DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 38: Shogun vs. Henderson II (3/23/2014) - Natal, Rio Grande do Norte, Brazil (Ginásio Nélio Dias)

Elsalvajeloco

UFN_38_event_poster.jpg

UFC Fight Night 38: Shogun vs. Henderson II

March 23, 2014

Natal, Rio Grande do Norte, Brazil (Ginásio Nélio Dias)

Maurício Rua (205) vs. Dan Henderson (202) - Henderson, TKO (punches), R3 (1:31)

Cezar Ferreira (184) vs. C.B. Dollaway (185) - Dollaway, TKO (punches), R1 (0:39)

Léonardo Santos (155) vs. Norman Parke (156) - DRAW (majority)

Fábio Maldonado (203) vs. Gian Villante (204) - Maldonado, DEC (unanimous)

Michel Prazeres (155) vs. Mairbek Taisumov (155) - Prazeres, DEC (unanimous)

Rony Jason (145) vs. Steven Siler (146) - Jason, TKO (referee stoppage), R1 (1:17)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:

Ronny Markes (190)* vs. Thiago Santos (183) - Santos, TKO (strikes), R1 (0:53)

Jussier Formiga (125) vs. Scott Jorgensen (125) - Formiga, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (3:07)

Thiago Perpétuo (170) vs. Kenny Robertson (171) - Robertson, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (1:45)

Francimar Barroso (204vs. Hans Stringer (204) - Stringer, DEC (split)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:

Godofredo Castro (145) vs. Noad Lahat (145) - Castro, KO (flying knee), R1 (2:39)

*Chose not to reweigh; forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000):

Performance of the Night: Godofredo Castro

Performance of the Night: Dan Henderson

Fight of the Night: Maurício Rua vs. Dan Henderson

Attendance: 6,828

Rating: 936,000 viewers

Cancelled Bouts:

Gleison Tibau vs. Mairbek Taisumov - Injury to Tibau

Diego Brandão vs. Will Chope - Chope Released From UFC contract

Got to go with Shogun this time. Hendo moves like he's underwater lately.

I'm going with Shogun as well, possibly by KO/TKO.

Yeah I agree with Shogun by TKO. I think Vitor might have finished off what was left of Hendo's chin.

Guest Edwin

Rony Jason/Siler is an excellent fight.

30-26 Ferreira!

Hopefully Chope can put Brandao to sleep again.

And FORMIGA/Jorgensen is another fight too. Sucks there's a good chance Jorgensen wins a deicision.

This constant UFC card every week is really burning me out as a fan.

I didn't enjoy the first fight and both of these guys suck. I don't know how these guys are ranked top ten in UFC. One guy is 6-6 in the UFC while the other guy just came off of three straight losses. Why are they fighting in the main event? Zuffa should have cut both of them a long time ago. Henderson just drew a TERRIBLE buyrate against Evans in the mainevent of UFC 161, so he has effectively proven not to be a draw. Shogun isn't a draw either. A sloppy fight beaten two guys past their primes with shitty records is the mainevent of a show people are excited to watch? The UFC needs to just say 'fuck it' and bring in Baroni, Randleman, Overeem's brother, and Bob Sapp and push them to the moon. LHW rankings continue to be a joke.

Personally I think this card sucks. It's a shitty main event with a weak undercard. It's a product of the current model of the UFC. Too many shows.

Not sure how the fight will turn out, but their last fight was a PPV main event and it was one of the greatest fights of all time.

Guest Edwin

Not sure how the fight will turn out, but their last fight was a PPV main event and it was one of the greatest fights of all time.

I didn't enjoy the first fight and both of these guys suck.

Personally I think this card sucks. It's a shitty main event with a weak undercard. It's a product of the current model of the UFC. Too many shows.

I can appreciate that opinion for sure because it was an entertaining fight but I'd phrase it as one of the most fun slugfests to watch.  Definitely not one of the greatest.  It was two dudes who both gassed out and both had great chins.  So it was rock em sock em robots basically.  Not to mention that since that fight took place both fighters have gone backwards. 

The first fight was highly overrated. I do not believe two guys, who were gassed after the 3rd round, spamming punches and showing zero technique in other aspects of their 'diverse' game is an example of a good fight. Tons of heart? Absolutely. Diego Sanchez has heart but is completely one demensional as hell and he can't win anything outside of a fluke decision. Henderson at-this-point is the LHW Roy Nelson. He has one punch and gases easily. Shogun has been trash for a very long time and has shown that outside the first round, he can't hold up. If the fight is left standing and Shogun is able to finish in the first- he looks amazing, but as soon as his opponent begins working on Shogun's Rey Mysterio-like knees, Shogun begins to fade and get out classed. I honestly don't know how anyone can look at these guys UFC records and say 'Yep! They are top ten in the division!'.

I can appreciate that opinion for sure because it was an entertaining fight but I'd phrase it as one of the most fun slugfests to watch.  Definitely not one of the greatest.  It was two dudes who both gassed out and both had great chins.  So it was rock em sock em robots basically.  Not to mention that since that fight took place both fighters have gone backwards. 

I mean they are still among the top 10 light heavyweights in the world in one of the tougher divisions in MMA.  Shogun's gone 2-2 since that fight.  Henderson's in decline, but he's in his 40's and is starting to look his age.  And between them, they are two of the most successful fighters in the history of the sport.  

Also, if you look at the careers of both fighters I'd hesitate to call either one of them incredibly technical with great head movement.  To me a good fight can go any number of ways.  I thought Condit put in a good technical effort and a smart strategy against Diaz by not getting caught up in his antics which clearly frustrated Diaz, and yet a lot of people complained about it.  So I don't know what fans want in a fight sometimes.

Guest Edwin

I wasn't going to because I thought you were trolling, but might as well and here we go...

The first fight was highly overrated.

Ok...

I do not believe two guys, who were gassed after the 3rd round, spamming punches and showing zero technique in other aspects of their 'diverse' game is an example of a good fight.

By this logic, Manhoef/Cyborg, Garcia/KZ I, Frye/Takayama, etc. aren't an "example of a good fight."

Also this is bs. Sure they began throwing bombs early on in the fight, but both guys began relying less on throwing bombs and more on their grapplings skills the deeper the fight went.

Diego Sanchez has heart but is completely one demensional as hell and he can't win anything outside of a fluke decision.

Diego isn't one dimensional. His striking is actually one of the weakest aspects of his game. He's just begun to rely on it because it makes for exciting fights and it gaines him popularity and money.

He's actually a good grappler. Which means he's not one dimensional. Watch Diego/Karo as a perfect example of how good of a grappler he actually is.

Henderson at-this-point is the LHW Roy Nelson. He has one punch and gases easily.

Hendo's cardio has always sucked. He mostly relies on his one punch power because it's his most effect tool and has brought him 5 of his last 7 wins.

When his one punch power doesn't payoff, he relies on his wrestling.

See Johny Hendricks as another example of a fighter relying primarily on his one punch KO power and then on his wrestling if he doesn't get the KO.

Roy Nelson is another good grappler who prefers to put on an exciting fight or get an exciting KO that'll get him more fans, popularity and money than relying mostly on his grappling.

Shogun has been trash for a very long time and has shown that outside the first round, he can't hold up. If the fight is left standing and Shogun is able to finish in the first- he looks amazing, but as soon as his opponent begins working on Shogun's Rey Mysterio-like knees, Shogun begins to fade and get out classed.

Shogun put an end to the "Machida era" at LHW pretty much by taking him to a close decision many thought he won and then by knocking him out.

Shogun was also the LHW champion not to long ago; took Machida to a decision; knocked out Liddell, Machida, Forrest, Vera and Te-Huna and couldn't be finished by the #2 LHW in the world Gus.

Sure Shogun has cardio problems in some fights, but since signing with the UFC, Shogun has left the first round 6 times with 3 of those fights going to the judges and 2 of those decisions being controversial decisions that can be argued in favor of Shogun.

Guest Edwin

I get what you are saying, but how the hell are you going to reference a Diego Sanchez fight that happened in 2006? 

The point is that it proves that he's not one dimensional overall or hasn't been one dimensional overall and has other aspects in his game that he just opts not to use.

Someone like Paul Daley, Professor X, Pat Barry, etc. are the true definition of one dimensional.

I get what you are saying, but how the hell are you going to reference a Diego Sanchez fight that happened in 2006? 

The point is that it proves that he's not one dimensional overall or hasn't been one dimensional overall and has other aspects in his game that he just opts not to use.

Someone like Paul Daley, Professor X, Pat Barry, etc. are the true definition of one dimensional.

Again, I understand what you are trying to say, but that absolutely does not prove any point. That fight happened 3 YEARS! before BJ stole his soul, and that fight feels like an eternity ago.  It's a different sport now. It very clearly a different Diego Sanchez.

I do think he's a decent defensive grappler, but I certainly wouldn't use the Karo fight as the barometer.