DVDVR Message Board

[MM15] R1: JAY LETHAL vs. THE PANTHER (Cachorro)

JAY LETHAL VS. THE PANTHER  

64 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

The Panther is amazingly good for a legit rookie.

I will say this for Lethal - the way he was booked and his character made him a reasonably interesting part of ROH tv for much of the voting period.  But the guy still sucks in the ring and he's no Cachorro

• Like 1

Lethal's character work always makes me wonder if the hate on him in some corners has gone too far, and then I watch him wrestle and I back off that ledge. The problem I have with him as a wrestler is that throughout his entire career, I have only seen him be really high-end in one area and that is as an underdog getting his ass kicked. I thought his comedy stuff was rehashed and meh, his high flying doesn't stack up with ACH or even AJ still, and his wrestling still leaves a lot to be desired and doesn't have much focus.

Panther on the other hand is a fabulous flyer and a breath of fresh air on the CMLL landscape along with Cavernario. Easy choice here for me.

You know when you're talking to someone and they are like 'I really love movies' and when you ask which ones they say something like 'Shawshank Redemption' and it's all you need to hear to understand that your tastes either jive or don't with that person? Jay Lethal is like the wrestling equivalent of that for me. If someone is like 'yo check out this awesome Jay Lethal match he's so good at wrestling' I know 100% that I have really different opinions with that person.

• Like 1

I used Shawshank because it's a movie that is obviously well constructed and well received, but it caters to a different crowd than me. I didn't mean it to say both are shitty. It's just one of those things where if you really like Shawshank (or Jay Lethal) I'm probably going to value different things than you, even if your opinion is otherwise thorough and well reasoned.

Edit: as an aside, is the word really 'jibe'? Have I been getting it wrong this whole time? Is it interchangeable with jive, which could have similar meaning in this sense? Important questions.

I voted Lethal strictly off his character.  The guy is doing his damndest to make the TV title seem very important, and I'm loving his promos.  Never thought him turning heel would be the best thing to happen to a guy as nice as he is.  Taking his matches into consideration, it's understandable if people are going with Panther instead.  But tournament results be damned, I'm a Jay Lethal fan.