DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania XXXI - The Greatest Show Ever

Big Fresh

...uh, "FU" was not a rap lyric...

He first mentioned the phrase in one of his little "coming back to settle the score" rap vignettes when Lesnar put him out.  I don't think that, at the time, he was teasing a finisher with the name "FU;" it seemed like he was just dissing Lesnar.  He introduced the actual move in his first match back after he rehabbed what ever Lesnar did to put him out.  That's why I made that statement.

They went into this show with a chance to make Rusev, Bray, and Reigns. They came out of the show having made none of those guys, and only Lesnar feeling like a bigger deal than he was before. Rollins got a chicken shit win, had his credibility buried by Heyman on Raw, and is surrounded by people with go away heat. The Rollins cash in was just a get out of jail free card for the booking because they didn't want Reigns or Brock suffering a clean loss.

The second match on Mania is now a ppv main event? lol

Taking Lana away from Rusev and jobbing him to Cena kills him dead. Bray could've been fully rehabbed with a win over Taker, but now I'm not sure it can ever be done. I won't even get into what they did to Sting, and booking Reigns right back to the stuff people hated before Mania.

Coming out of this show we have HHH, Big Show, Orton, Cena, Taker all looking strong yeah that makes me real fucking excited for the future. Oh and Bryan won a belt they don't give a shit about, but temporarily pretended they did to try and appease his fans. Just look at how Bryan is elevating the title losing by count out in his second match as champ. Best show ever lol

To be fair Roman Reigns could've announced and proved he had the cure for cancer in the middle of that ring on Monday and he was still getting boo'd so there's no harm in having him work a 6-man, hit all his spots and get a meaningless victory in front of the most hostile crowd he's going to face this year. You can do more with him this upcoming Monday and this past Monday will not be remembered.

Rusev and Lana are most likely not splitting up, they just needed a reason to get her off TV so she could film her movie (last day of shooting was Monday) so I'll assume she'll be back for Smackdown tonight.

Sometimes I think we all forget that wrestling is a never-ending story. At Wrestlemania, a book ended. Now we have to set up the next book which will take a few weeks to get the people into place. My guess is by the build for Payback we'll be able to see exactly what this wrestling year will have in store since Extreme Rules tends to be some new feuds mixed in with old feuds that are finishing up from Mania

I've given it a few days to think about what I saw calmly and rationally and the result is I still feel the same way I did right after the show, which is to say I am in lockstep with JCM, 100%. This show blew goats and exposed everything that is wrong with WWE at this point. The one bright spot was the divas match, which was quite good. For that matter, almost all the matches were good matches. The execution in the ring is not what I have a problem, it's the outcome and what it means long-term. They've apparently given up on Barrett, I wish he'd quit and go to New Japan where they might actually let him win once in awhile. (I have heard rumors of him tagging with Finn Balor, which leaving aside the whole English/Irish thing, would actually be a great team.) VKM gives the IWC a sympathy fuck by handing the Intercontinental  belt to that great little B+ player that everyone seems so fond of. They've created the best evil foreigner heel since Nikita Koloff and what do they do? Take away all the things that made him so enjoyable. Must keep Cena looking strong, it's all about the kids, don'tcha know?

'Let's have Bray Wyatt, who could (with Harper and Rowan again) be our biggest heel stable for the next five to ten years  do the job for an aging once-a-year attraction who now moves with all the grace of Andre the Giant after WrestleMania III.  (From the mind of VKM: "Let's get the biggest attraction from our former competitor and make him do the job for HHH, that'll show those WCW guys who's the boss! Hell, I'll have him eat my farts on RAW the next night! Take that, Ted Turner! Now that Rollins has the belt, we'll have the Big Show turn! That'll surprise everyone!"

• Like 2

Finisher kickouts are so common nowadays that people who DO lose to one finisher actually look weak as a result.

I really hate the finisher model of wrestling.  If I were in charge, finishers would be about as protected as they are now, but signature moves would win on occasion, esp with guys lower on the totem pole.   That alone would help to elevate folks, as kicking out of a secondary finisher would show the guy has something.

As for the above post, I'd expand it to say that WM showed all that is right, and all that is wrong with WWE these days.  The strengths (mostly in-ring) and weaknesses (booking) were so apparent.  This is why I see WWE right now is a lot like 1998-9 WCW.

I have no problem with Rusev losing to Cena for example, but it shouldn't have been from his finisher-  Cena should have won off either a rollup fluke pin, or with some sort of new death move.  If Rusev didn't have a broken neck in his past, I would have suggested a piledriver.

I've given it a few days to think about what I saw calmly and rationally and the result is I still feel the same way I did right after the show, which is to say I am in lockstep with JCM, 100%. This show blew goats and exposed everything that is wrong with WWE at this point. The one bright spot was the divas match, which was quite good. For that matter, almost all the matches were good matches. The execution in the ring is not what I have a problem, it's the outcome and what it means long-term. They've apparently given up on Barrett, I wish he'd quit and go to New Japan where they might actually let him win once in awhile. (I have heard rumors of him tagging with Finn Balor, which leaving aside the whole English/Irish thing, would actually be a great team.) VKM gives the IWC a sympathy fuck by handing the Intercontinental  belt to that great little B+ player that everyone seems so fond of. They've created the best evil foreigner heel since Nikita Koloff and what do they do? Take away all the things that made him so enjoyable. Must keep Cena looking strong, it's all about the kids, don'tcha know?

'Let's have Bray Wyatt, who could (with Harper and Rowan again) be our biggest heel stable for the next five to ten years  do the job for an aging once-a-year attraction who now moves with all the grace of Andre the Giant after WrestleMania III.  (From the mind of VKM: "Let's get the biggest attraction from our former competitor and make him do the job for HHH, that'll show those WCW guys who's the boss! Hell, I'll have him eat my farts on RAW the next night! Take that, Ted Turner! Now that Rollins has the belt, we'll have the Big Show turn! That'll surprise everyone!"

While the Bryan stuff bugs me, he can recover. He's an underdog. That's his gimmick.

It's the way WWE books up and coming heels that is super frustrating. A dominant heel is supposed to....dominate. Beating Jack Swagger every week doesn't get it done. You need to have statement victories over main event players.

For example, lets look at the booking of Lesnar. When he first returned he immediately took a fall to Cena. It took over a year for him to get anything resembling his aura back. Now after two statement victories (take/cena summerslam) he's the biggest start they have.  

Coming out of Mania there is no clear path for Rusev or Wyatt to get to the next level. They both took a step back. It's not permanent or anything. I'm sure some solid booking could fix things. But I wouldn't hold my breathe. On Raw Rusev for some reason didn't respond to Cenas open challenge and squared off against Golddust of all people.  

I wonder what numbers Brock moves in merch.  Because if he moves fucktons, then it throws some of the arguing points about how Cena can't turn heel overboard, doesn't it?

To be fair, Rusev did have a string of "statement victories" leading to finally losing to Cena. Yeah, Swagger kind of became his canon fodder, but he also beat Big Show and Mark Henry in pretty decisive fashion multiple times, as well as Dolph Ziggler and the entire undercard. Who else can he really beat? Only ones I can think that he hasn't beat on the face side is Bryan, Ambrose, or Orton.

EDIT: Oh, and they played up an angle about how/why Rusev didn't respond to Cena's open challenge on RAW. I'd assume that it's not over with them yet and we'll get a stipulation rematch at Extreme Rules. After that show, though, is where we really see what is in store for Rusev. Where can he really go? Perhaps he jumps to the IC title and a program with Bryan?

The idea I think was to win the title without having to pin Brock.  Makes sense in that regard.

Also, there's the whole time limit on the briefcase and Brock not showing up much, which was even mentioned.

That is actually a really good point, He had to make a move and Brock was about as vulnerable as he gets.

• Like 1

Okay, serious question time: Is the Sting/HHH match better or worse received if instead of DX and nWo coming to the aid of their respective wrestlers, it was a T-800 model and Robocop? Everything else about the match including Shawn Michaels and the weapon fight remains the same. 

• Like 1

Okay, serious question time: Is the Sting/HHH match better or worse received if instead of DX and nWo coming to the aid of their respective wrestlers, it was a T-800 model and Robocop? Everything else about the match including Shawn Michaels and the weapon fight remains the same.

Can't ED-209 just show up and wreck shit instead?

I wonder what numbers Brock moves in merch.  Because if he moves fucktons, then it throws some of the arguing points about how Cena can't turn heel overboard, doesn't it?

Thing is-Brock isn't a face, heel, or tweener.  He's just Brock.  He exists.  And he can make sure you don't.

Hall Nash and Hogan's run in was about as slow as Robocop's, so probably not much difference.

• Like 1

Hall Nash and Hogan's run in was about as slow as Robocop's, so probably not much difference.

Due to the long ramp, it really felt like HHH was doing the "distracted by theme music/interference" daze for an eternity.

Due to the long ramp, it really felt like HHH was doing the "distracted by theme music/interference" daze for an eternity.

Exit light....

*puff puff*

Enter night...

*chuuuuuuuuuuuuug*

It was a link to this story about the Anoa'i Fam being pissed about the main event finish. Has anyone else read that?

It's been brought up in the April Discussion Thread.  Of course DVDVR being what it is we've begun to joke fantasy book the whole family as a Samoan NWO. :)

From what I gather they all flew out to NorCal from various locations to watch Wrestlemania under the impression he was winning (maybe they were told about it, or maybe they just recognized the formulaic and predictable booking of a new babyface champion's Royal Rumble To Wrestlemania march like everyone else did :D) and the change from Roman Wins to Rollins Cashes In was supposedly made so late in the process that they didn't find out about it until they saw it happen.