DVDVR Message Board

Which of these movies belongs in the 2023 Summer Blockbuster Pool?

S.K.o.S.

Which of these movies should be in the 2023 Summer Blockbuster Pool?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these movies should be in the 2023 Summer Blockbuster Pool?

• Love Again (Comedy/Drama/Romance; Priyanka Chopra Jonas, Sam Heughan; May 5)
    • Book Club: The Next Chapter (Comedy; Jane Fonda, Diane Keaton; May 12)
    • Kandahar (Action Thriller; Gerard Butler, Ali Fazal; May 26)
    • Strays (Adventure/Animation/Comedy; Will Ferrell, Jamie Foxx; Jun 9)
    • The Blackening (Comedy/Horror/Thriller; Grace Byers, Jermaine Fowler; Jun 16)
    • No Hard Feelings (Comedy; Jennifer Lawrence, Andrew Barth Feldman; Jun 23)
    • Joy Ride (Comedy; Ashley Park, Sherry Cola; Jul 7)
    • Back on the Strip (Comedy; Spence Moore II, Tiffany Haddish; Aug 18)

If you're new here, we used to run this pool where I put up a list of 20 movies coming out this summer, and people rank them based on predicted box office take and critical reception. Then the pandemic happened. But thanks to prodding from @RIPPA and @The Natural, the pool is making its return this year!

In the past, I missed putting some movies on the list that should've been there (e.g. Bridesmaids) and put some movies on the list that should not have been there (e.g. My Life In Ruins). So, for the past few years, the selection of the borderline movies has been up to you.

I already have 19 movies selected.  I'm looking to fill the last spot.  The top vote-getter in this poll will be included in this year's pool.

You basically want to vote for the movie that you think will end up having the most people talking about it.  Like, the kind of movie that if it wasn't on the list, we'd be thinking "Oh man, how did we miss that one?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, S.K.o.S. said:

If you're new here, we used to run this pool where I put up a list of 20 movies coming out this summer, and people rank them based on predicted box office take and critical reception. Then the pandemic happened. But thanks to prodding from @RIPPA and @The Natural, the pool is making its return this year!

In the past, I missed putting some movies on the list that should've been there (e.g. Bridesmaids) and put some movies on the list that should not have been there (e.g. My Life In Ruins). So, for the past few years, the selection of the borderline movies has been up to you.

I already have 19 movies selected.  I'm looking to fill the last spot.  The top vote-getter in this poll will be included in this year's pool.

You basically want to vote for the movie that you think will end up having the most people talking about it.  Like, the kind of movie that if it wasn't on the list, we'd be thinking "Oh man, how did we miss that one?"

One of the best board traditions is back. Thanks for running this again. Pretty sure I'm the only posted to take part in every edition since the first way back in 2008. I went with Strays as it has Will Ferrell/Jamie Foxx even though I feel it could be a ballot fucker.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

We need a trailer thread for this.

So, I absolutely don't trust the board to embed 8 YouTube videos, but here are links to all the trailers:

Love Again
Book Club: The Next Chapter
Kandahar
Strays
The Blackening
No Hard Feelings
Joy Ride
Back on the Strip

Lots of them are NSFW due to language.

• Like 1