DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2

Funny you should mention suicides and AFKs in a weird Glory match

I was in a Survival match last week where some poor guy had two AFKs on his team. so he suicided so that my team could win fast rounds and end the suffering quickly.  My team got the medal for winning a round in under a minute.  I felt bad for the dude.  No one should have to lose that way, but the loss penalty is far less than the quit penalty so good on him for making the best out of a terrible situation.

Speaking of Glory, I was in a match earlier today where I had tons of clutch... until the deciding round. 

My team traded rounds with another team and it was pretty nip and tuck until the rubber round where I totally blew it.

It was a Last Guardian Standing showdown between me and two other Guardians.

I grenaded one player to death, but I got sloppy and was a bit too aggressive closing in for the kill and I got my punk ass baby sniped by a MIDA.  I felt bad for my team.  I let them down.  I somewhat redeemed myself in a Control match right after that where I was top killer and went ape shit with nearly 30 kills and close to a 3.0 ER en route to a very decisive win. 

Obviously shitting the bed in Survival really bothered me and I took it out on the enemy team in that Control match.

I got two Samaritans to help me with Xeno on Sunday night before the Super Bowl and we also nabbed the last Dead Ghost on the Moon and got a PoH clear.  The mechanics for PoH are not that hard to grasp, but I definitely need to get more familiar with the layout of the dungeon.  It's not as straightforward as Shattered Throne and there is a lot more jumping involved so I hate it because I am a shit platformer. 

The unkillable Ogres in the second stage maze can eat a bag of dicks.  Thank God for Vanish In Smoke.

As for the Xenophage itself... ehhhh…. it's not a horrible weapon, but it's the Levi Breath's retarded cousin.   It has the same amount of initial shots that the LB has (although the Xeno have ammo reserves) and the ammo provides AoE damage like the LB arrows to, but it cannot crit like the LB can.  I feel that this weapon would be a million times better if it could crit.

Oh, well.  At least I have a longtime quest out of my Pursuits queue.  One day I will have to start practicing the Zero Hour route and get this Outbreak shit done.

Edited by J.T.

I ended up getting all of my Crucible stuff in today.

Did three games of Survival. Won the first two though apparently I sucked enough to piss off the top guy on my team as he sent me a message complaining about me sucking for my LL. Its kind of funny since I was the no. 2 guy on the team. Honestly, PvP is not my thing so I can't really be bothered much by it, especially when playing one of my worst areas for it. Lost the third game. The other team was just better in general.

Did one classic match which just happened to be Control and helped me finish the rest of my bounties from yesterday and most of today. Was enough to get the weekly reward. I was the second guy from the bottom, but that wasn't so bad seeing that my whole team actually did rather well. You could have removed the top guy with 33 kills, and we still would have won by a decent enough margin. Don't think any of us had less than ten kills.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Did three games of Survival. Won the first two though apparently I sucked enough to piss off the top guy on my team as he sent me a message complaining about me sucking for my LL. 

Level advantages are disabled for Survival so his comment is stupid prima facie.  

Now if you had a full set of Pinnacle / Ritual weapons and were stinking up the place, he'd have more of an argument since obtaining those weapons normally implies some level of PvP IQ.

I reserve my harshest criticism for guys who have extremely excellent douchebag load-outs and still suck eggs.  That's typically the sign of a guy that either got carried to Fabled, visited a lot of kill lobbies, or flat out paid an account recover guy for his guns.

As the sweats say, let's see if that hand cannon you've got is a Not Forgotten or a Bought Forgotten.

9 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Did one classic match which just happened to be Control and helped me finish the rest of my bounties from yesterday and most of today. Was enough to get the weekly reward. I was the second guy from the bottom, but that wasn't so bad seeing that my whole team actually did rather well. You could have removed the top guy with 33 kills, and we still would have won by a decent enough margin. Don't think any of us had less than ten kills.

Yeah, I went nuts in a Control match after blowing the finish of that Survival match out of my ass.   I got a gassed up head after winning a Survival match that unlocked my 3 Glory Match Win Streak triumph for the season and paid for my arrogance.

Edited by J.T.

54 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Now if you had a full set of Pinnacle / Ritual weapons and were stinking up the place, he'd have more of an argument since obtaining those weapons normally implies some level of PvP IQ.

I have two pinnacle weapons from Crucible in Luna's Howl and the Komodo. LH took 2-3 seasons and a change in the Glory system to get while Komodo is the easiest Crucible Pinnacle/Ritual weapon to get. I am a very average PvP player who occasionally has his moments. The only reason I even went after Luna's Howl is because of my ridiculous love of HCs and wanting to see what the fuss was about. By the time I got it they nerfed the damn thing. In truth I would probably go back to Trust and Malfeasance, but I really want to get Not Forgotten.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

It is admittedly satisfying when I take out guys with such load-outs. 

• Like 1

I have five Ritual / Pinnacle Weapons:  Redrix's Broadsword, the Recluse, the Revoker, the RTK, and the Komodo.  Of those weapons, I only use the Broadsword, Recluse, and the RTK regularly in the Crucible as there are better Snipers and LFRs to use in PvP than the Revoker or the Komodo.

I gave up on the Luna's a while back because I was an amazingly shitty PvP player but now that I've gotten a bit better and Glory match play is not quite the circus it used to be, I've begun chipping away at the Luna as well as the Mountaintop.  It will still probably take me forever to complete either of those weapon quests.

Edited by J.T.

12 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

FINALLY got a Max streak in Comp to get that Triumph.

Yeah, I also got my 3 Win Streak early on Monday afternoon and then totally failed my team on Match Point the following game with the score tied 3-3.  I was pretty disappointed with myself.

I took it out on the poor Euro bastards on the other team in a Control match I needed to do to finish a Treasure Map bounty.

I know they were Euros because I got 2 Hate PMs:  One with British slang and the other was in French.

12 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Now I just have to hit Legend... about a billion times.

40% of the way toward my Luna's Howl

Good man.  I just picked up Luna's Howl and Mountaintop recently since I need a third Fabled Glory reward weapon for triumph.

We'll see how long it takes me to grind either of these things out to the finish.

Once I get a Luna's, I'll probably get serious about getting to Legend Glory.  I'll probably solo queue to Fabled and then look for a team to get to Legend with.

What load-out have you been using during the Luna grind?

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Yeah, I also got my 3 Win Streak early on Monday afternoon and then totally failed my team on Match Point the following game with the score tied 3-3. 

No no - I got the 3 match one ages ago.

I am talking the max 5 match streak.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

What load-out have you been using during the Luna grind?

For this final step - the precision Hand Cannon one - I have been running double HC with Last Word and Trust. But honestly I have found Trust is WAY more reliable for precision kills.

It is just fucking tedious. I will say that I also play Comp to win with progress secondary. So I could be trying for head shots but I am much more effective shoulder tackling people

• Like 1

8 hours ago, J.T. said:

I have five Ritual / Pinnacle Weapons:  Redrix's Broadsword, the Recluse, the Revoker, the RTK, and the Komodo.  Of those weapons, I only use the Broadsword, Recluse, and the RTK regularly in the Crucible as there are better Snipers and LFRs to use in PvP than the Revoker or the Komodo.

I am an idiot and completely forgot I have the Recluse as well which I think also took me 2 seasons to achieve. I was using Recluse regularly but only for PvE. I tried it a couple of times for PvP and it just didn't work well for me. I really want the RTK. I'm actually close. Its just that the medals part is taking forever. They really screwed people over on that by making the medals specific while not actually mentioning which ones help towards progression.

8 hours ago, J.T. said:

I gave up on the Luna's a while back because I was an amazingly shitty PvP player but now that I've gotten a bit better and Glory match play is not quite the circus it used to be, I've begun chipping away at the Luna as well as the Mountaintop.  It will still probably take me forever to complete either of those weapon quests.

If I have Luna then i think you will do fine. I'm pretty sure you take at least one season less than I did. The crawl for Mountaintop is made more annoying and lengthy by trying to get Not Forgotten since Luna's Howl is in the energy slot. I need find some people to help me reach 100k for that primary slot grenade launcher from one of the Nightfalls.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

For this final step - the precision Hand Cannon one - I have been running double HC with Last Word and Trust. But honestly I have found Trust is WAY more reliable for precision kills.

It is just fucking tedious. I will say that I also play Comp to win with progress secondary. So I could be trying for head shots but I am much more effective shoulder tackling people

Crimson is your friend.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Crimson is your friend.

I have tried Crimson and didn't find it much better.

I really need to stop being lazy and get Ace of Spades off my Warlock and use that

13 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I was wondering why you weren't using it. I find Last Word to be so terrible for precision shots.

Because the meta says LW is the best and I am a sheep

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

No no - I got the 3 match one ages ago.

I am talking the max 5 match streak.

Oh, the BIG triumph.  Good shit, man!

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

This is the attitude to take.  Just play to win and everything else falls together.   The longer you stay alive, the better your chances of getting headshots so help your team win the game.  

And don't be stupid.  You're not going to get too many HC kills on a long map like Contingent where the other team will be looking to snipe you out of your boots and keep you from engaging at close range, so adjust your load-out for the win and not for quest completion..

11 hours ago, Eivion said:

I was wondering why you weren't using it. I find Last Word to be so terrible for precision shots.

11 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Because the meta says LW is the best and I am a sheep

LW has the fastest Body TTK in the game, so it is probably the best HC to use for the 150 HC kills at the beginning of the quest. 

The D2 version of the gun has nowhere near the precision kill ability of the wonderfully bugged D1 version, so you're better off using Crimson, or a Better Devils / Trust / Service Revolver / Spare Rations with decent PvP perks. 

Trust is probably the best to use since it behaves much like the Luna does, so it will get you used to how Luna will perform once it's in your hands.  

If you're comfortable using Trust, then you will be comfortable using Luna.

A group of 980+'s and I smershed Inotam today and I donated 5K fractals to the City Obelisk, so I only have one triumph left for my Savior triumph seal....

…. which apparently is dependent on the entire fucking D2 community meeting the max goal for the Empyrion Foundation donation drive.

You've got about 30 days to get this shit done, assholes.  DO NOT LET ME DOWN~!

The Inotam boss fight is fucking crazy.  As we all suspected, he has the powers of all three of the other Flayer bosses, but he can spam his powers more frequently.  Also, what would a high-end D2 boss fight be without stupid mechanics~??

During the fight he's immune to damage, so you can't hurt him until you capture three Vex plates..

But that's not all.  There is also a special damage phase that works like the VoG / Atheon Boss Fight.  Sometimes when you capture the third plate, half of your team will get teleported away to fight a clone of Inotam.  He's a lot easier to damage than the actual boss and once you destroy the clone, a chunk of damage will be taken off of Inotam himself, provided he doesn't wipe you all with his Arc AoE field.  The longer you take to destroy Inotam's clone, the more likely it is for your three buddies to be overwhelmed in the actual boss fight zone.

And naturally if the teleported team wipes, the real Inotam does not take damage and is likely to kill the rest of your team.  High DPS weapons and supers are KEY~!   Get his ass out of the box as fast as you can.

My only advice is to have yourself modded up for the normal fights and keep moving during the boss fight.  Inotam can't target everyone,so the more you stay active, the  better your chances are of staying alive.  It doesn't take the entire team to capture a single plate, but try not to spread out too much in case revives need to be made.

If you're going to play a Titan, be a Bubble Titan.  If you're going to be a Hunter, I highly recommend bottom tree Nightstalker.  Invis revive runs will fucking save the day, trust me.

There are also a shit ton of different elemental barriers to contend with and Match Game is active, so try to coordinate with your fireteam who is responsible for what barrier type.  

Edited by J.T.

I actually found the Inotam fight decently satisfying. I mostly just liked that he had different mechanics and felt like a bigger deal with the scenery change. it was better than what we got at the end of last season.

26 minutes ago, J.T. said:

If you're going to play a Titan, be a Bubble Titan.  If you're going to be a Hunter, I highly recommend bottom tree Nightstalker.  Invis revive runs will fucking save the day, trust me.

If you are doing a normal run is no near as bad as it was for your team. Running solar with Hunter was pretty useful since melee is one of the modifiers for today.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

I actually found the Inotam fight decently satisfying. I mostly just liked that he had different mechanics and felt like a bigger deal with the scenery change. it was better than what we got at the end of last season.

By miles.  I loved the fight.  Inotam was definitely a more challenging bad guy than the Undying Mind.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

If you are doing a normal run is no near as bad as it was for your team. Running solar with Hunter was pretty useful since melee is one of the modifiers for today.

We ran on Legend for the triumph, so that shit was totally fucking complicated.  Mics were required.  I think we had a ten minute huddle before we got started to coordinate who was responsible for what. 

I was on Revive and Baby Sniper duty.  Both Datamine and Bombardment run a bit smoother when there is one guy free to smash Solar barriers on Centurions, cover down on the plate cap team or orb runners, and run revives if shit goes sideways.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Oh, and don't forget to re-invest in your obelisk network now that Empyrian Foundation has gone live.  IIRC, there are new planetary obelisk perks available now that improve your chances for god rolls for Timelost Weapons.

I've invested my 5K to get my Emblem / Triumph and I'm going to do about 50 / 50 from here out. 

Half of my fractals will go to the City Obelisk and the other half will go to buffing my planetary obelisks.  I still haven't gotten a satisfying roll for the Martyr's Retribution yet.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I still haven't gotten a satisfying roll for the Martyr's Retribution yet.

What is a nice roll for this on? In truth I mostly have the rolls I want for for other timelost weapons in Infinite Paths 8, Traveler's Judgement 5 (Feeding Frenzy/Dragonfly), and Steelfeather Repeater (feeding frenzy/multikill clip). I have no idea what is a solid roll for everything else.

I think two of the better rolls are Auto-Loading Holster / Rangefinder or Firmly Planted / Rangefinder, but I always seem to get Underdog on my rolls.

Underdog is not a horrible perk if you're not squishy, but I am a Hunter.  Perks that require me to be critically injured before they kick in aren't terribly desirable.

The best roll for Grenade Launcher is usually Rangefinder / Rampage with a Velocity or Blast Radius MW, but I am not sure that perk combo is available with the Martyr or maybe we have to upgrade the obelisks again to gain access to more popular perks like Rampage and Kill Clip?

That might explain why I haven't seen a Pyrclastic Flow roll with Cluster Bomb or Tracking Module yet.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, J.T. said:

That might explain why I haven't seen a Pyrclastic Flow roll with Cluster Bomb or Tracking Module yet.

I gave up when I couldn't find either for PF though it does seem to have a minor inherent tracking ability

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I gave up when I couldn't find either for PF though it does seem to have a minor inherent tracking ability

I usually shred my bad rolls out of frustration so I've never fired one to see if that's a thing or not.

Oh, and god roll MW's for GL's depend on the type of grenade.  For Implosion Grenades or Prox Grenades, you'll usually want MW Blast Radius to compensate for their reduced damage radius.  

All else, you want a MW Velocity because it stacks with the velocity bonus from Rangefinder.  

The faster the 'nades go as they travel, the more damage they do on impact.

MW Velocity for Prox Grenades is useless because Proxs can't kill on impact as a result of a nerf.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Oh, and I almost forgot.  Don't sleep on Malfeasance in Survival if you're hunting for HC kills.   The Gambit perk vs. Invaders and Taken enemies doesn't help you much, but the burrowing shadow slugs are still pretty lethal and can help you cheat those precision kills.

13 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Speaking of Malfeasance, where the hell is my masterwork catalyst already? That shit was datamined a while back so we know its coming. Why the long wait?

Hopefully because they're coming up with a catalyst perk that isn't stupid or game breaking, but Bungie is lazy and doesn't test shit so I am not confident that anything decent will be done to augment the Malfeasance and if it is useful, it'll be completely overpowered.

I hope the catalyst is not a buff to Invader damage.  It's hard enough as It is being an Invader in a post-Truth sandbox.

Edited by J.T.

57 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Hopefully because they're coming up with a catalyst perk that isn't stupid or game breaking, but Bungie is lazy and doesn't test shit so I am not confident that anything decent will be done to augment the Malfeasance and if it is useful, it'll be completely overpowered.

I hope the catalyst is not a buff to Invader damage.  It's hard enough as It is being an Invader in a post-Truth sandbox.

It supposed to have the slugs add up into a bigger explosion on the enemy you kill. Might also see an increase in range. I'm guessing it will be somewhere in the middle unless the explosion is rocket launcher level.

• Like 1