DVDVR Message Board

2023 Live Music

Chaos

• 3 weeks later...

Took little man to Kiss this past Saturday in Indy. Didn't realize until a couple hours before the show that they'd had to cancel three shows previously due to Paul Stanley having the flu.

I'm not really a huge fan of their music, but damn do they put on a show. I am glad I got to see them before they (supposedly) stop touring.

I don't think if there's a dollar to be made and he's physically able, Gene Simmons, personally, will ever stop touring. It may end up being "Gene Simmons playing the songs of Kiss". This smells to me of Ozzy doing "No More Tours" and then he just doesn't stop and we ended up with Ozzfest and Black Sabbath reuniting for the umpteenth time. He may be 74 but the Stones are 80 and still out there, and Willie Nelson just recorded two albums at 90. His ego probably wouldn't let them beat him to retirement either. 

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I don't think if there's a dollar to be made and he's physically able, Gene Simmons, personally, will ever stop touring. It may end up being "Gene Simmons playing the songs of Kiss". This smells to me of Ozzy doing "No More Tours" and then he just doesn't stop and we ended up with Ozzfest and Black Sabbath reuniting for the umpteenth time. He may be 74 but the Stones are 80 and still out there, and Willie Nelson just recorded two albums at 90. His ego probably wouldn't let them beat him to retirement either. 

Yeah, this may be the end of "KISS" touring, but I will be surprised if there's not some "Gene Simmons Does the Songs of Kiss" tour or like one of the other non-Stanley/Simmons members touring with some musicians and doing Kiss songs.

Well, they might not be playing Music from The Elder, but you know 😛 

Anyway, speaking of live music. This could probably go in the metal thread but it's... not metal. (Your ears might get irritated from the squeal of analog recording, but the band is named Extreme Noise Terror. You've been warned.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF8_2emdLrk&ab_channel=SósGáspár

Ace is still out there playing a mix of his stuff and KISS songs (with a singing drummer doing Paul's parts), Peter Criss is supposedly retired but Gene has talked about sending the band out with zero original members. 

I won tickets to see George Thorogood and The Destroyers playing a 100 person room this friday. so that's my next show, last week went to left To Die featuring original Death members Rick Rozz and Terry Butler playing the first two albums

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/13/2024 at 7:59 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I went to see the "new" Dead Kennedys a couple years ago (which I completely forgot about until reminded way later) and walked out two songs in where I waited outside for the show to finish. 

I saw Jello do a surprise live set with Melvins before their first collaboration came out and that's as close to the DK that I need to get. Absolutely insane set. 

Edit: That Black Flag video is disappointing. I say that as someone whose only tattoo is the bars. 

Edited by RazorbladeKiss87

Jello covering DKs with somebody else would be infinitely better than DKs covering themselves without Jello, I imagine. And if it was just Jello and Melvins doing their thing then I bet that was great too. The Guantanamo School of Medicine albums are great, I need to dig up the Melvins ones. 

EDIT: Actually, I must've borrowed Sieg Howdy! from a bandmate because I specifically remember "McGriff the Crime Dog".

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Yeah, it was really awesome especially since it was a surprise set. Plus I got to watch this girl get her revenge on some douche who kept trying to start a pit during the Melvins set and bloodied her nose. The Jello set starts, people are going nuts and she runs from the back still bleeding and proceeds to stage dive and Superman punch him. 

I'm not anti pit but the Melvins set that night was especially heavy on slow stuff and the guy was obnoxious about it. 

• Like 1

Nowadays the kids mosh to the slow stuff instead of the fast stuff. I was at a local show in December and they only get into the breakdowns. I don't understand it. Then again, I don't understand flailing around like Bart and Lisa Simpson fighting nor doing a barrel-roll on the floor to live music either. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

man Peter Frampton was great despite some of the worst weather for an outdoor concert, he hit every note like he's Paul McCartney, Played the guitar like you wouldn't believe despite having to sit down (he's 73!) tributes to Bowie, Harrison, Ray Charles and Chris Cornell