DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2

11 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Got the Rat King catalyst yesterday and trying to decide if I want to subject @J.T. to that horror again

I am up for that shit tonight if you want to grind the catalyst.

My career as a Gambit Prime Sentry is officially over.  I got the emblem after getting the last Locksmith medal I needed over the weekend.  It should only take me another 100000000 years to get the Reckoner title.

Devil's Ruin quest drops after reset on Tuesday afternoon.  Hopefully it won't be Xenophage levels of confusing and stupid.  My guess is that a step will be tied to a Legend level Sundial run to make it extra complicated.

Edited by J.T.

I'm kind of excited for Devil's Ruin. Its looks cool and its been a while since we got an exotic sidearm. I don't even use the things often, but it will be nice to have. I will be pissed if its annoying like Xenophage. I still haven't completed the final step for that one.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I'm kind of excited for Devil's Ruin. Its looks cool and its been a while since we got an exotic sidearm. I don't even use the things often, but it will be nice to have. I will be pissed if its annoying like Xenophage. I still haven't completed the final step for that one.

I am also on the last step for the Xeno.  One day I will get that done.  I would've worked on it this past weekend if I hadn't been struck down with the plague and spent most of Saturday and Sunday in an antihistamine coma.

Everyone is pumped for the DR since in theory it sounds like it should work like a Covenant Plasma Pistol.   We'll see how crappy or how game breaking it is once we've completed the quest.

Edited by J.T.

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

Everyone is pumped for the DR since in theory it sounds like it should work like a Covenant Plasma Pistol.   We'll see how crappy or how game breaking it is once we've completed the quest.

I've heard this before, but am not quite certain what it is.

16 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I've heard this before, but am not quite certain what it is.

In a nutshell, the Plasma Pistol has two firing modes:

• Repeat fire.(tap trigger)
  • Charged shot (hold & release trigger)

The thing about the CPP is that it has a battery that gradually depletes itself.  It isn't magazine fed.

I have seen the DR in the Dawning collections queue and I think it will work something like Symmetry does.  I think it has an x-Button alternate firing mode and the laser beam will have a little charge time and cost you more than one round of ammo per shot.

Edited by J.T.
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am still on like Step 2 of Xeno

Houndish has a pretty good guide if you can tolerate him constantly talking through most of it.

IIRC, your next step is to visit all of the Lost Sectors on the moon and clear them.    When you reach the end of the Sector, there will be a logic puzzle at the end.   If you're even remotely good at Sudoku, you should be able to solve them yourself.

If not, our good friend Esoterickk has done it for you:

One caveat being that the puzzle in K1 Communion is a bit glitched, so you may need to re-shoot some of the buttons over to get the code to stick.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Oh I have watched the steps before but I am lazy

I havent even bothered to dunk the balls of light yet - so maybe that is Step 1

Yeah, the dunking part is step One.  I found a vid with the censor locations.  it's not a hard path to memorize. 

I thought the one platforming part was going to give me fits, but I made the tower climb jump on the first try and made the rest of the run in one go.

Well, it's about 30 minutes after reset so I am sure that someone will complete the Devil's Ruin quest before I get home.

I have to go visit my dad at the assisted living facility for his birthday, so I may or may not be on tonight depending on how much the creeping crud recovery effort takes out of me during the day.

I am still on vacation but everyone is panicking and closing early today so I was going to be home either way.

I will be firing it up shortly and then probably not doing anything

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

All of the Wormgod / Wormhusk items have a history of being bugged or just plain broken.

At least I know why they were so popular in Survival last week.

35 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

You have to do a sundial run and you get the Devil Ruin frame and then speak to Saint 14 to start the quest.

I called it yesterday that at least one step would involve the Sundial, but I thought for sure it would involve a Legend level run.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

Edited by J.T.

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

HA!

It is the simplest thing ever

You get the frame - talk to Saint 14

He sends you to Twilight Gap

Kill 10 robots

Get Devil's Ruin

God so it is like that one weapon quest in Destiny where you run around the Twilight Gap PvP map half blind and find nodes to configure some bullshit gun?

Edited by J.T.

Has another “almost chuck the game off the balcony” moments last night

And I wanna say I think this happened to JT recently where you play a Crucible match but it doesn’t count your progress towards anything. Like the Destiny app shows I played it and completed it but it progressed none of my bounties. And considering I am grinding sniper kills so much rage

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - do not race back to orbit when you get your Devil's Ruin

There is a long conversation you want to listen to

18 hours ago, Eivion said:

Devil's Ruin might be the easiest exotic quest ever and gives a fun conversation to listen to at the end.

I even stayed the extra time after the conversation to see if they were going to say anything else.  I am paranoid like that.

The caption of my Devil's Ruin screenshot is "I'M ON THE MOOOON... IT'S MADE OF CHEEESE...."

I also appreciated the confirmation that Eris doesn't have a Ghost, but I assume her glowy green rock offers her similar abilities.

The Devil's Ruin itself doesn't seem all that remarkable on paper other than the stun feature for Unstoppable champions and I am sure I will use it quite a bit in Ordeal Nightfalls, the Sundial, and in Nightmare Hunts.  

It's not really better than Ariana's Vow because the AV can make orbs once it's masterworked.  I do like the way they incorporated the "laser" feature, though.  The gun still packs 15 shots, but you can choose how you want to empty the magazine.  You can either fire normally or hold the trigger to convert any remaining rounds (or the entire clip) into the beam effect.

I'll need to mess around with the Ruin to see what the effective range of the beam is.  It would suck to be smashed by a rampaging Unstoppable champion while the Ruin's laser is spinning up.

Also, I've noticed that there are now two Exotics that can affect Unstoppable champions (Devil's Ruin, Leviathan's Breath), one that is a natural Barrier champion stopper (Eriana's Vow), and the one Exotic that is effective against Overload champions is fucking Divinity.

Three of those exotics you can get from seasonal content and normal quest grinding, but the fourth (Divinity) is a fucking raid weapon that only a few people will have the patience to obtain.

The more I think about it, the more I feel that they really dropped the ball on Symmetry.  I'd trade in the extra stacks of Dynamic Charge from the Catalyst for the weapon to be able to stagger Overload Champions once it's masterworked.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And I wanna say I think this happened to JT recently where you play a Crucible match but it doesn’t count your progress towards anything. Like the Destiny app shows I played it and completed it but it progressed none of my bounties. And considering I am grinding sniper kills so much rage

Yep, I was in a match where I was en fuego and got like six or seven Arbalest headshots and none of them counted towards the Komodo quest.

I was livid.

Edited by J.T.

Heroic Sundial is NO JOKE.   Match Game and Extinguish definitely makes things harder as the EWs you may have Champion mods on might not have the right element to be effective barrier breakers. 

My Oxygen scout rifle is my go to Unstoppable Champion killer but it's Solar, so I find myself using my Void class abilities and the Leviathan's Breath to smash the barriers on the millions of yellow bar Cabal Incinerators wandering round.

I was on a team that nearly wiped three times in the final encounter and having two bubble titans probably saved our asses.   I ran bottom tree Nightstalker and used my Vanish In Smoke to make revive runs.

We didn't encounter the special Flayer that you get the triumph for killing, so I assume he will arrive in future content this season.

Edited by J.T.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

The Devil's Ruin itself doesn't seem all that remarkable on paper other than the stun feature for Unstoppable champions and I am sure I will use it quite a bit in Ordeal Nightfalls, the Sundial, and in Nightmare Hunts.  

This mostly apt. The laser function does melt through enemies so if you can group them together it does come in handy for more than Unstoppables. Its a primary ammo weapon that can do heavy weapon damage. That said, its still best for Unstoppables. I think its probably a bit better than Leviathan's Breath in that regard unless you are looking for distance.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

It's not really better than Ariana's Vow because the AV can make orbs once it's masterworked.

I thin the catalyst for Devil's Ruin will come either before the season ends or at the beginning of the next one. The catalysts for it and Bastion have already been datamined as existing if I recall correctly.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Eivion said:

This mostly apt. The laser function does melt through enemies so if you can group them together it does come in handy for more than Unstoppables. Its a primary ammo weapon that can do heavy weapon damage. That said, its still best for Unstoppables. I think its probably a bit better than Leviathan's Breath in that regard unless you are looking for distance.

Those are really good points.  I kinda passed out after taking some symptom relief meds, so I wasn't able to field test the Ruin after I got it.

And yeah, distance and range are definitely factors.   I think the LB is better for Unstoppable Ogres since you can shoot them before they can fix their eye beam on you.  The Ruin would be perfect for Unstoppable Incinerators if it were a Void weapon, because then it could stun them as well as break the barriers on yellow bar Cabal Incinerators.

But, I never look a gift horse in the butt.  We now have another Champion killer EW so hopefully dudes will be better prepared for Ordeal Nightfalls, Sundial, and Nightmare Hunts.

My new pet peeve in D2 is players that come mod-less to those activities.  I hate it when I am the only guy with Overload or Unstoppable champion mods on his guns and armor.

I thought about going to farm a Vouchsafe to break Void barriers during Heroic Sundial (there are a lot of them), but that still means packing a Solar heavy for Centurion barriers. It's better to have different elements for your EW and PW in Heroic Sundial, but you might be able to get away with it in Ordeal Nightfalls if your fireteam members are well prepped.

The Oxygen SR3 scout rifle is VERY effective during Bombardment.  You can have three players baby sniping the Centurions and break their barriers while the other players gather up the bombs.  If you were smart and modded your Oxygen, you can then help deal with Unstoppable or Barrier Champions from a safe distance away.

Edited by J.T.

10 minutes ago, J.T. said:

My new pet peeve in D2 is players that come mod-less to those activities.  I hate it when I am the only guy with Overload or Unstoppable champion mods on his guns and armor.

Those bastards are the worse. I semi get not carrying barrier since a super or consecutive heavy weapon fire can take them out, but Overload and Unstoppable Champions are another story entirely. I recall getting slaughtered several times last season because no one was a carrying a weapon with overload or Unstoppable save for me. People need to learn about this whole team thing and mobs. Instead of praying that one person can totally stop 2-3 champions on their own maybe, just maybe have your own damn proper load out and split the difference.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Those bastards are the worse. I semi get not carrying barrier since a super or consecutive heavy weapon fire can take them out, but Overload and Unstoppable Champions are another story entirely. I recall getting slaughtered several times last season because no one was a carrying a weapon with overload or Unstoppable save for me. People need to learn about this whole team thing and mobs. Instead of praying that one person can totally stop 2-3 champions on their own maybe, just maybe have your own damn proper load out and split the difference.

Having the right mods in Heroic Sundial makes all of the difference in the world.    Fireteam leaders are probably going to start booting randos that don't show up with the right mods.

The leader of our fireteam was actually impressed with my armor load out as I had Tenderizer and Void Battery on my armor.  Tenderizer gives your entire fireteam bonus damage if you are the one that stuns an Unstoppable champion, so I was on permanent Unstoppable Incinerator stun duty and the damage buff is VERY noticeable as we were melting UCs after I hit them with my scout or a LB arrow.

One tip:  You can play most of the Heroic Sundial modes as if you were in Normal mode but in Datamine, it worked out better for the entire fireteam to focus on capturing one plate rather than splitting into teams of 3 to capture both plates at the same time. 

There are just so many adds to account for that is better to stick together so that someone can immediately move to revive fallen players.

If everyone wipes, it's back to orbit.

Edited by J.T.