2023!

DEAN

Good show overall, great main event.  Obviously I wanted Joe to have a long run, but I’d rather put the belt on Darby than give it back to Wardlow. Darby needs more singles matches so can’t complain too much. Great moment. Hope this means Joe is moving up the card because they really need to capitalize on this run.  Put him in the ring with Omega or Hangman or some shit.

Swerve continues to be awesome.

Can’t believe there are people here being so loud wrong about MJF the wrestler. Did he start his career off being shaky in the ring or something before I started watching?  Everything I have seen would suggest he is one of the best in-ring guys in the company. Very much appreciate the change of pace he provides and the focus on storytelling.  Like Punk a bit in that way, but athletic enough that it’s more of a choice for him than a necessity which I can appreciate. Loved those Punk matches and count me in the group that really loved that Darby match as well. Can’t wait for the iron man. 

That Dragon/MJF back and forth sucked though…

Edited by Jrag
  • Like 3

I fucking love the Hangman/Mox feud. I think it might be my favorite AEW feud since Eddie and Punk. It's such a great twist. Why wouldn't over time two fan favorites hate each other but still remain fan favorites? These guys are all competitors and they should even still have rivalries and jealousies and personality clashes. Mox also teased a long time ago in a promo his disdain of Hangman when he called him emo. What I like about this feud is that it's a feud based on the injury in the match but is a broader story about two guys from different walks of life -- and they aren't spelling out the broader story for us.

They are so similar. Both are at the top of their craft. Both are devoted family guys. Both have their struggles and demons.

Mox is the cool-as-hell street dude badass who runs into every challenge and does not apologize for his actions, which makes him sort of a dick. He's the old-school version of what we considered "manhood" but that's not a bad thing. There's something to be said about putting your head down and grinding through struggles. I have a few people in my life who struggle with addiction issues and get through it by doing their work and committing to their families but they don't talk about what they deal with outside of a very limited group but still go to meetings. That's a certain type of toughness. Mox is a modern day John Wayne.

Hangman's "Cowboy Shit" is about what "manhood" has started to mean over the past few years. We've seen pro athletes (and Eddie Kingston) who you'd think be in the Mox camp be open about their struggles. It's now brave to be open and talk about mental health issues and anxieties and fears honestly. Hangman's promo about how he couldn't remember his daughter's name for a few minutes after his bell was rung really hit. Cowboys used to be John Wayne. But now cowboys can be real people, too. 

I'm in the Hangman camp and am open about my struggles. But there's part of me that wishes I could be Mox and deal with my shit quietly. 

Those two guys are going to have a banger of a brawl. 

• Like 11

13 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

Initially I thought they'd have Joe win so that (returning) Wardlow would get revenge, but wrestling logic dictates the crowd has to go home happy and have the local hero win. I'm guessing they're going to build up Wardlow's return to (maybe) take the ROH TV Title? Plus he has to sell the loss of his manbun.

So I realize it's a bit of a rehash, but there's still so much to Hobbs' story I want to know about. Mainly, why did he join Team Tazz after weeks of turning them down? Also I remembered that short time when he was going to team up with Mox and Darby, Mox gave him a hell of a promo and I'd like that to be revisited. Despite all he's done I simply cannot boo Hobbs, his life story makes him a natural face.

I feel that as entertaining as this Joe run has been, there is certainly more upside to Wardlow due to his youth.

Hobbs briefly explained this this after he turned on Starks, Tazz brought him in as the hired muscle to protect the FTW title. Once Starks lost ie he basically said "fuck it" and went solo

• Like 3

19 hours ago, DJ Hero Morganti said:

Me and my partner went to Dick's.  There were a few other folks who went to the show that we saw.

Then we went back to their house and watched the show to listen to commentary.

Was Sir Mix-A-Lot there with his posse?

Well now.  That was quite awesome.

It pretty amazing to me how I’ve really turned around on Swerve.  Couldn’t stand him in MLW and he was primarily the reason I never got into them.  All in spite of how dedicated I was to their podcast.  But this evil villain character is working for me.  Fox put him over strong too.

The Gunns were pretty great too surprisingly.  They need some character work soon to differentiate themselves.  This is suddenly promising.

Even Jade looked pretty good on this show.  It’s good look to have her looking massive by comparison to everyone else in the ring.

In a lifetime of super epic matches.  It refreshing to see a good old short banger like Bryan and Nese.  I get why it kind of a lost art.  Years of pointless too short and shallow RAW matches sorta made me forget those kinds matches could have merit.  But then again Bryan is like… the greatest everer.

Shida… make friends with Sasha.  Problem solved.

Lots to look forward to.  That LA show is looking like quite the something.  Hopefully, everyone who has a ticket watched this show.  That’s how you crowd.

• Like 6

Who do you want Bryan Danielson to wrestle in the storyline he has to win every match till 8th February in order to get MJF for the AEW World Championship in a 60 minute Iron Man match? 

There's five weeks, five AEW Dynamite shows and four AEW Rampage. I'm booking Bryan Danielson on all nine as I love me Bryan Danielson.

Here are my picks:

• Konosuke Takeshita. Man, when that graphic popped up, I was wanting it to be next Wednesday already.
  • Samoa Joe. Bryan works great with bigger guys. Joe is the current ROH World Television Champion but fuck it, wanting to see them get it on takes precedence.
  • Darby Allin. Allin is the new TNT Champion but fuck it, wanted to see this since Danielson debuted in AEW.
  • Jon Moxley. Danielson finally beats Mox having lost twice to him in AEW. Mox owes him.
  • Claudio Castagnoli. These two have great chemistry. The match within the Gauntlet match on WWE RAW, 22nd July 2013 was the best one.
  • Keith Lee. Bryan works great with bigger guys.
  • Orange Cassidy. Such a contrast in styles.
  • Cash Wheeler. Cash doesn't get the singles opportunities Dax does. We've seen Danielson/Dax, now Danielson/Cash.
  • Ricky Starks. Future ace.

PAC narrowly missed out.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, The Natural said:

Who do you want Bryan Danielson to wrestle in the storyline he has to win every match till 8th February in order to get MJF for the AEW World Championship in a 60 minute Iron Man match? 

There's five weeks, five AEW Dynamite shows and four AEW Rampage. I'm booking Bryan Danielson on all nine as I love me Bryan Danielson.

Here are my picks:

• Konosuke Takeshita. Man, when that graphic popped up, I was wanting it to be next Wednesday already.
  • Samoa Joe. Bryan works great with bigger guys. Joe is the current ROH World Television Champion but fuck it, wanting to see them get it on takes precedence.
  • Darby Allin. Allin is the new TNT Champion but fuck it, wanted to see this since Danielson debuted in AEW.
  • Jon Moxley. Danielson finally beats Mox having lost twice to him in AEW. Mox owes him.
  • Claudio Castagnoli. These two have great chemistry. The match within the Gauntlet match on WWE RAW, 22nd July 2013 was the best one.
  • Keith Lee. Bryan works great with bigger guys.
  • Orange Cassidy. Such a contrast in styles.
  • Cash Wheeler. Cash doesn't get the singles opportunities Dax does. We've seen Danielson/Dax, now Danielson/Cash.
  • Ricky Starks. Future ace.

PAC narrowly missed out.

I like your picks in general, although I think there needs to be at least one more up-and-comer he can give a rub to like Takeshita. I said it elsewhere, but he and Darius Martin could have a really fun banger of a match based on last week's tag match. I also don't know how many current champions you would want losing to Bryan in a non-title match, because it makes them seem secondary, which sucks because I want to see him against Joe, Claudio, and OC.

I think Claudio is inevitable to further BCC tension and as mindgames on MJF's part.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JLowe said:

I like your picks in general, although I think there needs to be at least one more up-and-comer he can give a rub to like Takeshita. I said it elsewhere, but he and Darius Martin could have a really fun banger of a match based on last week's tag match. I also don't know how many current champions you would want losing to Bryan in a non-title match, because it makes them seem secondary, which sucks because I want to see him against Joe, Claudio, and OC.

I think Claudio is inevitable to further BCC tension and as mindgames on MJF's part.

I forgot Orange Cassidy was AEW All Atlantic Champion, thanks for the reminder. We agree that you don't want secondary champions jobbing in a non title match but I still want to see all three. You're also right to give a newbie wrestler to AEW a rub. Darius Martin is a good shout. Rey Fenix just missed the cut like PAC as you get Danielson grinding down a high flyer. Eddie Kingston also just missed the cut. Hope we don't get Daniel Garcia again.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 2:53 PM, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

For better or worse, it's consistent with MJFs lame heel schtique to make those sorts of comments for cheap heat. 

Its really not relevant to Bryan Danielson, the on screen character to spend five minutes telling everyone how many men his mother slept with. Given it's not the first time he's out of nowhere made those sort of comments about women, I get the feeling he's telling on himself a bit.

I take it you didn't watch Total Divas in the early years? Bryan was a grade A dick to Brie at times.

Regarding MJF, I'm not sure where people get the idea that he can't actually wrestle comes from, every time he goes out there it's good at worst. I remember a really good Jungle Boy match at either Revolution 2020 of All Out 2020.

There seems to be a genuine misunderstanding of what Bryan's intentions were in insulting Mrs. Friedman. It very much reminds me of the time Raven complained, quite accurately, that WCW was being written by people who had never been in a fistfight and therefore had no idea what actual men might actually want to fight about. In my opinion, when a man insults another man's mother what is actually going on is a challenge to the son's manhood. It's understood that nobody is actually claiming that anyone's mother has actually slept with a lot of men, or genuinely has her own postal code, or legitimately can't afford to pay attention. Also, with only a few unfortunate exceptions, nobody really thinks "your momma" jokes are legitimately amusing in this day and age. 

What is being implied is much more along the lines of "If you were as much of a man as I am, you would not allow me to say these things about your mother. Yet, here I am saying them. Thus, you are a cowardly weakling and less of a man than I."

It's a (childish, immature, but very effective) way to goad someone into fighting you. Or to shame THEM, by backing them down.

It's certainly not "slut shaming." 

It's not actually about anyone's mother at all.

Bryan made " Human Suitor" jokes with a big goofy grin on his face to put MJF in his place after Friedman tried to challenge Bryan's manhood by implying that Bryan's mother slept with a goat. What was being implied, in MJF's insult and in Bryan's comeback was clearly, in neither case, actually about Mrs. Friedman or Mrs. Danielson. They were insulting and challenging each other's manhood. 

Now, if you want to claim that there are more tasteful ways to do that, you'll get zero argument from me. On the other hand, implying that Bryan really believes that Mrs. Friedman is unusually promiscuous, or that he is legit trying to imply such a thing, or that he even really cares about how she conducts her personal life, is either disingenuous or straight-up ignorant of the ways of the playground.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, speaking of disingenuous arguments, no I'm not suggesting that Bryan Danielson, the real person, actually believes that MJF's mother is unusually promiscuous. I'm implying that he believes it's a perfectly normal thing to say in 2022, either within the realms of a scripted professional wrestling TV show or in real life, and that there's a certain responsibility to not normalize it.

The legitimacy of whether they are or are not promiscuous is irrelevant. Just bringing it up legitimizes the idea that people have a right to be judgmental about whether anyone is or isn't promiscuous in the first place. 

Let's not pretend that we're less than a decade removed from any woman on a wrestling show getting a "Show Your Tits" chant, or most getting a "She's A Crack Whore" reaction for doing anything more than existing.

If nothing else, your response shows that those sorts of challenges are just dog-whistling to anyone who thinks women in their lives are some sort of property to possess and must be defended through violence. 

A decent amount of fights in real life generally kick off from racial or homophobic slurs also, should we add those to the average wrestling promo because that's how a *real* fight starts?

Edited by GuerrillaMonsoon
  • Thanks 1