DVDVR Message Board

Tennis

GuerrillaMonsoon

On 5/22/2022 at 4:47 AM, Cobra Commander said:

A callback to simpler times in Tennis-related entry matters: the incumbent  Australian government got voted out today (the margin right now is 72-50-15 with 14 seats uncalled). So check back in a few months for how Novak still won’t be let back into Australia for 2023.

The issue will be around his immigration paperwork which he falsely completed. That carries an immediate 3 year ban on entering the country.

Given the state has removed vaccine mandates in every other industry, I suspect he'd be otherwise welcome. I'm not convinced Labor have the appetite to let him in, but a lot can happen in 5 months to need a distraction in the press.

I've been a huge Kyrgios fan for years. He's always had this in him.

But I can't support him knowing what he's been charged and accused of. 

It sucks, and tennis has a huge history of sweeping these incidents under the rug (zverev). It also gives the predominantly white racist motherfuckers an opportunity to justify their racist criticisms about him (Cash, McEnroe) when their bullshit has never been about DV. 

Hopefully Teddy Long gets made the GM of Wimbledon and Norrie or Fritz get a last minute reprieve.

7th Wimbledon for Novax in four sets, tying Pete Sampras. Both behind Roger Federer on 8. Djokovic has won 4 Wimbledon titles in a row joining Roger Federer, Pete Sampras and Bjorn Borg. Federer and Borg on 5.

Edited by The Natural

Really do feel Rafael Nadal would have won Wimbledon for the third time and three out of the four Calendar Grand Slam if he hadn't torn his abdominal muscle in the quarter final so he had to withdraw from the semi-final.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Serena Williams match with Ajla Tomljanovic last night was an absolute war.  You could kinda guess the outcome early on.  Williams looked slow, rusty, made a lot of unforced errors, but she fought every point.  The first set was close, but AT won the tiebreaker and took the set.  Williams won the second set, but blew a 3-0/4-1 lead and let Tomljanovic battle back before winning the tiebreaker.  First two sets took about 2 1/2 hours. Tomljanovic took a quick 5-1 lead in the third set before winning a longgggg game to take the set and match.  

Tomljanovic isn’t high in the rankings, so Williams probably should have won.  Still, she went out fighting so she probably enhanced her reputation rather than diminished it.   

No idea of she’s the GOAT. but she’s definitely in the conversation  Honestly, I haven’t seen enough of her matches to compare.  I watched tennis back in the day and saw a fair bit of Graf, Navratilova, etc. but drifted away from tennis sometime in the 90’s.  I find it almost impossible to compare players from different eras anyway.  Graff won 22 grand slams to Serena’s 23, but won them all by age 30.  Does that give her an edge or should Williams get the advantage for winning so many of her titles after age 30?  Dunno.  And I don’t know how to begin to compare the competition of the past 20 years to the level of competition in the 80’s and 90’s.

Anyway, great match.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
1 hour ago, madl said:

Serena Williams match with Ajla Tomljanovic last night was an absolute war.  You could kinda guess the outcome early on.  Williams looked slow, rusty, made a lot of unforced errors, but she fought every point.  The first set was close, but AT won the tiebreaker and took the set.  Williams won the second set, but blew a 3-0/4-1 lead and let Tomljanovic battle back before winning the tiebreaker.  First two sets took about 2 1/2 hours. Tomljanovic took a quick 5-1 lead in the third set before winning a longgggg game to take the set and match.  

Tomljanovic isn’t high in the rankings, so Williams probably should have won.  Still, she went out fighting so she probably enhanced her reputation rather than diminished it.   

No idea of she’s the GOAT. but she’s definitely in the conversation  Honestly, I haven’t seen enough of her matches to compare.  I watched tennis back in the day and saw a fair bit of Graf, Navratilova, etc. but drifted away from tennis sometime in the 90’s.  I find it almost impossible to compare players from different eras anyway.  Graff won 22 grand slams to Serena’s 23, but won them all by age 30.  Does that give her an edge or should Williams get the advantage for winning so many of her titles after age 30?  Dunno.  And I don’t know how to begin to compare the competition of the past 20 years to the level of competition in the 80’s and 90’s.

Anyway, great match.

The match was fantastic. The eighth game in the second set was another one that was a big back and forth, I can't remember if it was 25 points or 27, but it was amazing to watch.

Tomljanovic played a great game to rattle Serena and tire her out. Once she started keeping those rallies going in the first few games, it felt like it was going to be a long night for Serena and that it was going to be it for her. Especially towards the end of the second set when Serena just looked toast. I agree that she enhanced her reputation by finishing the second set out and not only playing the third but refusing to lose the last game of the third set until the very end. I screamed when she countered the drop shot to stay alive.

Well worth tracking down a replay.