DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2015/16 - Period 2

Dolfan in NYC

Make better rules. Then actually enforce them.

You can't take all hitting out of the game so if someone is being targeted with perfectly legal hits what do you do?

Hit them legally back? If it's legal to hit somebody clean and not to the head, why is it such a big deal? Think of all of the damage guys like those two legends I mentioned above had to go through. Do you think Gordie Howe had a personal bodyguard like Gretzky had Semenko? The Sedins take a huge physical toll every game because of their cycle style. They put up with it and score. Why should superstars be these untouchable angels? This isn't the NBA where once you hit a certain level, guys aren't allowed to touch you.

Gordie Howe WAS Semenko. Go find the famous photo of that Ranger with his nose hanging by his cheek after messing with Gordie. No less an authority than Don Cherry said he was the second most dangerous fighter in league history.

Full disclose: I worked for what really was the last old time hockey team in pro hockey, the defunct Danbury Trashers of the equally defunct UHL. Think Slapshot with characters like Frank the animal Bilowas, Brad wingnut Wingfield, Chad Wagner (who received a lifetime ban for bolting out of the penalty box and attacking Crotchbite coach Mark Potvin) and John nasty Mirasty. Fans were just as crazy with the legendary Section 102 and the world's most brutal hecklers. Then you had the owner who was a trash hauling magnate who got busted for mob related activity. They were the single greatest thing ever and I actually miss them as much as the Whalers. Greatest job ever.

Gordie Howe WAS Semenko. Go find the famous photo of that Ranger with his nose hanging by his cheek after messing with Gordie. No less an authority than Don Cherry said he was the second most dangerous fighter in league history.

Exactly. He wasn't protected and he had to take care of himself. It's a physical, hard game. I don't want to see guys like Kariya get crosschecked in the face by that shitbum Suter or drilled into another dimension by Stevens. Neither of those plays would be under the rules of today's league. But clean body checks/shoulder to shoulder hits are part of what makes hockey so exciting. I think they can protect players from headshots by defining and enforcing rules better and giving way, way harsher punishments to players that go out of their way to severely hurt players (regardless of skill).

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger 8m8 minutes ago

Indefinite suspension for Wideman pending post All Star hearing.

If he plays another game this season I'll be shocked. Dale Hunter saw that and said "Man that was fucked up".

This just in: The NHL has just traded Wideman to WWE for Nakamura.

You shouldn't be. A lot of those guys are pretty smart and great guys.

They didn't grow up with dreams of being a goon. They loved hockey, they wanted to score goals and be great but this became their path to playing the game they love at a professional level.

• Like 1

Make better rules. Then actually enforce them.

You can't take all hitting out of the game so if someone is being targeted with perfectly legal hits what do you do?
Nothing? If the hits are legal, what's the problem? Tell your star to stop getting hit. Tell him to do like Pavel Datsyuk did against the Sharks one time - he drew a defender into thinking he could get hit, then flattened the defender instead. But this idea that there should be retaliation or protection after legal hits is nonsense.

Fell down the Youtube rabbit hole today watching tons of old stuff. I think I found the greatest thing ever and I wish I knew how to post it: The Brass Bonanza Mosh. Basically it's footage of mosh pits from punk/hardcore shows set to the Brass Bonanza. Also of note is the Whalermania video that got featured on Puck Daddy.

Dylan Larkin - screws up skating, still breaks Mike Gartner's record in the fastest skater competition. Hoo boy is it going to be fun watching him for the next decade. Or two.

That was a really fun skills comp (which is usually pretty decent). Nice to see the players and the league embrace more really goofy shit like props and letting the kids get involved a bit.

Larkin got a running start didn't he? Gartner didn't have that if I remember right. Still, he beat the field comfortably which is something when Taylor Hall is racing Erik Karlsson.

GIFs of John Scott laughing at the fans booing Patrick Kane are the best.

How to spot a media asshole: anyone who prefaces ANY mention of John Scott with "slow footed enforcer". This is usually used by league sycophants.

Also a memo to Uncle Terry: find a way to bring Scott back to Buffalo. I know it's different positions but he can't be any more useless than Mike Webber.