DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

When fighters fail drug tests, why does no one try and look at the coaches? Am I really supposed to believe the coaches don't know about it and fighters are doing it without their knowledge?

When MLB/NFL/NBA players fail drug test do you look at the coaches?

1370570785000-06-06-2013-Pete-Carroll-13

• Like 2

When fighters fail drug tests, why does no one try and look at the coaches? Am I really supposed to believe the coaches don't know about it and fighters are doing it without their knowledge?

When MLB/NFL/NBA players fail drug test do you look at the coaches?

I think they should.  Coaches not involved in things like the NFL bounty scandal?  Hard to believe they don't know those kind of things go on.

MMA trainers and coaches are not exactly beyond reproach. One of the head coaches (also a MMA & BJJ pioneer FYI) for the 1st or 2nd biggest MMA gym got caught in connection with an international ecstasy ring. So you're telling me that being a vital part of the drug problem at your own gym is off the table? Come on. Lets not even pretend to go that route.

Sure, it's going to be more in the Brian McNamee role where you trust him enough to allow him to inject your wife with steroids. But here is what ruins the crux of whole stick-and-ball sport and combat sports comparison made a couple posts above: head coaches in major combat sports don't have to navigate an entire network of people (assistant coaches, coordinators, athletic trainers, and other personnel) to be in contact with a strength and conditioning coach.

Strength and conditioning coaches are more famous in MMA and boxing than the NFL, MLB, or NBA. Sure there are a few guys that stand out in the latter, but the average NFL hardcore fan can't name them for EVERY team in their favorite team's division let alone a conference or the entire league. But I can name pretty much every major strength and conditioning coach in MMA and boxing. How many guys in the NFL are as synonymous with a team as Jonathan Chaimberg at TriStar? Jake Bonacci at Xtreme Couture and now Blackzilians? Rogerio Camoes at X-Gym? 'Benkei' Ferreira at ATT prior to the mass exodus? There are guys, formally and informally connected with pro teams and players, that WISH they got the air time and name drops of someone like Mike Dolce.

So when a guy doesn't make weight or fails a drug test, people are automatically going to make that correlation in the same vain as football fans with Pete Carroll when former USC and Seahawk players (former and current) fail drug tests  When Andre Berto failed his drug test prior to a rematch w/ Victor Ortiz, people automatically started looking at Victor Conte. Whether he was or was not involved in him failing is a whole different issue. If the argument is if people (meaning fans) start looking at the coaches, then the answer to that argument is hell fucking yeah. Boxing fans harped on the Freddie Roach and Alex Ariza combination ever since he (Ariza) started working with Manny Pacquiao for the Hatton fight. So when Ariza left Roach for the Robert Garcia camp, those allegations of PED use automatically went with him. So were people surprised when Brandon Rios tested positive? No, not at all. But did that mean people were off the case of Freddie Roach? Nope. Far from it. Why? Because fans know that the head coach is as responsible for the strength and conditioning coach working with their fighter as much as the actual fighter involved.

• Like 3

Crocop beat Ishii via cut. Didn't see the fight myself. Who does Ishii train with? I swear he was briefly at King's MMA.

Chris "Huggy Bear" Barnett was victorious. Maybe he can get signed with Bellator. At five-foot-nine and 265 lbs, he's fun to watch.

When he is in the U.S., he trains at CSW with Josh Barnett and Erik Paulson. However, he has been all over Southern California though. He was at Black House in Carson earlier this year.

UFC finally cut Robert Drysdale.

According to John Morgan, Drysdale is still with the UFC.

Damon Jackson, Legacy FC Featherweight champ and Leonard Garcia conqueror, is replacing Justin Edwards against Yancy Medeiros at UFC 177.

Can anyone link me this story about Dana kicking a judge in China out and it being against UFC protocol ESPN just did a news flash on my phone about it

http://www.ufc.com/news/UFC-Statement-Regarding-Judging-at-UFC-Fight-Night-Macao

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/11411839/dana-white-broke-protocol-removing-judge-event-ufc-says-statement

Seeing Front Row Brian Tweeted Dana has given Bonnar the go ahead to fight Tito in Bellator... lol

Bonnar signed with Bellator and a proposed grudge match with Tito has been discussed... lol