DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News 2024

Elsalvajeloco

I thought it would go a few rounds (picks contest I believe I even went up to 7) but yes, that's how I thought it would end. People don't understand how much Fury was out of shape and HAS been out of shape. And old. Joshua, even though he's been Jekyll and Hyde especially in terms of temperament, is way, way, way more consistent. When he's on, he's on.  Plus, fundamentally, AJ is the class of heavyweight boxing at the moment. If not 1, he's a close #2.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I follow Mike Tyson casually and I’ve learned about this Jake Paul guy because he’s out there enough at this point. I don’t really follow and kind of fighting. Mike Tyson is doing 1 thing right this time that he’s never done before. That thing is saying all the right things. A wrestler couldn’t do a better promo than all of his lately, down to naming the time and place.

That obviously doesn’t mean he’s ready for any kind of fight. I wouldn’t fight Mike Tyson at any age if he’s ready for a fight, and I don’t mean physically. Mike Tyson has to be ready for a fight like, say, a fat drunk redneck has to be. Most of the time a fat drunk redneck is an overrated pushover, but when you walk up to one and spit on him and call his mama a whore he becomes something else that can fight. I just don’t see that in Mike Tyson. If that was ever summoned in Mike Tyson again it wouldn’t be a fight IMO, it would be a massacre.

Mike, historically, has always historically fought the same way. I don't think it was ever an issue of motivation. Whether you trash talked him, he fought the same. Whether it was very little going on in terms of hype, he fought the same. When he had Kevin Rooney on his way to winning a world title and the early days as champ, he fought pretty much the same. When he had Aaron Snowell and Jay Bright shortly after that, it was pretty much the same. When he had a revolving door of notable trainers from Stacy McKinley to Richie Giachetti to Tommy Brooks in the twilight of his career, he fought pretty much the same. It was an issue of the other guy being more skilled than him and never really refining his game as the eras changed. When you're a 5'9 1/2" heavyweight (and a yolked up one at that) with giants in there and some are able to deal with what you're able to do, it's just a whole different ballgame. It's been 40 years since Mike Tyson first came around and you notice there hasn't been another guy with the same dimensions as heavyweight champion. Not even close to one. Tua fought Lennox Lewis, got soundily outboxed for 12 rounds, and that was a quarter century ago.

This right here though is pretty much entirely different cause Tyson was done truly as a top fighter in the same timeframe. He just kept it together long enough to finally get the Lewis fight. What Jake Paul is doing is taking enough risk to make this a slightly intriguing fight cause honestly, Jake himself is basically a six round club fighter. That's not bad considering he was never an amateur boxer and basically walked off the street to do this. However, when that's your level, there is no guarantee that you're just going to beat anyone except folks who were never above your level to begin with. He runs the gamut of looking okay to fairly amateurish to being totally above his station. That lack of consistency basically shows he's not a natural boxer same as we saw with Ngannou recently. Nothing beats real, legit experience at a high level. So it's basically can a guy who was elite a long, long time ago beat someone who is a boxer but not actually a boxer or vice versa? That's all it is. Do I expect Paul to KO Mike Tyson? I mean he wasn't knocking out a washed up Anderson Silva. He does the same thing every fight pretty much. There is absolutely no variety in what he does. That's why Paul cannot elevate above the level of picking random opponents. Not that there is bunch of quality of light heavyweight contenders out there, but he would get absolutely housed by a Joe Smith Jr. or a Joshua Buatsi and those guys aren't world beaters. IMO I have more questions about Jake Paul than Mike. I know what a washed up Mike Tyson looks like. I am not sure if define what Jake Paul is as a boxer other than guy who is able to do something he probably shouldn't be doing. That's it. Should he be the favorite? Probably but that's only based on youth. I dunno what to expect really.

• Like 1

I would disagree that he always fought the same way. His defensive movement was significantly more active and generally better when he was young and there was a point he just either couldn't keep it up at that pace or got lazy. The guy that got caved in for 7 rounds by Lewis was a shell of the guy he was years earlier. His feet might as well have been glued in place by then.

On 4/12/2024 at 2:58 AM, Death From Above said:

I would disagree that he always fought the same way. His defensive movement was significantly more active and generally better when he was young and there was a point he just either couldn't keep it up at that pace or got lazy. The guy that got caved in for 7 rounds by Lewis was a shell of the guy he was years earlier. His feet might as well have been glued in place by then.

I was talking in terms of his aggression. Yes, when he was younger, defensively he was much better than post prison Mike Tyson. However, BloodyChamp's point was that he wouldn't be motivated like he should be and that it would take smack talk to get him ignited. Whether it was something heated like the Razor Ruddock fights or whether it something where there was no trash talk and it was extremely professional, Mike was coming to fuck you up. It was never a question of motivation. I think by the time he was 30, that style that mystified and terrorized everyone and was so scary hadn't been refined or adjusted to a new era of boxing. That goes especially if you no longer have the legs you use to have. The Tyson that fought Bruno in 1989 was much different than the one in 1996 that fought Bruno again. Bruno hurt Mike in the first fight, Mike recovered, and then absolutely pummeled Bruno. After prison, Mike was trying do much of the same thing but giving you way less movement and feints. So when he fought Holyfield, who was use to taking inhumane levels of punishment by that time, he was tremendously predictable. When he fought Botha coming off the layoff, Botha was giving him trouble just by dancing around. Mike lands one massive punch and it was over. It was a Wilder thing where I am just going to wait for a 5 second opening where you make a bad mistake or have a defensive lapse and just dedicate myself to landing one good volley. His stamina was pretty much gone.

• Like 1

Garcia/Haney sounds a wild fight reading/listening to coverage. Garcia wins the majority decision with three knockdowns but Garcia doesn't win the title as he missed weight. Haney loses his unbeaten record.

Edited by The Natural

10 hours ago, waffle said:

What a fight. Garcia delivered, and is probably one of the biggest PPV stars in the game rn. He said he's moving up to 147 at the presser. 

Moving to welterweight is probably the smartest move physically, but I think he would had a much easier time adding to his resume he could have made 135 and 140. That and most of the young name are in those divisions.