DVDVR Message Board

Ryback/Punk Nonsense

Craig H

Kicking out of five top-rope elbows drives me crazy too. Warrior was Davey Richards before Davey was Davey.

You can get away with overdoing something when you're on the biggest show of the year. You can't when you're at rec centers in front of 150 fans.

Plus is was a Retirement Match when Retirement matches meant something on a PPV when PPV happened only every 3-4 months. More importantly Warrior is a Real Life Super Hero and Richards is a Benoit wanna be

I liked Warrior using the one foot to pin Savage. Showed me that he had to almost kill the man to finally beat him. Like that as a finish much more than the "we are both so tired, I shall defeat you by draping an arm over you" finish.

Creative never knew what they were doing with Ryback. He got tossed into the Punk feud because of injury, and once The Shield started attacking him, he never got revenge on them, lost at Mania to Henry, and then an uninspired heel turn takes place the next night. He could be in a much better spot than he is right now, but he's going to be nothing more than a muscular afterthought.

I think my favorite part of Savage/Warrior is the actual finish. I have no problems with Warrior kicking out of 5 elbow drops because like everyone else said, it was a retirement match so who cares if it devalued Savage's finisher AND it's THE ULTIMATE WARRIOR! He's not a mortal man like you or I. If there's someone who could kick out of 5 elbow drops, it's Kratos and the Ultimate Warrior.

But the actual finish, not with a gorilla press and a big splash, but the repeated flying shoulder tackles. Two mentally and physically drained warriors (pun intended) with one of them having just a little more left and just imposing his will, knowing this is it, just tremendous. Totally unique and unexpected but over the years I've grown to love it.

And you confusingly keep blaming Warrior for it.

Please demonstrate to me where that happened.

I fell asleep and forgot this.

Kicking out of five top-rope elbows drives me crazy too. Warrior was Davey Richards before Davey was Davey.

You think Davey's opponents don't know when he's gonna kick out of something???

I don't care whose idea it was, I don't like the spot.

It was awesome in that match that Warrior kicked out, and I say that as a massive Savage fan. Five elbows can't go against the Warrior's gods, you silly mortal! 

That whole match/angle is my favorite WM match/angle ever. I am a sucker for any match/angle that gets people in the crowd to show genuine emotion. This is why I would categorize that MVP/Matt Hardy feud from like eight or nine years ago as one of the most underrated feuds in WWE history.