DVDVR Message Board

YOUR 2014 Omnibus Festival Thread

Casey

Muse has been rumored for many of the major festivals the last few years. I'm excited to see what Roo dials up this year even though I can't really afford it. I'm trying to see if I know anyone with connections at AC/Superfly and/or may wait and see if I can snag bands that people are trying to dump off for like $100.

Roo has a tough act to follow with the magic of Macca and Rock 'N Soul Superjam

• Like 1

OutKast is playing the Governor's Ball in NYC the weekend before Bonnaroo, so there's a really good chance we'll be getting OutKast. Before that was announced, though. I was thinking Bruce Springsteen - MUSE - My Morning Jacket for the top 3. I mean, it could still easily be Bruce/OutKast/MMJ, though. Either way, I think this is the year that I do Coachella (friends in Cali), and also Bonnaroo (live too close not to go every year). The undercard acts on each lineup should be different enough that I won't see too much overlap in acts I see at both festivals.

But, yeah, I definitely agree with you Chaos. 'Roo has their work cut out for them in following up last year's Macca headliner. I think the one-two punch of a name like Bruce and a band like OutKast reunited (and playing in the dirrrrty South) will be enough, though.

I get that music is subjective and all that, but lord do I not get OutKast. Like, when the one guy on grantland was saying, during the songs tourney, that peyote who dislike Hey Ya! made a conscious choice to I was baffled. First time I ever heard the song I was appalled and said something too the effect of "holy shit this is fucking terrible." I just don't get it.

with Goodie Mob, no less. Can't go wrong. Anything post-Stankonia I don't really dig, just select songs from Speakerboxx/The Love Below & Idlewild. Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik is where it's at. The remix of "Pink Matter" by Frank Ocean is awesome, btw.

• Like 1

I get that music is subjective and all that, but lord do I not get OutKast. Like, when the one guy on grantland was saying, during the songs tourney, that peyote who dislike Hey Ya! made a conscious choice to I was baffled. First time I ever heard the song I was appalled and said something too the effect of "holy shit this is fucking terrible." I just don't get it.

If you judge Outkast by "Hey Ya" you are really missing out on one of the best acts in music over the last 20 years.  I'd say that their first four albums hold up to just about anyone's in the history of music.  Their first album is a really good traditional southern hip hop album, which they could probably do in their sleep.  ATLiens is probably their most underrated album, but it made it clear that these guys were about pushing the limits to what hip-hop could be.  Their third and probably best album Aquemeni took the experimental parts of ATLiens and turned it up to 10 and it is basically what happens when two artists at the top of their powers are given complete artistic freedom.  Stankonia is the worst of the four in my opinion, but I'd still give it 4.5 mics on the old Source scale.  It has some slight missteps, but B.O.B. is probably the culmination of everything they did before.  There have been a lot of really good rap groups, but for my money Outkast is absolutely #1.  No one has ever been able to be so good at all aspects of hip hop while pushing the limits of the genre and constantly reinventing themselves.  They are just such a natural combination of cool, weird, and fun.  Here is a quote from Big Boi about their approach to making music, "Everybody's been doing music like they all have the same formula — e=mc2. They get a beat, an MC, somebody to sing the hook, and go platinum. Where's music going to go when everybody's trapped in this same repetitious flow?" Here is a short playlist to show just how varied their catalog is(This is just the first singles from their first four albums). 

POWER MUSIC ELECTRIC REVIVAL

• Like 1

Oh god is that that fucking bombs over Baghdad song? Ugh.

I will spin the others later, but Christ, you just reminded me of another reason I hated them.

I think it is safe to say that the two of us could never hang out. 

• Like 3