DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Movies - 2023

36 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I've never liked Kang even before Jonathan Majors and more since his debut in Loki Season 1. I think Marvel Studios recast Kang but if it was up to me, I'd replace Kang with Doctor Doom. I am concerned with how X-Men, Fantastic Four and Doctor Doom are handled as the quality control has dropped since the Infinity Saga concluded. My Marvel Studios interest as a result of which has fallen.

Same.  I read Marvel comics as a kid in the 80s and Kang always struck me as a 2nd or 3rd tier villain.  A guy in a goofy helmet, puffy shirt and sundress.  I can't remember him doing shit in Secret Wars, for example.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Thanks 1

I have no history with him in the comics and thought he was pretty decent (a lot of which was just performance) but maybe don't job out the guy who's supposed to be your big bad to Ant Man right away if you want me to take him seriously.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The problem with the Avengers and the Justice League is they rarely have a solo villain as an antagonist, unless it’s someone like Ultron or Darkseid, and they often have monions or a volume of goons/robots as fodder. Normally, it’s your Masters of Evil / Injstice Society groups of villains with a head honcho (Zemo, the Wizard) and then various B/C level folks. 

I mean, how many super A+ villains does either company really have? Maybe a handful each? They’ve already used Thanos, Ultron, The Red Skull and Loki. Even Zemo if you could him as an A lister. Doom and Magneto are probably who you have left. 

of course, the caveat is that any character, even Paste Pot Pete or the psycho pirate, can be threats if written correctly. Look at the Molecule Man in Secret Wars. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

The problem with the Avengers and the Justice League is they rarely have a solo villain as an antagonist, unless it’s someone like Ultron or Darkseid, and they often have monions or a volume of goons/robots as fodder. Normally, it’s your Masters of Evil / Injstice Society groups of villains with a head honcho (Zemo, the Wizard) and then various B/C level folks. 

I mean, how many super A+ villains does either company really have? Maybe a handful each? They’ve already used Thanos, Ultron, The Red Skull and Loki. Even Zemo if you could him as an A lister. Doom and Magneto are probably who you have left. 

of course, the caveat is that any character, even Paste Pot Pete or the psycho pirate, can be threats if written correctly. Look at the Molecule Man in Secret Wars. 

I'd probably add Galactus to the A+ list they could still use

It feels weird how many keep bringing up Magneto as villain when he hasn't been one in the comics for a decade or two now. 

As for A+ villain left, for MCU it feels like they still have a decent amount of choices with plenty of untouched X-men & F4 villains. Power level wise there are probably a decent amount of cosmic threats they can use. 

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

They could probably pivot to Annihilus and just do Annihilation in a way where you still end up at Secret Wars.

I don't think they really need to pivot to get to Secret Wars. I also don't really see them doing Annihilation with GOtG more or less done. Too much of a cosmic story and they seem to be gradually focusing everything back onto Earth.