DVDVR Message Board

Start 'em or Sit 'em

BrianS81177

So, despite my opponent getting 0 points from one of his WR spots, I'm still down by a bit over 50 points because he also had Nick Foles, Carolina's defense, AP, and Josh Gordon. So yeah, that happened... >_<

The good news is that I have Russel Wilson, Marshawn Lynch, and Steven Hauschka, so it's certainly possible for me to catch him. 

The bad news? He still has Jimmy Graham. >_<  Good thing I already have my ticket punched to the playoffs...

I'm in the playoffs so I'm going to go ahead and throw this out for next week.

QB - Peyton Manning

RB - Adrian Peterson

RB - Knowshon Moreno

WR - ???

WR - ???

TE - Greg Olsen

Flex - ???

Kicker - Vinatieri

DEF - Buffalo

I've got:

WR

Victor Cruz vs. SD

Hakeem Nicks vs. SD

Percy Harvin vs. SF

Denarious Moore vs. NYJ

Riley Cooper vs. DET

Michael Floyd vs. STL

Julian Edelman vs. CLE

RB

Joique Bell vs. PHI

Rashard Mendenhall vs. STL

I'm making a huge bid for Edelman on the Waiver, so I don't have him yet, but there's a good chance I'll get him.  I'm pouring all of my remaining budget into him.  What three do I plug those empty spots with?

I'm leaning toward Edelman (or Floyd), Cruz, and Cooper

Niiiiiiiiiiiice. Thanks to the shellacking that Brees took, he only gave my opponent a 9 point bump and now I'm firmly in the driver's seat with a 20 point lead heading into week 2 of the first round of the playoffs.

With my loss this week, I dropped to #3 in the rankings, so no playoff bye week this week for me. I'd like to get some advice on my flex spot:

Vernon Davis (vs. SEA)

Michael Crabtree (vs. SEA)

Giovani Bernard (vs. IND)

Harry Douglas (@ GB)

I'm leaning towards Douglas, but I want to make sure I'm putting forth the best team possible.

If you're playing the matchup, I would go with Douglas, although I can see arguments for Bernard as well.

What I'm wondering is if I should change things up with my defense. I own both the Panthers D and the Cardinals D. HOWEVER, Oakland's D is available on waivers. So it's either:

- Panthers D vs Saints

- Cardinals D vs Rams

- Oakland D vs Jets

I went through the Jets schedule to see how their opponents fared and boy how they've fared well. The Saints faltered against the Jets, as did Atlanta, and that's what gives me pause. No easy choices though, because the Panthers are playing the Saints in New Orleans and only the best defenses have done well against the Rams, oddly enough. 

All or Bust! Looking to either squeak my way into a dicy playoff situation in my league or be a spoiler who knocks someone out.  Looking for the best possible team I can field. Starters in bold.

QB- Luck (CIN), Fitzpatrick (DEN), Palmer (STL)

RB - Andre Brown (SD), Zac Stacy (STL), Rashad Jennings (NYJ - and probably still concussed)

WR - Jeordy Nelson (ATL),  Keenan Allen (NYG), Michael Floyd (STL), Michael Crabtree (SEA)

TE-  Jordan Cameron (NE - maybe without a decent QB to throw to), Ladarius Green (NYG)

FLEX - Any of the available RB/WR/TE

DST - I am going with the Chiefs over the Bucs

Thoughts, suggestions, and comments? Thanks

I wouldn't start Fitzpatrick in a playoff situation, even with Luck having been pretty bad as of late.  Palmer should be able to put up serviceable numbers for you.  He went 26/40 for 327 yds, 2 TDs, 1 INT and a lost fumble in Week 1 in St. Louis.

I would definitely play Luck. If you want to know why, just go back and look at that Bengals vs Steelers game.

For your running backs, if Jennings is healthy, start him, whether if it's at RB or the flex spot. There's been no indication that he's in danger of losing his job to Run DMC and all signs point to him being ready to play. However, if he can't pass the concussion protocols, then, yeah, play Brown and look at maybe Green for your flex.

For your WR set, I think you have to start Michael Floyd. He was a freak at Notre Dame and now he's getting the chance to show that on the field. He has hands and a vertical similar to Randy Moss and he's drawing single coverage to boot because Fitz is drawing double coverage. I've started Floyd this last few weeks to great success. Floyd is primed to be a top receiver next year, barring injury.

The timing is terrible with Jordy and Jennings. It looks like you have no choice but to play one in the FLEX.

Pick your poison there-- Jennings is going to struggle against the JETS if he plays, and Nelson is having a tough time with the QB carousel in GB.

Unless there's someone gold on your WW (drop TB), you're stuck there.  

Okay, I'm pretty sure this is going to sound dumb, but here goes...

I have Russel Wilson as my QB, who has a tough matchup this week in the 49ers. Josh McCown, who has a much easier matchup against Dallas, is available. Should I play to the matchups and pick up McCown for this week? Thanks!

Play McCown. Weather will be decent in Chicago this weekend, McCown has plenty of weapons that are in tune with him, and Wilson has to deal with playing away in San Fran. 

That's what I figured. So, with that done, here's my lineup:

QB: Josh McCown (vs. DAL)

WR: Desean Jackson (vs. DET), Keenan Allen (vs. NYG)

RB: Marshawn Lynch (@ SF), Shane Vereen (vs. CLE)

TE: Rob Gronkowski (vs. CLE)

Flex: Vernon Davis (vs. SEA)

K: Steven Hauschka (@ SF)

DEF: Kansas City (@ WAS)

My Bench looks like this:

Harry Douglas (@ GB)

Giovani Bernard (vs. IND)

Robbie Gould (vs. DAL)

Miami (@ PIT)

Russel Wilson and Michael Crabtree are also on my bench, but I'm definitely not playing them. So, is there any way to optimize my lineup, or am I all set? Thanks!

I know Vernon Davis is on fire right now, but he has NOT fared well against Seattle in his last 5 games.  Only 13 catches against 'em and zero TDs.  Maybe he's due, or they have his number?

Atlanta isn't a good team, but Harry Douglas has put up some decent stats as of late and the Packers D is no great shakes.

So, in the 2 leagues I'm in, I made the playoffs in both as the 4th seed.  I think I have my rosters optimized (and slated to lose based on estimated points), but would like your thoughts:

Yahoo! Team (standard)

QB: Dalton 

RBs: Le'Veon Bell and Reggie Bush

WRs: VJax, Demaryius Thomas

TE: Heath Miller

W/T: Josh Gordon

W/R: Vereen

K: Gould

DST: Chiefs

Bench - Luck, FJax, Ridley, Gio, Keenan Allen, Hilton

ESPN League (PPR):

QB: Brees

RBs: Charles, Lacy

WRs: A.J. Green, Michael Floyd

TE: Jared Cook

FLEX: Le'Veon Bell

K: Gould

DST: Patriots

Bench - Russell Wilson, Bobby Rainey, Streater, Gio, Jordy, Jordan Reed, Panthers DST

Terry

You may even want to think about starting Bernard in your flex spot.

The only issue I have with this is that Gio has a time share with Green-Ellis.  He could score a couple TDs, or he could only pick up 60 net yds, which makes it a risky call IMO.

Good point.

Well, if all goes well with the waiver wire (and I'm dead last on that since I'm in first place in the league), I'm going to drop the Cardinals D and go with the Oakland D, playing the matchup against the Jets. As an added bonus, I still have the Panthers D, who also play the Jets next week. So my line up for game 2 of the first round of the playoffs is:

QB1: Peyton Manning

QB2: Tom Brady

RB1: Alfred Morris

RB2: Shane Vereen

WR1: Demaryius Thoms

WR2: Larry Fitzgerald

TE1: GRONK

TE2: Ladarius Green

FLEX: Michael Floyd

K: Dan Bailey

DEF: Oakland (if all goes well)

Relevant players on my bench are:

RB: Ryan Matthews

RB: Rashad Jennings

WR: Cecil Shorts

TE: Rob Housler

TE: Jordan Reed

I'm a little conflicted with my RB and TE choices. Reed is a really good TE, but who knows if he's going to play or how well he's going to do. I also wonder how well Housler will fare since he had a touchdown vultured last week.

As for my RB, Jennings has been sooooo good, but again, who knows if he'll be ready to go. If he is, I really don't know if I go with him or Vereen.

I feel like I should start Jennings too but the Jets D is no joke at home. Yahoo is still trying to make it sound like him starting is murky, too.

Of course, my alternative is "I can't believe I burned a second round pick on" Ray Rice vs Minnesota. And I really have no faith in Ray to do anything at this point. Minnesota's run D is at the other end of the league stats, though.

I feel like I should start Jennings too but the Jets D is no joke at home. Yahoo is still trying to make it sound like him starting is murky, too.

Of course, my alternative is "I can't believe I burned a second round pick on" Ray Rice vs Minnesota. And I really have no faith in Ray to do anything at this point. Minnesota's run D is at the other end of the league stats, though.

I'm in the same boat as you. I wasted a KEEPER on Rice. If he can't go my only other real option is Morris vs KC and given how Shanahan seems dead set on shitting all over my fantasy team lately I'm wary of starting Morris.