DVDVR Message Board

SDL Is Braun's Funhouse - 4/10/2020

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, EVA said:

When Ryker initially joined, they leaned into his and Cutler’s military background, making it almost like a team of surly, disillusioned vets.  They even had Lacy Evans paired with them on the house shows for a while.  But I guess somebody decided that wasn’t a good look for a company that does so much work with the military, and that has been HEAVILY de-emphasized, to the point that you wouldn’t know it unless you were really tuned into developmental.  They have been the epitome of Just Some Guys ever since.

Cole mentioned all three guys being former military on this episode of Smackdown. They never had full explanation of who they were even on NXT tv except former military guys teaming together. They have basically just been a basic heel tag team with Ryker as their heavy/manager since they debuted on tv. Plenty of people have done fine w/o well defined gimmicks. The Sons issue really does come down to a lack of charisma to make up for it. When you have little charisma is when you really need a solid gimmick to build on.

Saw The Forgotten Sons and the Street Profits tear the house down at a touring loop show in 2018. One of those deals were TFS had zero heat initially but won over the entire crowd by the end of the match. 

The Sons would have more potential if somebody involved could talk and explain what exactly the gimmick is, what they stand for and such. I have really vague memories of them doing one vignette on NXT time but i'll be damned if I could tell you one thing they said. Cutler and Blake work well together, and Ryker is...there, but put about ten minutes of thought into them and they could be a decent way to kill some time since WE MUST BE LIVE EVERY WEEK, PAL

15 hours ago, EVA said:

Like a great many latter day NXT gimmicks, it’s really ill-defined (quick, what was Sanity about?).

When Ryker initially joined, they leaned into his and Cutler’s military background, making it almost like a team of surly, disillusioned vets.  They even had Lacy Evans paired with them on the house shows for a while.  But I guess somebody decided that wasn’t a good look for a company that does so much work with the military, and that has been HEAVILY de-emphasized, to the point that you wouldn’t know it unless you were really tuned into developmental.  They have been the epitome of Just Some Guys ever since.

I definitely wouldn’t say it’s been heavily de-emphasized. In one of, if not their last NXT appearances, they mentioned fighting for their country and defending its honor against the Grizzled Young Vets.