DVDVR Message Board

The Beastmaster and Ladyhawke are gonna be on Brass Knuckle Monday and all the next two days is Puppet Master sequels. Wednesday into Thursday morning is the Prophecy movies (that first one is awesome, btw), and Thursday is the Sentimental Swordsman films. I'm getting pretty sick of all the goddamn Knight Rider and Airwolf reruns; it's getting as bad as Miami Vice was...

So much for going to bed early on Thursday night.   The entire Sentimental Swordsman trilogy is going to be on and starts @ 4PM EST with a replay starting @ 10PM EST.  Looks like an Ah-nold marathon on Saturday.

On 8/3/2016 at 9:35 AM, J.T. said:

So much for going to bed early on Thursday night.   The entire Sentimental Swordsman trilogy is going to be on and starts @ 4PM EST with a replay starting @ 10PM EST.  Looks like an Ah-nold marathon on Saturday.

I have these DVRed, but if you wouldn't mind a little primer on the trilogy would be appreciated.  How good is the action and story, and is there a standout among the three?  Thanks in advance.

Sentimental Swordsman has a somewhat convoluted plot but it is directed by Yuen Chor so you can expect colorful characters and excellent fights.  It is a very traditional wuxia movie so the fights are primarily weapon based with lots of intricate swordplay and the stunt work is insane for a 1977 movie.  If you are a big fan of Chang Cheh's fist fights, you may be slightly underwhelmed, but I highly recommend it.  Sentimental Swordsman has the notoriety of being one of the Shaw Brother's top grossing films in the studio's history.

The second film, Return of the Sentimental Swordsman, is a bit more of the same action, but it draws quite a bit on the retired gunfighter theme from the Westerns.  A very solid movie with some minor flaws, but still entertaining.

The interesting thing about Perils of the Sentimental Swordsman is that it really doesn't have anything to do with the characters from the Sentimental Swordsman.   It is actually a direct sequel to Clans of Intrigue and Legend of the Bat and its title in China was Phantom Mountains Manor, but SB slapped the SS title on this movie for name recognition to cash in on the growing popularity of kung fu movies abroad.  Ti Lung plays a character named Chu Liuxiang rather than reprising his role of Flying Dagger Li Xunhuan. The fights are extremely good and Ti Lung's use of the Iron Fan as Chu Liuxiang preferred weapon is pretty awesome.

Speaking of trilogies, the Brave Archer trilogy is gonna be on next Thursday.

Oh and there's a Dolph Lundgren marathon next Saturday so hopefully we get Red Scorpion and I'm sure we get I Come In Peace again.

EDIT: Aw shit they already showed Red Scorpion before so we get it for sure... and MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE too! The first movie my dad ever took me to when I was a kid, god I love that piece of crap. 

• Like 1

Not sure why they didn't show I Come In Peace.  It had definitely been on the rotation before.

God, I sooo wanted a movie where Jack Kaine and Larry flew down to Rio for a showdown with Victor Manning and the White Boys.

• 4 weeks later...

Jon Favreau and Frank Darabont are gonna be on a double-feature of The Director's Chair on September 25th. 

Wow, you can kind of tell how far El Rey's fallen off in their programming; I had to find this thread on the second page. At the same time Heroes Two is on and some crazy movie called Blood for Blood starring Ernest Borgnine (?!) is on at like 1 AM. And then around 3 AM a movie called Motorcycle Gang (?!!!) starring Gerald McRaney?

There's still good stuff on there, but maybe they're saving the better stuff for fall?  I wouldn't say their programming has fallen off, more that they're just holding off since people were on vacation and such.  They did something kind of similar last year too.

I think the amount of Airwolf and Knight Rider episodes instead of their old Miami Vice-into-kung fu daytime programming kind of bummed me out. That and the sudden reign of Full Moon and SyFy terror (nothing against Full Moon; I was their biggest fan when I was a kid, but seriously -- the Gingerdead Man marathons?). They might indeed be picking up their sticks again because the Psycho marathon was pretty boss and of course LU's back.

EDIT: Looking at the schedule they're putting on Logan's Run and Outland again tonight, and tomorrow The Crow and The Crow: City of Angels. And there is Miami Vice again. So hey, that's better too

I was totally stoked to see that Logan's Run and Outland were on last night.  I DVRed the post 10PM replay to get the uncut versions so that I can transfer them to DVD-R.

El Rey's block of Miami Vice episodes don't run the classics nearly as much as it should. 

I have only seen Out Where The Buses Don't Run in the schedule only once or twice and it is never on when I am at home to see it and I always manage to forget to DVR it.. 

I don't think I've ever seen Little Miss Dangerous on, although I'm pretty sure they've aired it by now.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 7:06 AM, J.T. said:

They need to dig deeper into the Shaw Brothers library and look into raiding Golden Harvest.

Fortune Star owns the rights to the GH and they charge a ton to use their films.  El Rey probably busted their nut just getting the Bruce Lee movies.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

I was totally stoked to see that Logan's Run and Outland were on last night.  I DVRed the post 10PM replay to get the uncut versions so that I can transfer them to DVD-R.

El Rey's block of Miami Vice episodes don't run the classics nearly as much as it should. 

I have only seen Out Where The Buses Don't Run in the schedule only once or twice and it is never on when I am at home to see it and I always manage to forget to DVR it.. 

I don't think I've ever seen Little Miss Dangerous on, although I'm pretty sure they've aired it by now.

I had Little Miss Dangerous and Out Where The Buses Don't Run saved till my damn DVR exploded, so they've definitely shown both.  My wife had never seen either, so I made her sit through the latter.  She liked it, but wanted to know why there were showing Crockett and Tubbs driving through Miami. I told her because it was the greatest thing in the history of anything ever, but I don't think that satisfied her.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So.... HOUSE OF MOTHER FUCKING TRAPS~! comes on this afternoon @ 4PM EST.  I hope there is something to eat at the house because I'm not stopping by the story like I said I was going to.

And today is Alexander Fu Sheng's birthday (RIP). He would've been 62 today. :(

On 10/21/2016 at 1:48 PM, Curt McGirt said:

No dice. The Brave Archer and The Battle Wizard are replaying at some point but from a quick scroll, everything looks to be horror. Lots of replays of the CHUD and Pumpkinhead movies. They are playing Suspiria and Hellraiser though...

Yeah, I caught the BATTLE WIZARD~! right after church and then flipped to football since I've seen the Brave Archer trilogy dozens of times already.

I avoid watching any of the horror stuff until after 9PM when the blurry screen censoring the naughty bits goes away.

This weekend leads up to Halloween and is chock full of stuff I've seen before.  The bright spot being that 8PM on Sunday will feature

john-carpenter.jpg?itok=kg4-BRgx

I am a sucker for anthologies, so I will check this out.

Read this article for the details on the line up!!!

• Like 1

Goddammit El Rey. Yeah, they have the short horror showcase, but otherwise the ENTIRE WEEKEND is Full Moon Central. Yuck. Yes, I do love Full Moon, but they can do so much better for Halloween. It's almost enough to make one lose faith...

On the other hand Shadow of the Vampire and Daybreakers are playing on Wednesday. The first two Critters on Friday after some other trash and on Thursday there's The Master, Five Shaolin Masters, The Invincible Shaolin and Holy Flame of the Martial World playing, so set your DVRs

Just a heads up the guy who decides the censored day and uncensored night versions must be on vacation because day time boobs have been in full effect all week. 

In addition to the earlier GH suggestion I'll throw in my hope we start getting some Street Fighter/Sister Street Fighter exploitation style martial arts movies eventually. Channel is seriously lacking some Sonny Chiba. 

• Like 1

Actually, the entire Street Fighter trilogy has been on at least once or twice in the past.   Not sure why there is a programming drought for those movies as it seems like Shaolin Mantis or Cult of the White Lotus seems to be on every three weeks.

if El Rey really wants to impress me with their Sonny Chiba acumen, they will get the rights to The Executioners or Shogun's Ninja...

I'm a bit bummed because I am on shift tonight and Holy Flame Of The Martial World comes on this evening in the late block.

The El Rey censor was asleep at the wheel last Monday, too.  The Jenny Agutter nudity for Logan's Run was shown well before 9PM.

Throw in Karate Bull/Bear fighter, Killing Machine, Makai Tensho, Ninja Wars. All the JAC Chiba movies could fill a good amount of programming. 

Hell even the Yagyu Jubei 80'show I have in a box somewhere would be great daytime rerun material.