DVDVR Message Board

Lex Luger

Big Z

I thought The Narcissist was Luger's best incarnation, it was the perfect gimmic for the guy and was stupidly short lived

I never bought Lex in that gimmick.  Great physique but not a handsome guy.  The best thing about the Narcissist gimmick was replacing Luger's shitty backbreaker (that only had one set-up move) with the badass forearm smash flash finisher.

Luger gets unjustly shit on by the majority of people. He was great from late 88 til around 91/92

"Great" seems like a bit much.

I don't think he was as good as Barry Windham or Dan Spivey during that period.

I've seen Butch Reed vs Ric Flair and Butch Reed v Dick Murdoch, Luger really comes off as a dime store Butch Reed opposite same opponents during this "great" time period.

I think it's pretty widely accepted that Luger is a better Flair opponent than Sting, but did Luger bring as much to plate opposite  Hansen as Sting brought opposite Vader, what are people's thoughts on Luger v Nikita vis a vis Sting v Nikita?

Luger was pretty consistently entertaining in that 88-92 period but "great" feels like a bit much.

He was great to me. Looking back and he stands out so much on those WCW ppvs. If he entertains me and makes me want to watch more of him, and Lex did that for me throughout those years and his 95/96 bff Sting period, then to me he is great. I know a lot of people just hate him cause they think he can be lazy and unmotivated. He can be just going through the motions in some matches but the majority of the the time he brings it and those years he brought it night in and night out. Looking back on those years with the network and he has been one of my favorites in the late 80s.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So where are all the great Dan Spivey matches? The only singles match he had as good as Lex vs Nikita Kollof from 87 is against Luger. 

Liked Dan Spivey, big clubberin' dude, in All Japan as well as part of the Skyscrapers 

Wasn't a fan of Luger's work. His punches were among the worst I've ever seen. The majority of his matches that I enjoyed were because of his opponent or tag partner. Flair. Steamboat. Teaming with Windham vs. Arn and Tully at the first Clash. Teaming with Sting vs. the Steiners. War Games. Etc.

(Friends and I cheered when Hansen beat Lex at Halloween Havoc)

I'll credit Luger for being a terrific arrogant prick during his '89 heel run. Loved his "there's your number one contender" line

I thought The Narcissist was Luger's best incarnation, it was the perfect gimmic for the guy and was stupidly short lived

I never bought Lex in that gimmick.  Great physique but not a handsome guy. 

Shame on You!

Lex_Luger_-_Lawrence_Pfohl_01.jpg

I always liked Luger. I'll agree that 91 was probably his absolute peak. It's a shame the deal with Flair happened because it would have been much better for Luger as World Champion if he finally beat Flair for the title.

His return to WCW was really good and he was pretty good from 95 up until they threw him into the NWO. I mean Wolfpac Luger was cringe worthy. But the match he had with Hogan and him beating him for the title on Nitro still is one of the best WCW moments ever. I was so sick of all things Hogan at that point and when Luger racked him and won the title it was such a great moment. Then he lost the title back a week later at Road Wild in typical NWO bullshit.

WWF Luger wasn't bad...he was just so out of place with them. Personally I would have rather seen him be just Lex Luger as a face in the same role he was challenging Flair when he was going after Yokozuna for the title. Luger/Hart for the title might have been a better feud, but Hogan really screwed things up when he had to take the title and Bret never got his return match.

So where are all the great Dan Spivey matches? The only singles match he had as good as Lex vs Nikita Kollof from 87 is against Luger. 

Liked Dan Spivey, big clubberin' dude, in All Japan as well as part of the Skyscrapers 

Wasn't a fan of Luger's work. His punches were among the worst I've ever seen. The majority of his matches that I enjoyed were because of his opponent or tag partner. Flair. Steamboat. Teaming with Windham vs. Arn and Tully at the first Clash. Teaming with Sting vs. the Steiners. War Games. Etc.

(Friends and I cheered when Hansen beat Lex at Halloween Havoc)

I'll credit Luger for being a terrific arrogant prick during his '89 heel run. Loved his "there's your number one contender" line

I like Spivey too, huge fan of the Varsity Club and the Skyscrapers. I like the match he had with Sting in AJPW. 

Trying to say Luger's best matches were because of his opponents is a cop out. Steamboat himself gives Lex full credit for the Bash 89 match. He was a smarter worker than the Steiners or Sting. He had a really good match with Nikita in 87, when he was still green, with Micheal Hayes on PPV and guys like Tommy Rich and Brad Armstrong on TV. 

And really who had their best matches with bad wrestlers. 

Oh, DVDVR, this is why I love you. Talking about a guy's fake punches not looking realistic enough.

His return to WCW was really good and he was pretty good from 95 up until they threw him into the NWO. I mean Wolfpac Luger was cringe worthy. But the match he had with Hogan and him beating him for the title on Nitro still is one of the best WCW moments ever. I was so sick of all things Hogan at that point and when Luger racked him and won the title it was such a great moment. Then he lost the title back a week later at Road Wild in typical NWO bullshit.

The look on Randy Anderson's face as he called for the bell when Hogan gave up put the whole moment over the top.

Oh, DVDVR, this is why I love you. Talking about a guy's fake punches not looking realistic enough.

Hey! I've never seen this Ned guy in my life.

Didn't write that they weren't realistic enough. Wrote that they were among the worst I've seen. Big difference

Luger had an awkward throwing motion that annoyed me

(I haven't had caffeine today and am going delusional)

May I recommend you go right to the espresso. Caffeine good

Hey! I've never seen this Ned guy in my life.

Unpossible. That spinning skull gif of yours is a picture of my noggin, complete with a red hole at the bottom for proper drainage