DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2023 - WEEK THREE

EVA

As much as people complain about the competitive nature (or lack thereof) in those types of P5 vs. Low-G5/non-FBS games, the way those game filter significant sums of money from the top of the sport down to the lower levels is actually vital to the CFB ecosystem, and it would be terrible for the overall health of the sport if they went away. Lots of small programs would fold without being able to collect a big check for doing a homecoming job. The SEC’s infamous “SoCon Saturday” in late November is like Christmas Day for those schools.

• Like 3

It appears Tyler Buchner is getting the start for Bama tomorrow. He probably should’ve gotten a chance in the 2nd half vs. Texas. Interested to see what he does with the opportunity. Likely fewer spectacular plays but also not nearly as many boneheaded ones.

I think the result I’m most interested in this weekend is the rating for the Colorado game. If they pull 4 million for a G5 opponent at a 10pm eastern kick, I don’t think anyone is qualified to estimate the top for their games against Oregon and USC the next two weeks.

2 minutes ago, EVA said:

I didn’t include FSU @ BC in my ranked team on the road upset list, and yet…here they are, hanging on to a 2-point lead late in the 4th.

Yeah did the Seminoles forget that there's a fourth quarter?

Also Kansas State/Missouri...

So this Alabama/South Florida game reminds me of when I worked as a camera operator for the University of Richmond in 2005. They seem to only have a two camera setup and neither camera is overly useful. Not sure if the lightening knocked out cameras or South Florida doesn't have the budget for more than two cameras.

flashback to the end of Mizzou/K-State:

timeout to ice the kicker, I wonder "why would you need to ice a guy trying to kick a 61 yard field goal"... then he makes the kick easily

there was one miss in Dawgs/Cocks (Georgia/SC) that was one of those "hey why do top programs still struggle with field goal kicking" moments. Yeah there's a few solid theories in play

Edited by Cobra Commander

6 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

So this Alabama/South Florida game reminds me of when I worked as a camera operator for the University of Richmond in 2005. They seem to only have a two camera setup and neither camera is overly useful. Not sure if the lightening knocked out cameras or South Florida doesn't have the budget for more than two cameras.

they had a camera shot from the top of the stadium and you needed binoculars to see the punt on TV.  

The Colorado St coach really isn’t doing anything Deion hasn’t done IMO. He’s just talking shit because nothing else is going to work. This won’t work either, but it’s hardly anything personal like they’re selling it. 

My Seminoles will be ok but we were incredibly stupid today. We tried to hard, going all the way back to our practice week, to reach a certain plateau that every national contender reaches. That plateau was treating a losable game like a “takin care a bidness game.” They repeated the phrase around here all week like the game didn’t even matter, but also like they were taking it sooooo seriously. We’re good…but we’re not 90s Seminoles good where conference opponents are meaningless games where we can have false modesty. 

So then came the game finally. They scored, we responded, got it together at halftime, then it was 31-10. That game should have been over right there. We should have ran it out and been done with it. Instead we kept trying for a knockout and fooled around and let them back into it. Then on defense that quarterback wasn’t that good. We just kept going for the knockout there too. We flew in for all these big hits and missed instead of wrapping up. 

Edited by BloodyChamp