DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

I don't think the full written proposal ever did, but a lot of basic details are known (wanting to streamline all of the continuity into the version of the character instead of doing another full reboot being the biggest point, and basically what Morrison ended up doing with Batman instead.)

I know Peyer was an editor on some huge stuff, but he always seems way out of place with the other 3 of them in terms of star power (not that Grant and especially Mark were that big of names in 1998....)

Waid definitely was.  Morrison probably was, or at least near the top of the B-List at that point, but his name certainly didn't carry the weight that it does now.  Oh, I see, I said "Mark" without specifying I meant Millar, not Waid there.  Oops.

Had Millar done anything important that wasn't co-written by Grant at that point?

Peyer's a guy who I always expected to break huge but he never really even came close.  I liked just about everything he did in the 90s, but none of it ever seemed like a starmaker, so I kept expecting his next book to be the one that put him on the map.  Since a lot of writers appear to be big fans of his (Garth Ennis allegedly insisted that he write the one fill-in arc of MK Punisher if there had to be a fill-in) I always kind of assumed that the Superman proposal was Waid and Morrison trying to give him the rub.

ETA: And the Superman proposal came about two years into Morrison's JLA, so I'd think he was definitely A-list by then.

Yeah, Red Son sat on a shelf for years.  It was a big deal because it came out when he was an absolute star at Marvel, and here DC was rolling out a book by a Marvel exclusive guy.  It's also one of Millar's best works (for a guy who seemingly hates superheroes, he sure does a damn good Superman...)

I wouldn't call Adventures important, personally (although, again, it was really good.)

And, as I always point out with Millar, I like a lot of his work.  I like Kick-Ass.  I loved The Ultimates.  I liked Ultimate X-Men at the time, but good lord does it not hold up.

But letting him anywhere near the 616 Marvel Universe was such an obviously bad idea, and it proved just as terrible in reality as it did in concept.  That Spider-Man "Dark Knight Returns" esque story?  Civil War?  Both terrible, but they don't come close to the utter stupidity of Trouble.

What, you don't remember Trouble?  The sexcapades story of Ben and May, Richard and Mary?  Oh dear god.

Triaging my comic collection, recycling anything that has no sentimental value and can't be sold at greater than Half Price a Books prices (nickel an item). Just threw a complete set of Countdown to Final Crisis in excellent shape in the bin,because holy shit who would want it?

Triaging my comic collection, recycling anything that has no sentimental value and can't be sold at greater than Half Price a Books prices (nickel an item). Just threw a complete set of Countdown to Final Crisis in excellent shape in the bin,because holy shit who would want it?

My mother-in-law got my stepson (12) some random comics she saw at a flee market. Dragonlance comics and things. Nothing very interesting but he (who would not part with his Hickman FF trades for instance) doesn't want anything to do with them in the cleaning of his room and even though they're not good and I have no emotional connection to them, I still momentarily balked at the idea of just recycling comic books. It feels like blasphemy somehow.

• Like 3

I keep very few of the comics and graphic novels I buy.  I mostly only read complete runs.  Good stuff (Slott's run on Superior Spidey, for example) get filed.  Runs I didn't care for or probably will never want to read again go.... somewhere.  I donate most of the trades to the local library.  More often than not, individual issues get pitched in the trash.  I probably save less than 20 percent of the comics I buy.

Also, old "worthless" comics make great wrapping paper.

i've used comics i don't want anymore/aren't in great shape/aren't worth anything as decor. i'll cut out panels or pages and decorate my long boxes and etc. like a useful collage.

So diving thru the long boxes at my dad's has prompted me to revisit JLA/Avengers for the first time since it was new. Odd how there are a billion little markers of the MU at the time of Kang Dynasty, while Ollie's being alive is pretty much the only signal we get that places it as any more specific than "after Steel and Plastic Man join the JLA but before Obsidian Age."

Also, hilarious and sad to see the DC characters grumbling about how dark and depressing the MU seems, given the way things are today.

• Like 1