DVDVR Message Board

YOUR 2014 Omnibus Festival Thread

Casey

That's why you gotta push forward for a show you want to see! It took me 4 hours to get front row and to the left for Kanye, ended up missing Neutral Milk Hotel. But it was worth it. I just wish I would have left Jack White earlier to get a good spot for Frank Ocean, damnit.

My personal streak of never going to a Sunday of Bonnaroo continued this year - it seems like they always have the bands I care nothing about on that day, which is fine. I rage from Thursday to Saturday pretty hard, anyway.

(ALSO: Ty Segall is the new King of Bonnaroo.)

That's why you gotta push forward for a show you want to see! It took me 4 hours to get front row and to the left for Kanye, ended up missing Neutral Milk Hotel. But it was worth it. I just wish I would have left Jack White earlier to get a good spot for Frank Ocean, damnit.

My personal streak of never going to a Sunday of Bonnaroo continued this year - it seems like they always have the bands I care nothing about on that day, which is fine. I rage from Thursday to Saturday pretty hard, anyway.

(ALSO: Ty Segall is the new King of Bonnaroo.)

Saturday felt pretty dead for me schedule wise until Jack White. Sunday actually would have been a fun day to traverse as there was a good bit to see. I watched the stream of the Avetts set, which was really good, and I would have totally skipped it if I had gone to Roo in favor of Amos Lee who also killed it with his set.

Yeah, I have mastered getting close at the big stages. Especially, if I am by myself. In the tents, I have been able to push forward but only so far.

Usually, I end up right under the awning and cannot see much. I am only 5'10", so I am inevitably going to be blocked by a long line of people taller than me.

We are determined to go back next year.

I actually don't know if I'm going to go next year. This was my 7th year, and I can't think of a better way to cap off my Bonnaroo adventures (for now, anyway) than an awesome headlining set by Kanye and a ton of good bands on the undercard. I might try for something a tad smaller next year, like Pitchfork.

It looks as if I'm in the minority when it comes to Jack White and his set, because I wasn't all that impressed. Then again, A LOT of people didn't like Kanye's set, but I've found those that didn't like it were in the back of the crowd. Which is understandable, because they couldn't see dick. I didn't even think about the side screens being off and how that would effect the rest of the crowd that weren't lucky enough to be so close. I, personally, had the time of my goddamn life.

I actually don't know if I'm going to go next year. This was my 7th year, and I can't think of a better way to cap off my Bonnaroo adventures (for now, anyway) than an awesome headlining set by Kanye and a ton of good bands on the undercard. I might try for something a tad smaller next year, like Pitchfork.

It looks as if I'm in the minority when it comes to Jack White and his set, because I wasn't all that impressed. Then again, A LOT of people didn't like Kanye's set, but I've found those that didn't like it were in the back of the crowd. Which is understandable, because they couldn't see dick. I didn't even think about the side screens being off and how that would effect the rest of the crowd that weren't lucky enough to be so close. I, personally, had the time of my goddamn life.

We are considering Voodoo this year, but after hotel costs that might not be a great idea, and I hear the Voodoo vibe is just not great. Plus, New Orleans is an expensive wasteland for Halloween.

I think we will do Music Midtown. It's $100 for two days and the lineup is usually enough to justify the cost.

You should try FunFunFunFest in Texas. Great line up every year, and there's always wrestling shows at the festival too.

Fun, fun, Fun is on my to do list, but I would rather make the trek to Austin for ACL if I did anything this year.

Austin is a good 13ish hour drive for me as well. When you're traveling with two, it's cheaper to drive that.

My Bonnabuddy is from San Antonio, so he goes to FFF and ACL every year. I've heard nothing but good things about either of them, but FFF has the smaller acts that I like to see more than the bigger names. By the time ACL rolls around every year, their headliners have already been to most other festivals.

It looks as if I'm in the minority when it comes to Jack White and his set, because I wasn't all that impressed.

Here is the thing about that Jack White set... I'm honestly surprised so many of the casual Jack fans I went with were raving about it. Chalk it up to stage presence I guess, but as someone who has seen Jack a bunch of times it's hard for me to wrap my head around it.

I've seen countless hours of his live stuff on Youtube on top of my own personal concert experiences and I've NEVER seen him do anything like this years What stage set. He has always been the type of musician who will never play a song the same way twice, but he was straight up deconstructing his discography this year. For example, he ran through about 3 verses of Ball and Biscuit and only one of them is on the album. He ad libbed and improved his way through about 40% of his material. He evened warped the beginning of the most recognizable riff on the planet! As a super fan who has seen it all, I was fucking reeling.

I'm assuming you left before the encore? He cut down on the talking and belted out 10 songs. Including stuff he hasn't played live in about 5 years. Fucking ASTRO, man!

It felt like a set built specifically for the fanboys like me, yet people who were more or less just waiting for Seven Nation Army seemed just as into it. So bizarre.

My Bonnabuddy is from San Antonio, so he goes to FFF and ACL every year. I've heard nothing but good things about either of them, but FFF has the smaller acts that I like to see more than the bigger names. By the time ACL rolls around every year, their headliners have already been to most other festivals.

ACL and Lolla are only appealing to me on years like this where I wouldn't go to roo.

I've come to accept the Tent shows for what they are.  Leaving your friends and just going for it is the only way to get where you want to be.  

My biggest issue, though, was the EDM bumping from that light stand thing?  It was directly to the left of Frank Ocean's show, and because I made it there so late, it was too damn crowded to move over to the other side.  Competing sounds is rough when you're trying to listen to a guy like Frank.

ACL and Lolla are only appealing to me on years like this where I wouldn't go to roo.

Fuck Lolla, man.  Not worth it.  It will make the Bonnaroo thirst even worse somehow.

Every year I say I'm not going back - for whatever reason - but I always do. I've never been to another festival but I can't picture one NOT being like Bonnaroo. It's different somehow.

And yeah, I did leave Jack White early. I think right after Steady As She Goes. I should have left earlier, to be honest. It wasn't bad, nowhere close actually, but it just wasn't up to par with acts in the past. That's my opinion, though. I'm sure the rest was top notch, because it's Jack White, but I don't know. I just couldn't buy into it, I guess.

I downloaded what is supposedly soundboard audio for Jack White. However, I have a feeling it's the stream that someone is claiming to be soundboard.

I cannot wait to hear it again.

I'm very casual into White, but I really enjoyed the energy of his set. I will say you felt a little exhausted through the mid-way point but really recovered towards the end.

Eminem seems to really suck at festivals, I hope this is better than his Bonnaroo appearance. I would go, Atlanta isn't terribly far away, but the headliners do nothing for me, and I'm already seeing Lorde at the Grand Ol' Opry.

Eminem seems to really suck at festivals, I hope this is better than his Bonnaroo appearance. I would go, Atlanta isn't terribly far away, but the headliners do nothing for me, and I'm already seeing Lorde at the Grand Ol' Opry.

Yeah, Eminem is just a more interesting show 14 years ago.

I haven't heard a review of any of his recent shows to suggest that he brings any energy to them. Plus, live rap without a backing band just rarely works.

I haven't seen Jack White yet, so that's reason for me to go, but I am pissed he lost a headlining slot to Zac Brown.

I am also in the minority who wants to see John Mayer live. Although, I probably would have preferred it more during the John Mayer Trio/Continuum stuff. His last two or three albums have not done much for me.

I think he is going to retour with the Trio within the next year.

Other than that, Lorde and Fitz & the Tantrums are the only things that interest me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So, btw, The Offspring playing Smash all the way through?  Fucking awesome.

Seeing Bad Religion live on the 20th anniversary of the release of Stranger than Fiction?  Also fucking awesome.

Rise Against live?  Really fucking great.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the greatest parts of FunFunFun Fest is that they do 4 nights worth of FREE "Nites" shows for passholders. This includes bands already playing the festival, as well as bands brought in just for the Nites and a lot of local bands. It's another reason it's the best fest!

Here's this years list of Nites bands:http://funfunfunfest.com/nites

• 2 months later...

Some rumored acts for Bonnaroo 2015. Most of them are what people think to be the answers to the Roo Clues, some are there because of tour dates, what band members have said to people on Twitter, etc.

• Makonnen
  • Mac DeMarco
  • Caribou
  • RL Grime
  • Refused
  • Strand of Oaks
  • Glass Animals
  • Alabama Shakes
  • Houndmouth
  • Bleachers
  • Reverend Horton Heat
  • Trampled By Turtles
  • Flume
  • The War On Drugs
  • Death Cab For Cutie

And yes, Chaos, you're most likely looking at ???/Drake/My Morning Jacket as the headliners. :P

Some rumored acts for Bonnaroo 2015. Most of them are what people think to be the answers to the Roo Clues, some are there because of tour dates, what band members have said to people on Twitter, etc.

• Makonnen
  • Mac DeMarco
  • Caribou
  • RL Grime
  • Refused
  • Strand of Oaks
  • Glass Animals
  • Alabama Shakes
  • Houndmouth
  • Bleachers
  • Reverend Horton Heat
  • Trampled By Turtles
  • Flume
  • The War On Drugs
  • Death Cab For Cutie

And yes, Chaos, you're most likely looking at ???/Drake/My Morning Jacket as the headliners. :P

You left off Between the Buried and Me as essentially confirmed as well. That will be a kick ass late night set if they stash all of the metal on one tent away to late night like they did last year.

One place I saw said Mumford/Arcade Fire/Drake as your headliners.  That's just a lot of BLAH to me.  I do want to see Arcade Fire again, but I want something a little more exciting. I am guessing Bassnectar is your EDM headliner since he has not played since 2011.

Some people are thinking No Doubt could be a headliner as well, which put me in the camp that would not be terribly excited by that one.

I still think we get a jam band for Sunday headliner. That hasn't happened since 2012 and Widespread is due for a return to the farm.

Also, Dark Side of the Mule late night sounds like a great time as well.

Of the semi-confirmed stuff, the only act that really interests me is DCFC and that's because I have yet to see them. I'm possibly seeing TBT at the Ryman, and I hear Houndmouth is really solid live.

I will say that there is a strong part of me that is leaning towards doing LOCKN this year instead.

Robert Plant, and Belle & Sebastian are rumored. The headliners might suck, but I'll be damned if the undercard isn't shaping up nicely.

I think I'll always consider Bonnaroo over any other festival because of the (lack of) distance from me to the festival grounds.

Robert Plant, and Belle & Sebastian are rumored. The headliners might suck, but I'll be damned if the undercard isn't shaping up nicely.

I think I'll always consider Bonnaroo over any other festival because of the (lack of) distance from me to the festival grounds.

Given that I am a huge Zeppelin fan and my first year on the farm was after Plant had played last, Plant being there this year is very enticing. I want to see the Golden God perform at least once before he hangs it up.

Right now, my funds have been going to just shows within my 3-4 hour radius of Dothan. I have tix to Wilco in Tallahassee, FL. I am probably seeing St. Paul and the Broken Bones next month, and I intend to do Umphrey's McGee and Trampled By Turtles at the Mother church the weekend prior to my B-day.

I also will probably see one of The Decemberist's two night run at the Tabernacle in April.