DVDVR Message Board

RIP Tommy Ramone

Curt McGirt

Grim Reaper time again kids. Sorry.

And then there were none. If it wasn't for Tommy there wouldn't be a Ramones at all, so technically Tommy is one of the most important musicians in rock history of all time, period.

I'm gonna go put on the S/T LP now and wish life didn't like to stick it in and break it off so often.

• Like 2

Man, these guys have had no luck with this shit. That sucks.

Joey Ramone (Jeffrey Hyman) – drums (1974), lead vocals (1974–96; died 2001)[13]
Johnny Ramone (John Cummings) – guitar (1974–96; died 2004)[13]
Dee Dee Ramone (Douglas Colvin) – bass guitar, vocals (1974–89; died 2002)[13]
Tommy Ramone (Thomas Erdelyi) – drums (1974–78;died 2014)[13]
Marky Ramone (Marc Bell) – drums (1978–83, 1987–96)[13]
Richie Ramone (Richard Reinhardt) – drums, vocals (1983–87)[13]
Elvis Ramone (Clement Bozewski) – drums (1987)[73]
C. J. Ramone (Christopher Joseph Ward) – bass guitar, vocals (1989–96)[13]

The Ramones changed my life. They're still probably my favorite band. I got into them in 8th grade, after I head "I Wanna Be Sedated" for the first time on Seton Hall's radio station. My buddy got me one of their Best Of albums for my birthday and that (and R.E.M's Out Of Time) were my introduction into good music. From The Ramones came The Clash and The Descendents and The Queers and Op Ivy and The Dead Kennedys. That led me to the world of DIY shows with local bands like The Bouncing Souls and Weston and Ted Leo's Chisel at church/VFW halls and Rutgers basements.

(R.E.M led me to The Lemonheads and Pavement and Teenage Fanclub and The Pixies and SuperChunk. Those worlds collide with The Replacements, since Tommy produced Tim.)

No other band matched my teenage sense-of-humor more than The Ramones. Their songs were -- and still are -- legitimately funny and great and a look into what it's like to feel like a weirdo but not really care. They also taught me a lesson: Perfect songs are usually 2:45 in length or less, and anything more than that is really in need of some editing in most cases.

I grew up in North Jersey and went to college in Philly. The Ramones played live somewhere within a 75-mile radius of wherever I was living for so much of my life. I always said that I could see them anytime I wanted, since they were always so close. I never did. That's one of the biggest regrets of my life.

The Ramones were SO popular in a lot of other countries. I was on vacation in Spain when Joey passed away. His passing made the front page of the Madrid tabloid paper. It described The Ramones as something like "Irreverentes group de musico Los Ramones," which is absolutely perfect. I was going to keep that paper and frame it but it got caught in a downpour.

I actually worked with a woman who claims to have slept with Joey Ramone. (Which, BTW, is also the title of an awesome book written by Joey's brother.) She was the receptionist at some god awful office job I had in Boston and the only person there who didn't treat me like human garbage. She traveled in NYC art circles in the punk years and met Joey that way. She said he was an incredibly nice guy and had no ego about himself whatsoever.

"I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend" was on the mix CD my wife and I made for our wedding. She loves The Ramones, too. The last long we played at our wedding was "Rockaway Beach." We even made a pilgramidge to Rockaway Beach a few summers ago.

What's insane is that The Ramones first album went gold THIS YEAR. That fact blew my mind, considering pretty much everyone in my circle of friends (and their circle of friends) appreciates The Ramones in some way. But then I had yet another crappy office job a few years ago. I was stuck in a conference room doing some awful paperwork nonsense with some real crapheads. They had on the Sirius 90s channel or whatever and were talking about their favorite bands -- It was as woeful as you'd think. I was avoiding talking to these people as much as possible, when I was finally asked who my favorite bands were. I paused to try and think of someone they might know and mentioned The Ramones and The Clash. They never heard of them! I then mentioned how they did "Blitzkrieg Bop" and they knew that.

How tragic.

Adios, Amigos

• Like 2

I saw The Ramones in 88 at the legendary City Gardens in Trenton, NJ and it was one the most fun and crazy shows I've ever been to. The Ramones were one of the best fucking bands ever. Me and my pals were and are Deadheads and we all worship the Ramones. They crossed over all boundaries. Who doesn't love the Ramones?