DVDVR Message Board

Great NBA Jam Story

Tabe

When I was on the basketball team at Bradley (as a manager, ha ha) a bunch of us would hit the campus game room after practice and go nuts on the NBA Jam machine there, just throwing quarters into it like no tomorrow. Even remember the coaches showing up to watch every now and then. Too funny.

There's this about NBA Jam, too, which is pretty awesome, really creepy, or both.

http://ballislife.com/nba-jam-was-rigged-against-pippen-bulls-and-also-haunted-by-drazen-petrovic/

We had already finished making NBA Jam when Drazen Petrovic died. The game had already shipped and he was on the Nets. So we had all of these coin-op machines around, and one night we were playing Mortal Kombat and there was a Jam machine next to it, and all of a sudden the game started calling out “Petrovic!” “Petrovic!” And this only happened after Petrovic had died. Everyone started freaking out. Something weird was going on with the software, and to this day, if you have an original NBA Jam machine every once in a while it will just yell out “Petrovic!” It’s wild.

• Like 1

So when NBA Jam came out in 93, I was a fixture at the arcade battling any and everybody and one thing I got really tired of hearing about from people that wanted to beat me playing with the Bulls is that they didn’t have Michael Jordan on the team. Well, that’s because Jordan owned his own likeness and he told Midway his licensing fee which was too high but apparently just right for that silly “Chaos in the Windy City” game.

The ragging on the MJ and Shaq-Fu games as inexplicable always amazes me.  Even when I was 14 I could figure out that Electronic Arts didn't throw stupid piles of money at Jordan and Shaq because they wanted to make shitty adventure or fighting games with them.  They made those games to amortize the stupid piles of money they spent to get MJ and Shaq into Bulls Vs Blazers or whatever that year's NBA game was over multiple products.  Do people really have that little sense?