DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

You just said it was Ray Gordy who told the story. I've just pointed you to the point in the episode where it is Foley. 

Your entire back and forth is "YEAH BUT JIM CORNETTE SAID HE WAS A DRUG ADDICT TOO", and to assume that this is somehow me defending Terry Gordy as a favourite wrestler of mine, or that I'm somehow offended/under the misassumption that Dark Side Of The Ring was something else. 

Acknowledging his problems is not one in the same as telling a highly specific third hand story about the extent of his problems. Just best left unsaid? And yeah, I think that's talking shit. Unless I'm grossly underestimating the mass appeal of wanting your coworkers to tell stories about you trying to score drugs off strangers on a plane after you die.

The irony of you missing the appeal of "he was right but maybe he should have shut the fuck up here?" is not lost.

Edited by GuerrillaMonsoon

Just now, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

You just said it was Ray Gordy who told the story. I've just pointed you to the point in the episode where it is Foley. 

What story? Please clarify that.

that I'm somehow offended/under the misassumption that Dark Side Of The Ring was something else. 

Well, apparently you are because on the fact you have shit for someone sharing a story on something on a series and network that talks routinely about dark and insane shit.

2 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Acknowledging his problems is not one in the same as telling a highly specific third hand story about the extent of his problems. Just best left unsaid? And yeah, I think that's talking shit. Unless I'm grossly underestimating the mass appeal of wanting your coworkers to tell stories about you trying to score drugs off strangers on a plane after you die.

Well if I was a drug addict who OD'd on a FUCKING plane and got brain damage, then yeah I don't think i can fault them very much. THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, MAN? Are you high? The throughline for the ENTIRE episode is his drug use which resulted in a life changing OD. Perish the thought someone talk about it. 

5 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Please clarify "dark and insane shit"

When did VICE which covers the DARK SIDE in every industry and shows some of the most graphic and disturbing things become PBS children's shows? The whole thing about Vice especially if you saw there HBO shows is they cover EVERYTHING. 

It's like I'm talking to a real-life Shane Douglas promo circa 1995. 

"THIS IS EXTREME CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING DARK FUCKING SIDE OF THE MOTHERFUCKING RING."

Are you suggesting that because he had an addiction, he is somehow less entitled to his peers gossiping about him after death? 

Personally, I like the show, because, yes, it deals with those who struggled with addiction, and provides insight and context into their background, growing up, etc that may have played a part in their struggles later in life. Mick Foley saying he heard from a girl who was going steady with him that he passed out at 31 Flavours last night not so much.

It's like I'm talking to a real-life Shane Douglas promo circa 1995. 

"THIS IS EXTREME CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING DARK FUCKING SIDE OF THE MOTHERFUCKING RING."

Are you suggesting that because he had an addiction, he is somehow less entitled to his peers gossiping about him after death? 

That's not gossip. He routinely did drugs on a plane. That's a fact. I've heard no less than four or five stories about Gordy doing drugs on a plane. Mick's story is just one. Gordy wasn't the only guy who did drugs on a plane. He just happened to be the one who OD'd THUS we get an entire episode on it. 

Personally, I like the show, because, yes, it deals with those who struggled with addiction, and provides insight and context into their background, growing up, etc that may have played a part in their struggles later in life. 

Again, it's called DARK SIDE OF THE RING. Even these random Biography shows and adjacent documentary programming cover salacious items. What Mick said wasn't even that. Not even halfway. Even you said you don't disagree with him. Roughly 75 percent of the show is about Gordy being this manchild (their words, not mine) who got into wrestling perhaps too young to develop any proper social skills and life skills (even his kids pointed out he literally couldn't do anything), had a massive life changing event, and he spent the remaining time on Earth after that struggling mightily. That footage they showed was absolutely heartbreaking. They literally picked bits and pieces to provide the context to the heartbreaking details. What Mick provided was levity if anything cause boy was that footage damning on how the wrestling industry spits and chews people out and enables their worst habits from sexual deviancy, drug use, racism, sexism, bigotry, and various types of disturbing behavior. A guy like Terry Gordy couldn't exist in today's wrestling because he would get in, screw up immediately, and then be cast down to work in the indies in anonymity for the rest of his career. If you want just general details, you're probably just safe reading Wikipedia entries. Dark Side of the Ring might not be for you.

Keep in mind, last week, Slick Johnson shared stories about Buff and his crazy ball shaving mama. Yet, Marcus Bagwell is alive and he didn't seem too embarrassed cause he himself said his mom loved him enough to do anything for him. I am 100% certain if Gordy was alive, he would laugh his ass off cause the stories of him in Dallas at the house the Freebirds lived at made Foley's story some shit on Barney. I am surprised they left THAT part out. He lived a very crazy life. Guess what happened? It bit him in the ass. Now if he didn't OD, you might halfway have a point even if the rest would still be absolutely asinine. Except he did, unfortunately. They talked about it on show. The end.

Mick Jagger's drug use was well documented. It doesn't mean he has less a right to privacy, or me any more right to know about the alleged Marianne Faithfull/Mars Bar story. I still don't understand the undertone of your "well he was a drug addict, he deserved it" narrative either.

I agree with Foley (and the other talking heads) perspective that Gordy was a shell of who he was in-ring after he was in a coma. That much is abundantly clear to anyone. Please don't conflate that with anything else. We'll just agree to disagree on conflating that a need for further context on a person's life, should also mean it's a free for all with stories from people who claimed to be his friends.  I don't think you can compare the stories Slick Johnson told that a) he was there for and experienced, b) were about someone still alive to respond and c) were somewhat in jest or "too crazy to be true" rather than just kicking dirt on the grave.

42 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Mick Jagger's drug use was well documented. It doesn't mean he has less a right to privacy, or me any more right to know about the alleged Marianne Faithfull/Mars Bar story. I still don't understand the undertone of your "well he was a drug addict, he deserved it" narrative either.

The whole reason celebs or public figures can't just simply sue EVERYONE for libel is as you stated DOCUMENTATION. That and you obviously can spin stuff as satire. However, once documentation is provided, then what else is needed? That has nothing to due with a right to privacy. We're not talking about the paparazzi following someone in the grocery store or TMZ following something in the airport. Terry Gordy has been dead for how long now? 20+ years? What privacy are we protecting? HE'S DEAD. That and his life is being DOCUMENTED on a documentary series that's literally about the worst aspects of peoples live. I dunno if you ever seen a documentary before, but I guess apparently not. And at no point did I say he deserve it. Also, I dunno what the fuck you mean by deserve it cause again it's a documentary series. The subject is Terry Gordy. It wasn't like it was about Bill Dundee and then Mick said something about Terry Gordy. On a show centered around him (Terry Gordy) OD ing on plane, Mick Foley told a relevant story about man's drug usage....much like people on that episode talked about and other episodes of Dark Side.

42 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

he was in a coma. That much is abundantly clear to anyone. Please don't conflate that with anything else. We'll just agree to disagree on conflating that a need for further context on a person's life, should also mean it's a free for all with stories from people who claimed to be his friends.  I don't think you can compare the stories Slick Johnson told that a) he was there for and experienced, b) were about someone still alive to respond and c) were somewhat in jest or "too crazy to be true" rather than just kicking dirt on the grave.

The fuck are you talking about kicking dirt on his grave? His children talked about the destructive life he led. So he did his nephew. So did everyone else who knew him.

And yes, I can compare it to Slick Johnson because Slick shared a story 100% more embarrassing than the story Mick and others told cause if we didn't know hearsay about Buff's life, his story wouldn't be valid. Much like if we didn't know Terry Gordy was a drug addict, other stories people here on DVDVR or through countless shoot interviews wouldn't be valid. For 15-20 years, people talked about Buff's mom shaving his balls. However, 9 out of 10 people WEREN'T there much like Miranda Gordy or Ray Gordy talking about their dad headbutting a goddamn a cop car llke a brute. They weren't there. Shit, 50% of the stories on Dark Side...folks weren't there, are misremembering things and changing timelines, or speaking on stuff that was passed down. Hell, Tales from the Territory, roughly 1/2 of that was guys speaking about folks who weren't even in the territory at the same times. However, much like this episode, as this guy wrestled so long ago and roughly a quarter of his contemporaries are dead or can't simply be there you get a mish mash of everything. So I dunno how you made it this long on Dark Side of the Ring. You probably should have quit like...maybe 3 or 4 seasons ago. 

8 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

"They can do that. There's no rule that says they can't"
"Yes, I know, doesn't mean they should"

THEY SHOULD CAUSE IT'S A SHOW CALLED DARK SIDE OF THE RING, DUMMY.

What do you want to them to say on DARK SIDE OF THE RING? 

I have punched holes into everything you've said, but you cannot properly counter anything. Hell, if you can find anyone who agrees with your drivel, I might give you a hundred bucks. So yeah, someone might be a little precarious about some dumbass being offended about something so innocuous.

His children said he was a bad father. Are they burying their dad?

They show Terry Gordy showing clear signs of brain damage. How is that better regarding Terry Gordy's legacy than what Foley said?

People called him a big manchild. How is that protecting Terry Gordy?

They did a renactment of him headbutting a cop car. Is that protecting Terry Gordy? What sane person does that? 

There are literally countless examples I can point out where Terry Gordy wasn't painted in the greatest of lights. But Mick Foley is somehow the biggest offender.

3 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Wait, what's the name of the show again? I forget.

Was what I said not factual? Did all those things in the show not happen? Cause apparently not only myself but others who watched the show saw something entirely different. Are his kids lying? Is his nephew lying? Is everyone else on the show lying? 

Just a quick heads up - I just listened to the Pink Floyd album of a similar name to that, cover to cover, and I can tell you Mick Foley is not on there snitching on the moon AT ALL.

Don't deflect like you've been doing. Go ahead and answer. 

Is everyone on the show lying? Because we sit here and try to nitpick what ONE person said. What about literally everyone else on the show? Is them saying that he wasn't right mentally after he OD a lie? Cause it's either a fact or lies. Hell, the fact you can even OD on a plane even pre September 11, 2001 is insane. How many plane OD stories have we heard? Cause I've heard all the soma stories but that was not on public transportation. That was going from town to town with the other boys and not with civilians. 

This isn't Night Court. It's not deflecting if you're going to go on absurd tangents. No-one is lying. Lived experiences are just that. Third hand gossip is not. Speaking of deflecting - why do you keep inferring he deserves it because of his drug use? 

12 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

This isn't Night Court. It's not deflecting if you're going to go on absurd tangents. 

Point out what I said was absurd. You're whole issue if you can't discuss something related to the subject being discussed. If that ain't absurdity, then I dunno what is. 

Third hand gossip is not. Speaking of deflecting - why do you keep inferring he deserves it because of his drug use? 

Again...have you seen the show? It's not gossip if the entire show is centered around people discussing things they personally weren't there for, dummy. Was Cornette on the plane with Gordy when he OD'd? He wasn't. I guess we got to shit on him too. 

Also, where did I say he deserves it? He OVERDOSED. What did you think happened? He had a bad reaction to Flintstone vitamins? He had an allergic reaction to the peanuts on the plane. His drug use has been notoriously documented pre Dark Side of the Ring. Even his kids said he wasn't a boy scout. It seems they are very acclimated to the idea their dad not being a saint. Shit, Ray was in the business when guys were still doing somas like people eating Tic Tacs so he cannot exactly say much to contradict anything. Those two shot directly out his nutsack and both work or have worked in the business. If they can have that stance and be perfectly fine with stating the naked truth, especially as people who know how crazy wrestling is, then what anyone said on the show should not have that reaction. Are they bad, passive aggressive people now? They were speaking for their dad, and they weren't exactly defending him tooth and nail. If anything you can tell Ray as the oldest understood that his father's problems and drug usage directly impacted his parental skills and that itself led to not really having a relationship with his dad UNTIL he was out of the business.

I was surprised Ray Gordy is 45 and maybe looked older.

also happy they showed the famous clip of Terry shoving the guy was in the first 30 seconds of the episode. 

I made an off hand comment essentially that it was poor form of Foley to tell second hand tales of a guy he said he was grateful for his help, that neither told us anything we didn't already know, and seemed cheap/tacky. 

You've written about 20 unhinged responses that have tried to unpack that as me:

- defending my favourite wrestler

- saying they were lying about it

- THIS IS FUCKING DARK SIDE OF THE FUCKING RING

- that its the wrestling business who cares

- that he chose to do drugs so who cares

- Jim Cornette did it so its ok

This is weirdly unhinged and absurd. You're not discussing. It's this dumb idea of who can write the most wins. Davey Richards approach to discussion. You have no interest in anything I've said. You're just getting your shit it in. It's long, boring and self-indulgent, taking yourself and your arguments way too seriously.

Just now, odessasteps said:

I was surprised Ray Gordy is 45 and maybe looked older.

also happy they showed the famous clip of Terry shoving the guy was in the first 30 seconds of the episode. 

I mean timeline wise, he had to be 40+ at least. Jesse and Festus was WAY WAY long ago. I mean he would have to have been a teenager or barely in his 20s to still be in his 30s. Plus, I remember hearing about him right around his dad's passing. So yeah, 45 sounds about right. He was also working NWA Wildside. If you worked in Wildside, you got to be pretty old. 

2 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

You have no interest in anything I've said.

Well, you will find I am one of many cause you ain't talking about jackshit if this is ANY indication. 🤣

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Just a quick heads up - I just listened to the Pink Floyd album of a similar name to that, cover to cover, and I can tell you Mick Foley is not on there snitching on the moon AT ALL.

Play it backwards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do worry what'll happen when GuerrillaMonsoon catches the other 3+ seasons worth of this show as man, if he had issues with Foley then there's another few dozen people he's gonna end up rather angry/disappointed with 😰

• Haha 4

49 minutes ago, username said:

I do worry what'll happen when GuerrillaMonsoon catches the other 3+ seasons worth of this show as man, if he had issues with Foley then there's another few dozen people he's gonna end up rather angry/disappointed with 😰

I can't wait for the argument about how Dynamite Kid's right to privacy was violated because they discussed him holding a gun to his wife's head. After all, don't we all have the right to privacy?!!?!?

You're going to act like a fool, especially if you're a public figure, expect people to discuss you acting like a fool. Especially if you do so publicly.

• Like 4