DVDVR Message Board

For Thanksgiving, El Rey is hosting a four-day Way of the Turkey marathon of kung-fu films hosted by Bruce Lee's daughter and El Jefe himself, Dario Cueto! As he says in the commercial, it's "El Rey's celebration of vi-o-lence" (spoken with shit-eating grin). So, you've got a good backup for the triptophan coma.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, how I loved Way of the Turkey marathon.  Bruce Lee's daughter brings lots of cool information for her dad's movies.  And Dario is just looking like the coolest motherfuck in the world.  I got such glee seeing him talking about how he experienced something from Five Fingers of Death.  The scene where Black Lotus killed the guy was done with the same music from the movie.  That was pretty damn cool.  Can't recommend this marathon enough.

And the best part is that I can get the Xfinity app and watch this live while at work.  What a fantastic way to pass the time on a slow work day.

Aw, damn, that sucks.  For what it's worth, it's movies you likely saw a bunch of times on the network anyway.  I'm keeping an eye out for somebody taking Dario's segments and putting them into one video.  Or better yet, for now on when they air those movies they should just take out the mention of the marathon and keep the intros in.

• 3 weeks later...

I love I COME IN PEACE.  I still think they needed to do a sequel where Dolph Lungren's character goes after the White Boy gang he was trying to bust in the first act of the movie.  Unappreciated and underused villains make me sad.

Thursday's kung fu feature is the 36 Chamber trilogy.. Can probably skip it since I have seen it a million times and know the fights almost by heart.

Gremlins and Gremlins 2 premiers on Saturday.

Sunday has the Brave Archer Trilogy AND THE BATTLE WIZARD FUCK YEAH~!

I love I COME IN PEACE.  I still think they needed to do a sequel where Dolph Lungren's character goes after the White Boy gang he was trying to bust in the first act of the movie.  Unappreciated and underused villains make me sad.

If you guys get the Grit channel (it's one of those digital subchannels) they play Dolph movies all the time like Red Scorpion and Bridge of Dragons.  It's a pretty good channel, basically the rabbit ears over the air version of El Rey.  The movies are edited though.

Hasn't Red Scorpion already been on El Rey? I watched that during a sleepover as a kid but don't remember anything. Actually, I think we rented I Come In Peace AND Red Scorpion, and marvelled at THE BOOBIES! during the one scene where the alien drug dealer kills that girl and rips her shirt open.

EDIT: Aw man. I Come In Peace is on right now and there were no tits in that scene. But there were in the strip club scene earlier, maybe that's what I was thinking of.

Yeah, pretty much.  After slogging through SD  when 36th Chamber came on everything got so much better.

Any word yet on what Godzilla movies are coming on next week?  I love watching them, but am hoping for more variety this time around.

Their schedule on the website only goes to the 24th but listed there are

Gojira

Godzilla (US)

Rodan

Ghidorah

Godzilla Raids Again

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Mothra vs. Godzilla

Godzilla's Revenge

Terror of Mechagodzilla

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II

I'm guessing that last one is one of the newer cycle films. Otherwise, looks pretty familiar.

EDIT: "newer" being 1993 shows how much I know about anything after Biollante

• 1:30 AM 

GODZILLA VS. MOTHRA

• 3:30 AM 

GODZILLA VS. SPACEGODZILLA

• 6:00 AM 

GODZILLA VS. DESTOROYAH

• 8:15 AM 

GODZILLA VS. KING GHIDORAH

• 10:30 AM 

GODZILLA AGAINST MECHAGODZILLA (2002)

• 12:30 PM 

GODZILLA VS. MEGAGUIRUS...

• 2:45 PM 

GODZILLA, MOTHRA AND KING GHIDORAH: GIANT MONSTERS ALL-OUT ATTACK

• 5:00 PM 

GODZILLA: TOKYO S.O.S.

• 7:00 PM 

GODZILLA: FINAL WARS

• 9:45 PM 

GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS

• 11:30 PM 

GHIDORRAH: THE THREE HEADED MONSTER

Here's all of Friday/Xmas. They're promoting ten US debuts so all of those plus the Mechagodzilla II are it

So next week on Monday we continue with Mr. Lundgren with Red Scorpion (told ya) and Masters of the Universe (already played a bunch and the first film I ever saw in a theater). But more importantly, after the Kaiju Marathon over Xmas and Road House on New Year's, we get V - The Miniseries! I've never seen this in full (barely any of it really) and am super hyped to watch it. 

Also, can Marvel now make a real real good Punisher now that the rights have reverted to them again this year? I mean I actually like the Thomas Jane one, and this Lundgren one here is passable, and I actually REALLY like War Zone because it's fuckin' insane, but we need a Punisher with the Kingpin that hits the same frisson that I still feel when I read the issue #15 I bought when I was five years old. It could be Dark Knight level if they do it right. 

EDIT: Oh and there's a '90s Twilight Zone marathon on New Year's too if you care, and a bunch of Miami Vice. Not sure which day but you can find that out

It's running all day today and tomorrow for those of you who missed the last couple days.

Yup, caught House of Traps this morning as the last gasp of the marathon.

That movie was killer, the staircase that turned into guillotines and cut the dude's feet off blew my mind.

Also, Death Race 2000 was fucking AWESOME!  Some great tits in that movie, and President Frankenstein gets all the endorsements!

House of Traps is one of my favorite SB movies that barely anyone has seen.  I can forgive Rodruiguez for having the short kaiju catalogue so long as he keeps the SB library chock full of gems.   I don't understand how he has rare treasures like House of Traps and The Battle Wizard and still has not managed to get Avenging Warriors of Shaolin on television.

It is not SB, but he needs to work a deal to get The Incredible Kung Fu Mission into the rotation.

House of Traps is one of my favorite SB movies that barely anyone has seen.  I can forgive Rodruiguez for having the short kaiju catalogue so long as he keeps the SB library chock full of gems.   I don't understand how he has rare treasures like House of Traps and The Battle Wizard and still has not managed to get Avenging Warriors of Shaolin on television.

It is not SB, but he needs to work a deal to get The Incredible Kung Fu Mission into the rotation.

I liked some of the violent bits in House of Traps, but it was pretty obvious by this point (1982) that Chang Cheh was kind of sick of directing kung fu movies so everything else just seems kinda blah to me.  Not a bad movie by any means, but there should definitely have been more action.

Funimation owns the US rights to Avenging Warriors of Shaolin (aka Shaolin Rescuers).

The Incredible Kung Fu Mission is basically public domain, or probably more accurately, the production company went out of business and no one ever got the rights.  It's one of those movies that you can find "official" gray market DVDs for like 3 bucks on Amazon or the whole thing on YouTube.

I think El Rey's deal was for just a batch of films, I don't think Robert had say one way or another which films were in the package.

• 3 weeks later...

House of Traps is totally worth it for the end. Ingenious traps and sweet weapons that serve multiple purposes. I mean one guy has an iron claw weapon that turns into a freakin zipline! Honestly I'd like to see a modern remake of the film. Everything in it (including the plot) is so elaborate but so cool looking.

I doubt that anyone doesn't know yet but the second season of Lucha Underground starts January 27th and there's a marathon of the first season right before. Jaws and Alien are getting airings soon too. As much as it's nice for those to get a shot on the network I'd rather see them dig up Great White or Galaxy of Terror instead.