DVDVR Message Board

I hope Takayasu can pull himself back together, today his face looked an awful lot like Kyushu 2018, when he looked close to tears after losing to Mitakeumi and thereby the chance at a playoff against Takakeisho whom he had beaten the day before. 

Kotonowaka staying in the race is a big surprise. Wakatakakage seems to have the momentum and is the best of the three in head to head matchups (6-2 against Takayasu, 4-0 against Kotonowaka), he beat both already this Basho. 

Takayasu v Kotonowaka is at 2-1 with an additional fusenpai for the former Ozeki, so I would consider Wakatakakage the favourite in the finishing stretch. Wakatakakage is - however - facing Shodai in the final tournament match, and therefore is the only one of the 3 contenders who will be below .500 against his opponent. Both Takayasu vs Abi (4-2) and Kotonowaka (vs Hoshoryu 3-2)have slight edges against there respective opponents, but said opponents are both at 7-7 and therefore highly motivated. 

• 1 month later...

It stays weird, although with Terunofuji slowly but surely finding a groove there is a decent enough shot he will get this done. The Ozeki have been disappointing, WKTKKG (I always thought I and a friend of mine were the only people in the world to go with all caps consonants for shikonas @John E. Dynamite) looks to have a bit of a post Yusho hangover. 

At this point in time (10 matches in), this tournament is just weird.

Terunofuji has three losses, with the supposedly tough part of his schedule yet having to kick in. Yet he still has a very strong chance at winning the whole thing. He seems very vulnerable to the pusher/thruster - style wrestlers so far and rarely shows the dominance that made him the top-ranked Rikishi. 

Every Ozeki is underperforming and practically out of contention. Shodai is one loss away from another kadoban gauntlet in July. Mitakeumi and Takakeisho are at .500 right now, after mostly facing the low rankers. 

Leaders are Takanosho (who has beaten two Ozeki and Terunofuji so far) and Ichiyamamoto, who are 8-2.

Five Rikishi follow the leaders with 7-3 scores: Terunofuji, Kiribayama, Ura, Aoiyama and Sadanoumi. 

There is a real possibility of a multi men play off. And 11-4 might be enough to win a place in it. 

The match with Takakeisho is a perfect example of why I love Ura. Those moves were crazy. Takanosho still holding out at the top, but Terunofuji seems to be at the level you expect him to be... It's gonna be a fun final stretch. 

On 5/8/2022 at 11:01 AM, John E. Dynamite said:

A pathetic opening day. Maybe bet the field on this one. At least WKTKKG looks great.

Can you bet on Sumo? I haven't found a way to do it online from New Jersey. 

Terunofuji winning out put the Sumo world back into balance somewhat. Takakeisho was able to prevent kadoban, unlike his two peers. 

Wakatakakage handled the hatsu Yusho hangover decent enough with a 9-6 score. Daeisho will be back at Sekiwake after an 11-4 performance. 

Ura had a good tournament, but unfortunately it ended in injury. Hopefully nothing serious. 

It's funny, Teru was sitting on 3 losses and if he'd picked up the fourth against Tobizaru 100% he just pulls out. Instead he smokes everyone else and wins.

The Ozekis were all dreadful. I like Shodai but I can't begin to tell you what the fuck his sumo is supposed to be right now. Takakeisho hasn't even been close to the same since that scary neck/nerve injury where he went limp against Ichinojo, and I honestly worry he's on the fast track to being physically shot. I can't even begin to concieve of how some people are still convincing themselves he's the next Yokozuna. And Mitakeumi had a bump where he looked more like the Mitakeumi of old again.

I was happy to see Takanosho give it a good run, he doesn't seem to get any respect from sponsors at all and he deserves better considering how consistent he is.