DVDVR Message Board

UFC 253: Adesanya vs. Costa (9/26/2020) - Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UFC Fight Island)

Elsalvajeloco

I haven't had such a (positive) vocal reaction to an MMA fight in a long, long time. I'm surprised at how happy I am that Adesanya took that. As seemingly basic a concept of "start by kicking low, then kick high" seems to be, when perfected, it works well. I was frustrated the headkick Izzy landed didn't close the show; instead, it skimmed while still being effective. Then again...another glancing shot lead to the true end of the fight. 

It's also really fun seeing someone I've never heard of in Royval, and being on board with what he brings at the end of the card. So great.

• Like 1

Did Costa believe he was super human and could take infinite low kicks to his lead leg? Instead of mocking Adesanya and playing around, he probably should have spent that time trying to cut him off. When Costa started throwing that high kick that you could time with a sundial, it was just a matter of time. Costa wasn't gonna land that right hand. Defensively, Adesanya was just way too sharp. If Costa couldn't sit down and throw that right hand, what good is he? He wasn't gonna ever chase down Adesanya and catch him. Plus, once the punishment started soaking in on Costa's legs, Adesanya was able to make him bite on every feint. He had Costa in the fear zone.

Just a masterful performance from Adesanya.

• Like 2

Conor McGregor has to troll the media however he can so people will talk about something other than his multiple sexual assault cases. 

I'm not sure what Paulo Costa's game plan was for that fight. I assume he thought if he could flex his muscles, he'd scare Adesanya into submission. Also this:

Geezus.

I think Paulo Costa had my favorite line of the night: "That leg is trash."

Man I woke up and my first thought this morning was "What the fuck was Costa working on this whole time?" Like he's had damn near a year to prep for this and all he had was some prop-comedy and some impersonations. 

Thinking back on what @Elsalvajelocosaid before the fight, Costa clearly had  to figure out the difficult puzzle of cutting Izzy off and finding an angle where he could land his shot. I thought he would have come up with something halfway decent in all that time that would have given him a chance to land an equalizer. I didn't think he was the favorite, I just figured he could have found something to give him a chance. 

The solution Costa came up with was to literally tell Izzy to stand in front of him so he could punch him good.

Million dollar body, 10 cent brain kinda shit. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Man I woke up and my first thought this morning was "What the fuck was Costa working on this whole time?" Like he's had damn near a year to prep for this and all he had was some prop-comedy and some impersonations. 

Thinking back on what @Elsalvajelocosaid before the fight, Costa clearly had  to figure out the difficult puzzle of cutting Izzy off and finding an angle where he could land his shot. I thought he would have come up with something halfway decent in all that time that would have given him a chance to land an equalizer. I didn't think he was the favorite, I just figured he could have found something to give him a chance. 

The solution Costa came up with was to literally tell Izzy to stand in front of him so he could punch him good.

One of the worst MMA game plans ever.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Agreed though he did manage to get Israel up against the fence at least once or twice. He just didn't do anything. He was biting on every feint because he looked to me to be overwhelmed by the spotlight (looked uncomfortable during his walkout, fucking around with his cup, for instance) and more importantly I don't think he was ready for Adesanya's speed. So he was a deer in the headlights and the leg kicks did damage from the outside. Trying to goad Adesanya into a slugfest was his way of saving face even though it made him look like more of an idiot than he already was. 

• Like 2

• jaedmc unpinned this topic