DVDVR Message Board

The Batman: Arkham series.

The bad guys do feel harder and more resilient in this game than City.

Just wrapped New Game+.  Unfortunately I was not able to complete the Worst Nightmare path and ended on Rank 13.  I tried about a dozen times to do the 3 guys with one propane tank trick in the bridge predator rooms, but the jerks just kept moving away and started shooting at me whenever I was about to grapple the tank over to them.

Now I have two more trophies to unlock, not sure what they are, but I assume one of them is Deathstroke.

I think I realised the lack of real stealth is what's missing in these games. Obviously battering people has its merits, and the predator rooms are good, but most of the time you're just fighting goons in the open.

I did a 911 call and had about twenty bad guys punching me while getting also sniped. Seems like everything Batman wouldn't be involved in

The preponderance of snipers scattered around the city really is annoying. In particular, the array of snipers in the Diamond District made it a nightmare any time I had to pass through there. I absolutely dreaded having to go through the process of taking those guys out so I could do anything.

The preponderance of snipers scattered around the city really is annoying. In particular, the array of snipers in the Diamond District made it a nightmare any time I had to pass through there. I absolutely dreaded having to go through the process of taking those guys out so I could do anything.

Yes.  I mean, Joker guarding his territory in a giant prison colony with smuggled weapons makes sense.

Here, oh we have a mandatory curfew, so some crooks will be stationed out everywhere with high-tech sniper rifles.

Or, there's the matter of a $50M reward for anyone that kills the dude dressed as a giant Bat, so there is that.  

Far as the story goes:

Game is a great Year 2 story.  Loved the Bane fight at the end, even though it was fucking hard as hell.  Finishing Joker sequence with Carol of the Bells playing was aces too.  

If the post credit sequence was to get me to buy a Deathstroke/Suicide Squad game made by WB Games using the Arkham engine, then I might as well hand over my $60 right now.

Or the DLC could be all Deathstroke related

I need to finish off the side missions now before I hit up New Game+

And yes, I am insane enough to take on "I am the Night" mode.

I enjoyed the game, but it really is blatant how WB Montreal just took Rocksteady's assets and slapped a new coat of paint on them. Examples off the top of my head:

-The Pinkney plaques are the Arkham symbols from AA.

-The Anarky missions are a mashup of the Azraeal "spot the guy on the rooftop" stuff and the Zsasz missions from AC.

-The Anarky tags are the Riddler question marks.

-Black Mask's drug stashes are the Titan containers in AC.

-The Mad Hatter sidequest is the Scarecrow levels from AA.

-The Shiva stuff is a mashup of a Riddler room and the Talia stuff from AC.

-The Deadshot fight is the Two-Face/Catwoman predator encounter from AC.

-The Firefly fight reminds me a lot of the Poison Ivy fight from AA.

-The Copperhead fight is a mashup of the Mad Hatter brawl and parts of the Ra's al Ghul fight in AC.

-The last Bane fight mashes up the series' classic "dodge the Titan" trope with the Mr. Freeze fight from AC.

There's more stuff I'm forgetting. On the plus side, they were wise not to bring over the Solomon Grundy fight, which was my least favorite of the series. And, while extremely frustrating, I thought the last Bane fight was a pretty inspired idea.

Only the Deathstroke fight felt completely new and different. Although now that I think about it, even that fight recycled the "block Ra's al Ghul's sword strokes in rapid succession" quicktime event from AC.

Did anybody else know about the Pinkney plaques beforehand? I didn't even know they were a thing until after I finished the game and I was looking up some help for finding the last few Anarky tags I was missing.

I saw them on my first playthrough and I saw that they popped up in Detective mode, but I didn't think they were something important.  I only realized they were something you needed to investigate when I was finishing up my Gotham Intel section, and there weren't enough Anarky symbols to finish that area.  

The Pinkney plaques were a neat little collectible thing as they give some good bits of extra story to the world of the games.

Yeah, they reused the assets from the previous games, but WB Games succeded where a lot of other developers have failed before.  They didn't fix what wasn't broken.  Yeah, they slowed down combat a bit and increased the number and toughness of the mooks, and reused boss patterns, but they more than made up for it in story, and how some of the newer areas were fleshed out (like the bridge maintence area and the entire Hotel).  I think a delay to polish some things like mooks getting stuck, and minor clip problems (although I had a huge one in the beginning of the first Bane fight, where I clipped through the floor,) but I'll chalk that up to pressure from the studio/console devs to get something out in time for Holidays/new console launches.  

Still, game did give Rocksteady some good stuff for their future games, like the detective side missions.

I also realize I didn't do any of the challenge maps yet, and some of the campaigns look awesome (like the Knightfall campaign where you use the Azrael suit.)

I'm finding it annoying that there doesn't seem to be any way to mark Anarky and PInkey plaques on the map to find them outside of using the internets.

100 to 1 with Deathstroke is fucking aces though.

Gave up on the Riddler shit. Due to a glitch I can't enter the church and wrap up Black Mask's sidequest and as a result can't get the last couple of remaining Data packs. Also having a lot of frame rate issues lately. The more I play this game the more I hate WB for making it.

I went back to playing Arkham Asylum (which is ridiculously easy compared to City and Origins, especially the predator missions). The game is still great and I really miss having Scarecrow in Origins. Easily the highlights of the game. Also reminded me of the fact how spooky that game actually was. There is something about wandering through a mental hospital that's kind of unsettling.

I thought the final Bane fight was MUCH easier than the first one. First one took me a dozen tries to pass and more than 1 rage quit. Final fight, I beat him first time and he didn't even touch me.