DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

Ronaldo or Ibra? My heart hopes for Ibra at the Cup, my head says it´ll be close, but Ronaldo and the Portugese have somehow always gotten through the play offs. Still hoping for Sweden. I think Greece would have been the best draw for Iceland, and maybe having the away game first, but take what you get!.Great matches!

• 4 weeks later...

Reminder that the first legs of Jordan/Uruguay and Mexico/New Zealand are today.

ESPN is airing the English version of Mexico/New Zealand. (UniMas does the US Spanish version)

Might give Cameroon vs Tunisia a watch in a bit, nicely poised at 0-0 for a place in the finals. As far as Tuesday night, fuck England vs Germany, I'm gonna be watching me some Croatia vs Iceland. I dunno if anyone else has read this- http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24931524 -but if Iceland somehow find a way to qualify, it'll be one of the best underdog stories in football history. It'll probably take all hands to the defence pumps for two hours and an agonising penalty shoot out, but I for one will be wearing my Iceland shirt with pride and hoping they pull it off. (Disclaimer-I am not myself one of the noble Vikings of the Icelandic fjords, but my favourite ever Watford player is from there, and I went there once).

A friend of mine told me Cristiano Ronaldo headbutted one of the Swedish players, so I checked out the scene. The ref claimed he saw it and didn´t send him off apparently. His justification for not sending the Portuguese star off was actually the theatralic antics of the player on the opposing team. Funny thing is, the Swedish player, Lustig, didn´t go down. He just grabbed his face in what seems to be a normal reaction too me when you get hit / headbutted, even if it is lightly. While my pub instict says that the ref made the right call, Ronaldo making fun of him after what is - in its action itself - pretty much a red by the rules and the ref apparently accusing Lusting of gamesmanship after the match plus the fact that I have my doubts it would have been the same call the other way around leave a very bitter taste in my mouth aswell as this gets discussed pretty much nowhere in the media or anything.

A friend of mine told me Cristiano Ronaldo headbutted one of the Swedish players, so I checked out the scene. The ref claimed he saw it and didn´t send him off apparently. His justification for not sending the Portuguese star off was actually the theatralic antics of the player on the opposing team. Funny thing is, the Swedish player, Lustig, didn´t go down. He just grabbed his face in what seems to be a normal reaction too me when you get hit / headbutted, even if it is lightly. While my pub instict says that the ref made the right call, Ronaldo making fun of him after what is - in its action itself - pretty much a red by the rules and the ref apparently accusing Lusting of gamesmanship after the match plus the fact that I have my doubts it would have been the same call the other way around leave a very bitter taste in my mouth aswell as this gets discussed pretty much nowhere in the media or anything.

As if CR7 has any room to insinuate that anyone else is a crybaby, ever.

o-CRISTIANO-RONALDO-CRYING-facebook.jpg

• Like 1

And Ghana is the final African team to qualify.

Egypt lost one game the entire qualification run yet didn't advance.

Of course the one loss was a 6-1 blasting... so yeah...

I don't think they are y'know, Algeria and Burkina Faso are just about to kick off...

You are right - for some reason I thought that match was yesterday

And just for the record I approve of any draw that puts the US in with Algeria or Burkina Faso