• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2024 at 8:13 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Well...

Tyson Fury Suffers Cut in Sparring, Oleksandr Usyk Fight Postponed

On 2/3/2024 at 4:42 PM, waffle said:

Got rescheduled to May 18. 

GODDAMMIT!

sorry, i'm just hearing this news for the first time today.  in better news, that's a pretty rad commercial for the fight.

Edited by twiztor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All respect to the legend that is Mike Tyson but I am assuming this will be an exhibition fight with big ol head pads as he's 57 and clearly doesn't have the quickness/strength of Paul anymore. I know we all enjoy clowning Paul and its fun to do but he's been professionally training full time for years at this point, I don't want to see Tyson unconscious on the mat. Hopefully its all a joke.

I mean he fought Anderson Silva. Why would this considered a joke? Jake will say he wants Canelo but if Canelo had a grandpa, he would rather fight him instead.

People have to understand (especially after the Amanda Serrano debacle this past weekend when they had sold out the arena) is that Jake has to somehow figure out a way subsidize this little venture. He can fight no namers and cab drivers like he did last Saturday and has been doing, but he's never going to make money that way. He knows he has limitations but he has to find names big enough to justify this otherwise he will lose money fighting and promoting himself. Solution? Fight old guys who use to be stars. In actuality, that's always been a boxing promotion strategy and has worked on multiple occasions. However, that's a different era when PPV revenue was at an all time high. I am not sure how much these guys are getting to stream fights when the pie is somehow divided up even more.

8 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I mean he fought Anderson Silva. Why would this considered a joke? Jake will say he wants Canelo but if Canelo had a grandpa, he would rather fight him instead.

I meant a joke on Tyson's end, not Paul's end. Paul's motivations are very clear. If Tyson needs money he could have done the Holyfield fight a couple years ago or box Oscar De La Hoya or something.

5 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I meant a joke on Tyson's end, not Paul's end. Paul's motivations are very clear. If Tyson needs money he could have done the Holyfield fight a couple years ago or box Oscar De La Hoya or something.

I don't think it's a joke on Mike's end either. I also don't think the interest would be there for any other old man super fight. Holyfield got KO'd by Vitor Belfort. Oscar has been saying he's going to come back for 15 years. It's never happened cause it's always been a bluff. That last time we saw him in a ring, he got demolished by a man 20 pounds lighter than him. He ain't fighting Mike Tyson. Paul's camp likely came up with money he couldn't turn down. 

1 hour ago, waffle said:

I'm really curious on how this will do gate wise. AT&T Stadium for this is wild. 

It's going to test how big a name of Jake Paul is. Thing is though...imo I don't the curiosity factor is such that it does 75k+. Could it get to half capacity? Yes, but that would be based on people wanted to see a geriatric Mike Tyson rip his head off. I will say that coming off the RJJ fight, he did put some intrigue in another Tyson fight. Granted that was right smack dab in the middle of the pandemic.