DVDVR Message Board

Non-Big Two Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

RIP Kevin O’Neill, artist of such things as LXG and Martial Law, age 69.  IIRC, Marshal Law was so graphic that someone had banned his work. 

edit: it was a Green Lantern Annual written by Alan Moore that the Comics Code didn’t approve. DC published it with out the code. 

Edited by odessasteps

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Glancing over the list of new comic releases for this week and there’s a new series/mini-series that reimagines Ric Flair as… an international super spy?  What da hale?  I know nothing about this book and probably won’t spend money on it, but I am really intrigued.

I’m assuming it’s a spoof of James Bond?  I look forward to Ric claiming on a podcast that the story is 100% true and he was a spy for Uncle Sam.

• 4 weeks later...

Got my JMDeMatteis-verse books today. Only had time to read one, the Edward Gloom Mysteries and it was great. Looking forward to reading the others. imagine if Holmes was also a Frankenstein monster. One of the others is a horror western drawn by Tom Mandrake. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/16/2023 at 12:37 PM, blitzkrieg said:

It's cool that they're going be continuing Larry Hama's G.I. Joe series. I vow that if/when they do hardcover editions of Hama's entire run that I'm going actually snag them while they're in-print.

this is crazy awesome news. 

• 4 weeks later...

I feel like Archie Comics is starting to really pile up on the "stories we abandoned without resolutions."

It's been almost seven years since the last issue of Afterlife With Archie, almost two years since the last issue of Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, which was the first issue in over four years, and now it's been almost three years since the mainline "New Riverdale" Archie book had an issue, and that was after four issues that had just completely dropped multiple ongoing stories from the Nick Spencer run in order to essentially do a miniseries inside the main book to promote the Katy Keene show. Those cliffhangers have actually been sitting there since January 2020.

It's annoying because I really really liked the two main horror books, and I was at least intrigued by the plotlines Spencer set up.

They've all but completely abandoned the New Riverdale universe, which is a shame because the Mark Waid run was truly great and pretty much all the satellite books at first were at least really good if not better.

Wasn’t there an issue of some Archie horror book? Or at least I thought that’s what I thought up it was looking at the new release list. 

found an old Eclipse book in a dollar box today written by “Charles Dixon.”

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Wasn’t there an issue of some Archie horror book? Or at least I thought that’s what I thought up it was looking at the new release list. 

found an old Eclipse book in a dollar box today written by “Charles Dixon.”

They've put out a lot of other horror books in the years since. Jughead the Hunger, Vampironica, Blossoms 666, several various one shots, they just announced two or three for October.

But the two core titles that launched the line Afterlife With Archie and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, have combined to release one issue in the last half decade+.

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Yeah, I wasn’t arguing about the main titles. Just that the line wasn’t dead.

did RAS write the original books? Maybe they didn’t want to have anyone else finish them. 

Yeah he wrote Afterlife and Sabrina. I'm not sure what exactly happened with Nick Spencer on Archie. He did like ten issues, but the last two were co-written by Mariko Tamaki, who then took over the book and they just flat out dropped almost everything from the Spencer run except for Archie and Sabrina being a couple. It left literally like 5 plot threads dangling and never addressed any of them in story. Then they announced they had no immediate plans to publish issue #714 after wrapping the Katy Keene arc (which seemed mostly just to exist to tie into the TV show, but the comic got delayed so much that the show had already been canceled by the time the fourth and final issue came out.) They've done a few anthology one shots in the style of the New Riverdale universe since then, but without any continuity to the ongoing book at all. It's frustrating.

I kinda hope RAS comes back to writing comics after Riverdale wraps, but I think he's showrunning the new Pretty Little Liars show now.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Bryan Hitch, Jason Fabok, Peter J. Tomasi, Francis Manapul, Gary Frank, Maytal Zchut, Lamont Magee, Brad Meltzer, and Geoff Johns formed new imprint for Image Comics called Ghost Machine.

https://www.thepopverse.com/image-comics-ghost-machine-imprint-geoff-johns-bryan-hitch-gary-frank

Geoff Johns signed exclusive deal with Ghost Maker Comics, so he will be done with Justice Society of America soon and DC.

WBD properties to Dynamite as new line

https://comicbookclublive.com/2023/10/12/thundercats-powerpuff-girls-warner-bros-comics-dynamite/

Anyway I will be retiring from posting url links soon, and I will post the links instead as text only for people to cut 'n paste into the link bars.

It's a dying board anyways, it's struggling from what happens when you lose more members.