DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: BILLY ROBINSON

RIPPA

I will post the Robinson vs. Inoki match you didn't post 'cause you hate inoki.

I am sorry :( but it is Billy Robinson and Billy Robinson is awesome.

This match is so so fucking good. 

This is what I said about it:

Bockwinkel vs Robinson - AJPW - 11.12.1980 You crazy folks are really telling me there are 14 80s AJPW matches better than this? Really? Holy crap. The sense of struggle in this match is amazing. In the beginning you see one of the best worked headscissors ever followed by one of the best worked headlocks ever and it just goes up from there. There are so many moments in this thing, the european uppercut followed by Bockwinkel's return punch, Bock trying to get out of the headlock but getting taken back down and in a moment later again and again, the sheer desperation once he goes to the leg the first time and starts to get some traction only to be unable to keep it up (and the way he RUSHED back to the leg after the ref broke it was just brilliant as ever Bock), again the sense of struggle in things like the piledriver reversal and even a whip into the corner. They don't half ass anything and the attention to detail adds so much emotion. When Robinson's leg finally goes out on the second Robinson backbreaker, and then Robinson after the figure four fighting on one leg with his own sense of desperation. The finish is downright beautiful with the two of them punching away as the time goes out, both half dead from the war, and ending up collapsed against each other in the ropes, even though they'd just been trying to kill each other. They didn't want to be there in that sort of kindred embrace but their bodies gave them no choice. It makes the shake of the hand that follows even more poignant.

I'm annoyed the Robinson/Denton vs Bock/Brunzell match isn't online anymore.

This is one of the best examples we have of Bock/Stevens online though.

• Like 1

My exact post from the Abby WOTD thread

http://youtu.be/MYwtxc-iCLM

http://youtu.be/74ykFcd8U1o

http://youtu.be/62iXRL7o3WA

This one is 2 out of 3 falls. It is much more of a "straight" wrestling match. (I use quotes because this is Abby so you are going to get some Abby brawling no matter what). Won't be for everyone - especially those without the patience to let a story develop. (Especially when it comes to the 2nd fall). Abby's scream sell is... weird.

I enjoy it because I love me some psychology and focusing on a body part. Maybe Daniel Bryan should rewatch his Robinson tapes when trying to remember selling a crippling injury.

EDIT - OH! Everyone needs to make sure they go to 4:42 mark of the third clip if you want to see how one truly gets over being a monster heel

• Like 1

Billy Robinson > Your favorite wrestler.

What if it happened to be Billy Robinson? Do we get sucked into a vortex?

Billy Robinson > Your favorite wrestler.

What if it happened to be Billy Robinson?

Yeah, that is the wrasslin' equivalent of dividing by zero.