DVDVR Message Board

Destiny

Big Fresh

JT - I love you but you make some bad decisions

Two manning the 34 POE with a 13 year old who doesn't have a Level 34 character would be one of them

Moody soloed the first round himself @ 33.  We two-manned Rounds 2-3 and nearly walked through them.

Round 4 was the crusher.  Mine diffusion / zone defense in the open really sucked so Moody brought in one of his friends to help.  We finally got through Round 4 when Moody and our helper stopped doing dumb things but the other kid had to quit out for bedtime.  I tried hard not to make fun of the guy.  His mom sounded furious.  I think he was sneaking in the gameage when he was supposed to be grounded.

Once we lost our third member, we were pretty much dead in the water for Round 5 but I have nearly two-manned Round 5 of the 34 PoE before so I figured we'd give it a try.

I knew what we had to do in order to win and we had Kaliks on the ropes a couple of times, but Moody simply does not know how to run a Sunsinger (He plays on his mom's Destiny account and his mom is a friend of my aunt. The Sunsinger is her character but she plays at odd times with her own clan.) and his situational awareness isn't that great. 

He relies on Fireborn too much for survival, lets himself get cornered, and dies at the worst possible times which makes me have to scramble for a revive run and he depends on weapon damage when he should be duimping metric tons of Solar or Fusion Grenades on Kaliks to keep the DoTs going.

My mom laughed at me the entire time.  She thinks I should start a business and call it Destiny Daycare.  Needless to say we didn't beat Kaliks and called it a night right after you had to bail.  We may try the 32 PoE tonight and maybe hit the 34 if we have a third person.  I'm also up for any raid that goes down tonight since I've knocked out the Weekly and the Nightfall.

Had my best Control match to date yesterday with this new Bladesinger (28-10, 5880 points) .  Slowly creeping up on the elusive 30+ Kills / 6000+ point match.  My last kill of the match got me Nail In the Coffin and Relentless medals.  I played like crap my first match so that being my last PvP match of the day felt good.. prepped me for the PoE insanity to come.

PvP bounties are trash today so I am up for early raiding if the nightowls of the Coalition log on early.  If you guys aren't on until late, I will probably knock off early for the night and either catch Lucha Underground or TNA or maybe watch Unfriended, Ex Machina, or It Follows on the parent's Xfinity On Demand.

And Holy Crap, Mis.  I hope your daughter is doing better.  My kid caught a head cold just in time for her trip to Virginia Beach this week so she is pretty pissed off right now.  I feel your fatherly pain.

And I fucking told you that Gunslingers can quad jump with those things.   PvE maps have defined ceilings during missions to keep you from wallbreaching so that is why the game cuts some of your platforming jumps short.  Bones of Eao turn my Bladesinger's Better Control double jump into a Better Control triple jump.

I'll use those things in PvE but not for PvP.  Benefits of the Third Man mask far outweigh Bones of Eao in the Crucible for my Bladesinger, IMO.

Bastards took Tess out of the game?  Damn.  I love the sound of Claudia Black's voice.

I am assuming they will eventually patch the number of jumps.

They have done it with everything else where folks were stacking say like number of grenades or something like that.

I am assuming they will eventually patch the number of jumps.

They have done it with everything else where folks were stacking say like number of grenades or something like that.

I think the intent of the Bones was to add an extra jump to Double Jump, Higher Jump, and Better Control but that really screws over Gunslingers.  Just let them Quad Jump and patch the maps instead of nerfing the boots or the sub-class.

Well we all know that isn't going to happen

I mean they don't let me get extra ammo on Icebreaker when I have anything with the sniper perk. I don't see how they are going to be cool with Gunslingers breaking their maps.

And it's easier to patch the boots than every single map

Well we all know that isn't going to happen

I mean they don't let me get extra ammo on Icebreaker when I have anything with the sniper perk. I don't see how they are going to be cool with Gunslingers breaking their maps.

And it's easier to patch the boots than every single map

Capping the ammo on Icebreaker was bullshit but that weapon is totally broken for PvP since you can literally stay miles away from what you are shooting and never scrounge for ammo.  People complain about Thorn and TLW in PvP, but Icebreaker and the G-Horn make some PvE encounters nearly trivial.

I just find it hard to believe that a game developer would make an item like that without considering the map design of the game world.  No one playtests anything anymore.

I don't think icebreaker is broken. You really don't see it as much anymore to be honest and it's because while it does keep you out of harms way in a lot of cases it makes every encounter take longer when you're relying on it. Winters Run is a great example.

I don't think icebreaker is broken. You really don't see it as much anymore to be honest and it's because while it does keep you out of harms way in a lot of cases it makes every encounter take longer when you're relying on it. Winters Run is a great example.

Unless you have a cake burning in the oven, taking long to complete Nightfalls isn't all that big of a deal.  That's the trade-off for the ability to be totally out of harm's way while dealing damage.

It's not like Nightfalls have mechanisms like the death clocks in Raids or have challenge clocks that guaranteed better loot if you beat a mission under a certain elapsed time.

Icebreaker totally sucks now

6 shots and it takes a month of Sunday's to get your ammo back.

I am sad.

And even that is not so bad since anything short of a Raid boss cannot regen health. Once you damage enemy health, it usually stays damaged.

Ice Breaker used to be my 'go to' Exotic. It was the first exotic i brought from Xur a couple of weeks after i got the game and i used that thing for everything! At one point i had a fully leveled Ice Breaker on each character. But there are much better choices for your Exotic slot once you get a nice collection. I still carry it with me into Nightfalls because it can be a life savor if things go to shit but its no longer the gun that gets left in the exotic slot if i don't need anything specific.

The are adjusting the ammo timer to 8 seconds from 6 in September too. I don't really see the point. 2 extra seconds a shot isn't going to stop people using it who just want to sit back, snipe and solo a Nightfall but i guess it makes it slightly less powerful if PvP is your thing. Though i don't actually recall ever being killed by the thing in the Crucible.

Though i don't actually recall ever being killed by the thing in the Crucible.

Sniping in PvP is a dying artform thanks to the new way that Special spawns.   You will still find the odd headshot artists plunking away from cover on long maps or in Inferno matches but you cannot afford to stare down your scope for too long in normal PvP unless you are on a medium to long range map like Rusted Lands or Pantheon.

Funnily enough - I ran into an entire team of snipers on Shores of Time last night

Of course they also had a Level 4 who was lag switching.

So many reported players...

I used to love to snipe on Shores of Time before the plague of quick scoping pretty much ruined everything.  I can quick scope somewhat effectively but the counter to quick scoping (as you know) is constant movement and I like to run and gun even though I play a Hunter.  One Blink gets me out of the line of fire.

That is why you see so many players on the Bungie boards bitching about Blink since it gives you the ability to cover a lot of ground in a fraction of a second and you are immune to damage as you teleport.  It is also very disorientating.  I have seen players walk around in circles trying to track me when I Blink over their heads and shotgun them in the back as I land on the ground.

I'm a pretty good defensive / offensive Blinker in PvP,  but I can't effectively Blink Shotgun since Dry Rot 32 doesn't have the range of Felwinters or Judgment.

A quiet patch recently nerfed Blink so that it now has a two or three second cooldown.

I still prefer Icebreaker as my exotic for major encounters, even now that I have Gjallarhorn. But I'm not somebody who hides in a corner waiting for the clip to reload. I'm very active during the reload period, either DPSing the boss or clearing adds off my teammates who using their heavy hitters.

Unless you have a cake burning in the oven, taking long to complete Nightfalls isn't all that big of a deal.  That's the trade-off for the ability to be totally out of harm's way while dealing damage.

It's not like Nightfalls have mechanisms like the death clocks in Raids or have challenge clocks that guaranteed better loot if you beat a mission under a certain elapsed time.

Icebreaker totally sucks now

6 shots and it takes a month of Sunday's to get your ammo back.

I am sad.

And even that is not so bad since anything short of a Raid boss cannot regen health. Once you damage enemy health, it usually stays damaged.

For most people the novelty wears off and you realize that's not the most fun/quick/simplest way to complete the task so you switch up the gameplay.  There's nothing all that satisfying to me and I would think a lot of people, to sit back and snipe at the slow rate of Icebreaker when you can just get all up in the action and have more fun and do it quicker and more efficient in the process.  These nightfalls aren't difficult especially when there's a burn on so there's really no reason to sit back where nothing can get you and just snipe with Icebreaker for a long period of time.  I brought up Winter's Run because it's the current nightfall and also because it's really been a long time since I've done that strike where people I was paired up with wanted to just hang back and snipe and it goes back longer than just when they patched the endless wave that spawns when someone stays on top of that rock. 

Also Hobgoblins and Knights regen health. 

For most people the novelty wears off and you realize that's not the most fun/quick/simplest way to complete the task so you switch up the gameplay.  There's nothing all that satisfying to me and I would think a lot of people, to sit back and snipe at the slow rate of Icebreaker when you can just get all up in the action and have more fun and do it quicker and more efficient in the process.  These nightfalls aren't difficult especially when there's a burn on so there's really no reason to sit back where nothing can get you and just snipe with Icebreaker for a long period of time.  I brought up Winter's Run because it's the current nightfall and also because it's really been a long time since I've done that strike where people I was paired up with wanted to just hang back and snipe and it goes back longer than just when they patched the endless wave that spawns when someone stays on top of that rock. 

Also Hobgoblins and Knights regen health. 

Players are creatures of habit and there is no real reason to deviate from what works when the loot doesn't nearly shake out to the risk.  There is no incentive to challenge your gameplay in Nightfalls since the penalty for a party wipe is starting from the beginning and that is more time consuming than cheesing enemies with Icebreaker. 

I find PvE to be a chore because of stuff like that, which is why I find PvP to be far more satisfying.  The only thing that PvE provides me is the XP needed to level up my weapons and boost my faction rankings.  I never really cared too much about Raids or Strikes because the gear really doesn't help you in normal Crucible.  You will routinely find 33s and 34s at the bottom of the killer list.

The only reason I suddenly give a crap about beating Skolas is because his encounter is the last node to fill on my Triumph matrix, so I may as well try to kack him for the Year One emblem.

Hobgoblins and Knights regen health but they are hardly the most threatening enemies on the field.  Their ability to heal does not sway momentum in PvE.  A boss being able to totally recapture his health can be an encounter breaker.

I got a second Etheric Light node from the Nightfall yesterday.  I am saving one for the firs Arc Damage primary I get in a Raid in the hope of shoving the barrel of the gun into Skolas's earhole before the deadline.

I got a second Etheric Light node from the Nightfall yesterday.  I am saving one for the firs Arc Damage primary I get in a Raid in the hope of shoving the barrel of the gun into Skolas's earhole before the deadline.

Crota's End hard mode is really the best way to go for your Arc needs. Fatebringer has to contend with 3 pieces of armor, 2 other guns, shards and energies. All the Fang is up against is Word of Crota, the helm, shards and energies. I know its not an exact science but i'll take a quick run through of Crota for a 1 in 5 chance than an hour+ in the Vault for a 1 in 8 chance. I think I've had the fang drop in double digits now. Its all it ever gives me. Word on the other hand, 4 in 21 runs. Pray you don't have my Word drop rates for your Fang! I've also only ever got 2 Fatebringers.

And i know Fatebringer gets all the love but i prefer the range the Fang gives you over Fatebringer for the Skolas fight.

I have a feeling that I ever manage to hook it up with Skolas, I'll be using Oversoul or Fang.

The last CE raid I was on didn't feel nearly as drawn out as the VoG raids I've been on and as you say, the drop rate for Fang and Oversoul seems a lot better than it does for Fatebrigner.

I've got 18 Ascendant Energies and an Etheric Light in the bank to fully upgrade Found Verdict or Fatebringer if they drop in VoG and I have 5 Radiant Energies, an Etheric Light, and a 331 Abyss Defiant I can break down to fully upgrade a Fang or an Oversoul Edict I get from a CE raid. 

I've got a G-Horn on my main toon and Thunderlord on my Warlock so I am good on shit kicking Exotic heavy weapons.

I probably won't have a full set of Variks armor to work with but if the Skolas encounter has gift stips, then I won't have to.  We'll have to see what happens.

Hell if you've got all the mats you need to upgrade the weapons when you get it and want to save time just jump on an LFG and join in at the Crota Fight.

My advice for Skolas gear. Any Fallen themed PoE armor is obviously preferred. I have a complete set now but I've never actually done a 35 with a full set of Fallen perk armor. Weapons are going to come down to personal preference and depend on what your teams strategy is but i always rock an ascended Fang, Found Verdict and Gjallarhorn.

Players are creatures of habit and there is no real reason to deviate from what works when the loot doesn't nearly shake out to the risk.  There is no incentive to challenge your gameplay in Nightfalls since the penalty for a party wipe is starting from the beginning and that is more time consuming than cheesing enemies with Icebreaker. 

I find PvE to be a chore because of stuff like that, which is why I find PvP to be far more satisfying.  The only thing that PvE provides me is the XP needed to level up my weapons and boost my faction rankings.  I never really cared too much about Raids or Strikes because the gear really doesn't help you in normal Crucible.  You will routinely find 33s and 34s at the bottom of the killer list

You have too much respect for those PvE tasks.   

You should do some trials man.  The normal light 36 Osiris gear just random drops whether you win or lose and you can tailor that stuff to specific play types.  And the light 42 Osiris gear you get as rewards is really good.   

Personally I like to use raid gear in regular crucible because my entire special weapons class has increased reload speed and increased ammo and increased melee attack speed with raid gauntlets and chest piece.  So when I swap from shotgunning to sniping or vice versa, I'm still benefitting from the armor. 

I'd love to do more Trials and I think that a fireteam of me, Mis, Rippa, or other members of our coalition could give other teams fits, but not being at my place with decent internets is an issue.  I live in Maryland but work in Virginia so I am at my folk's place during the week and to say that they have sketchy internet is an understatement.

Also I don't need the grief of dealing with DDoSers in ToO as controller modding and lag riding is slowly becoming a regular thing.

Damn.  I am probably going to end up getting TTK for 360 after all since I really want my Superblack VIP rewards ASAP and it will be cheaper for me to get TTK for 360 than to get an XBone and another copy of Destiny and TTK.