DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 17.

The Natural

F4wonline.com:

Spoiler
  • NJPW announced an attendance of 26,085 people for Wrestle Kingdom 17.
  • Dax Harwood shared a photo of FTR with Mercedes Mone (the former Sasha Banks) and Bayley following Mone's NJPW debut at Wrestle Kingdom.
  • Mone also tweeted photos with FTR, Bayley, Trinity Fatu (Naomi), Samuray Del Sol (Kalisto), and more. She wrote: “I’ve never felt more loved! I can’t thank my family enough for being here for me.”
  • Mone tweeted that her Tokyo Dome debut was a “dream come true.”
  • NJPW uploaded video of Mone’s post-show comments after her Wrestle Kingdom appearance. Mone said this is only just her first stop because she’s on a “world domination tour.”
  • Lio Rush posted a picture of his face after getting busted open at Wrestle Kingdom: “Just a scratch……Ok maybe more than a scratch. Either way, I’ve never felt more alive. Thanks for watching.”

Spoiler

So I've been watching the show over the last (checks pretend watch) holy fuck 8 hours?!!?!  I'm pretty drunk now and it's 2:20 AM and fuck it

I'm done after Kenny and Will.  F'n A that match.  I saw Kenny catch the mouse immediately and then watched it swell as he spent the rest of the match stretching his face to keep it from doing so.  I had to stop and rewind stuff several times after ugly spots just to make sure I was correct in them being the two most dedicated, coordinated zero fucks giving dudes in the moment.  They so got me with this match.  I wanted Kenny to win for reasons, but Will totally got me with one his comebacks, and then Kenny would shut him down and I'd be like "YEAH THAT'S RIGHT FUCK YOU KID" and then it just kept going back and forth and I marked the fuck out when Kenny won, as he should have.  This was everything it needed to be, from the entrances to the match to holy shit I can't wait to see the rematch on Kenny's terms in AEW.  Brilliant pro-wrestling here on so many levels.

Sasha's debut didn't do it for me.  I had a bad feeling this wouldn't click, but she's a really good wrestler and shit so like, it should work.  Her and Bianca was the main event at that 2 night WM for me, but I'm not sure there's the crowd there for her and Kairi

I was actually really liking the Karl Anderson and Tama Tonga match but when KA botched taking his own move on the finish I got the worst fucking feeling about what went down there, and knowing who's involved with all this, wtf man.  I don't want to go all Zapruder on the gun stun but this was sketchy as fuck, and I had serious fuck KA vibes after this.  This piece of shit owes his career to NJPW and he can't even put Tonga over proper here?  I need to be convinced he didn't botch that finish on purpose because I've been defending his work for a decade

what else?  Master Wato kinda sucks.  He has that one really cool slash pin move he hits and that's about it.  Desperado and Bone Soldier are the most interesting to me at this point, as much as I love Hiromu, so this at least gets Wato out of the picture and gives us the 3 best set up

I was loving the FTR match for a bit and then it just kind of ended without ramping up.  I was avoiding all spoilers (still have) until I watched, Cash had travel issues, Dax is already banged up, felt like they did the best they could.  I enjoyed it for what it was, but FTR just kind of sadly jobbed and went away

I might have more to add later, still haven't watched the main event but obviously Okada is gonna win and it won't top Kenny and Will so fukk it.  I need to watch AEW palate clense.  I need some D-Bry and Swerve and Darby-Joe in my life right now

Edited by ExcellenceofAirPollution
mystery?
  • Like 2

Kazuchika Okada vs. Jay White was missing a few things: the action, the match dragging with the obvious winner and it fell in Kenny Omega/Will Ospreay shadow ever since that was announced, it was the real main event of the show. It's in my bottom three of Kazuchika Okada NJPW Wrestle Kingdom matches at the Tokyo Dome. I actually preferred the match they had four years earlier. Kota Ibushi is still Jay White's best opponent.

Here's how I rank Kazuchika Okada's NJPW Wrestle Kingdom at the Tokyo Dome matches:

15. Kazuchika Okada vs. Yoshi-Hashi. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 6.

14. Kazuchika Okada vs. Jay White. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 17.

13. Kazuchika Okada vs. Jay White. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 13.

12. Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 7.

11. Kazuchika Okada vs. Tetsuya Naito. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 8.

9. Kazuchika Okada vs. Will Ospreay. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15.

8. Kazuchika Okada vs. Will Ospreay. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 16.

7. Kazuchika Okada vs. Tetsuya Naito. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 12.

6. Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 9.

5. Kazuchika Okada vs. Shingo Takagi. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 16. *****.

4. Kazuchika Okada vs. Kota Ibushi. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 14. *****.

3. Kazuchika Okada vs. Tetsuya Naito. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 14. *****.

2. Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 10. *****.

1. Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11. *****.

Thoughts?

• Thanks 1

Just now, TheVileOne said:

I've probably rarely handed out a a 5* rating, but I'd have no problem putting that rating to Omega vs. Ospreay. Definitely up there for me, and I saw Undertaker/HBK live for WrestleMania 25.

I gave Omega/Ospreay ***** as I did for Undertaker/Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania XXV. Awesome you got to see one of the greatest matches of all time live.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, The Natural said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Sucks KAIRI vs. Tam Nakano went 5:47. Both deserved better.

It was clearly the only rushed match as well. In my head I thought it was 8 minutes but hearing that time stamp, yikes. I was already annoyed before the show started that they had 7 matches above them. Ok the two main events, the special match with muto, you could even put the tag match above the womens match, even though I had no interest in the tag match. But at a bare ass minimum it should’ve been the fifth match on the card. Certainly not the eighth. 

So far it looks like Ren Narita is hooking up with Minoru and Despy. And then the remaining Suzuki-gun guys (TAICHI, Kanemaru, DOUKI and TAKA) have become...JUST FOUR GUYS. And then minus TAKA they take on Catch 2/2 and Ospreay (!).

Spoiler

Just Four Guys won! So Kanemaru and DOUKI take on the UE? TAICHI and Ospreay? The next thing set up is TMDK vs Bishamon and Ishii vs Zack. Zack also brings one of the Young Lions (I forget which one) into TMDK as his young boy.

Edited by lostinube

2 hours ago, The Natural said:
  Hide contents

Sucks KAIRI vs. Tam Nakano went 5:47. Both deserved better.

You can blame Mercedes for that one as her grand entrance sucked half their allotted time. Just the way they time out the show, they don’t deviate. 

Uncle Dave actually called it perfectly tonight pointing out how much stuff Omega and Ospreay didn’t do. I guess it’s probably going to be a trilogy but I’d happily take Omega beating Okada for the IWGP title at Fobidden Door, Ospreay getting his big win over Okada to win the G1 and then the return Omega- Ospreay to headline WK. Probably a little gaijin heavy for NJ booking however

• Like 1

Just now, Red King said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Okada and Omega teaming up. 

Thanks. This event normally does big things like Shinsuke Nakamura's last NJPW match and Kenny Omega kicking AJ Styles out of Bullet Club/NJPW. What others am I missing?

Spoiler

Looks like Omega vs. Cobb in the near future.  Tremendous.  

TMDK looked really good as a unit.  ZSJ is now known as "The Frontman".  Shane Haste is such an underutilized talent.  

I liked the other Bullet Club members really looking baffled and shook up when Jay White suddenly threw out the loser leaves Japan stip.  Interesting.  

Umino vs. Naito looks imminent, Shingo and O-Khan are kinda friends now. 

There's plenty more.  Crazy stuff going down all over the place tonight.

Edited by Evil Otto

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

Why are we spoilering New Year's Dash when we didn't spoiler WK?

I'm guessing White's on his way out, wonder where he's gonna land.  

WWE makes the most sense I suppose.

Also, re-watched Omega vs Ospreay and I swear Ospreay blasted Omega so hard that Omega's vertigo returned. Ospreay with one of his late forearm shivers just blasts Omega right in the ear.

That match though...Again, hell of a match, but damn, they could have dialed down the violence and stiffness by a lot and still have had a tremendous match.

BTW, Omega and Okada is some real Apolo and Rocky type shit. Hard not to smile for those two.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 2