DVDVR Message Board

MMA Live Event Discussion Thread, Winter 2024

Elsalvajeloco

To me immediate rematches should only be if there's a robbery, a close fight or if the long time champion loses and deserves a chance to regain the gold. This wasn't a robbery and Strickland lost his first defence but it was such a close fight. You don't get fights splitting opinion down the middle like this often. I cited earlier examples of Edgar/Maynard 2 and Cruz/Dillashaw.

In addition to the above, I'm still miffed Carlos Condit didn't get an immediate rematch vs. Robbie Lawler. Lawler defended the UFC Welterweight Championship by split decision but that was a robbery. Neither fighter was the same again especially Condit and we got fucking Tyron Woodley as UFC Welterweight Champion.

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

In addition to the above, I'm still miffed Carlos Condit didn't get an immediate rematch vs. Robbie Lawler. Lawler defended the UFC Welterweight Championship by split decision but that was a robbery. Neither fighter was the same again especially Condit and we got fucking Tyron Woodley as UFC Welterweight Champion.

Woodley defended the belt four times and had a great first fight against Wonderboy and absolutely drubbed Till. Yeah the other two fights were rough to watch but I think we can pin the Maia fight on Maia. All while Dana outright loathed Woodley in that special, Bostonian way. Don't see why he requires a "fucking" prefix.

• Like 1

DDP vs. Adesanya feels like the only realistic, non freak show match that’s big enough to headline 300 so I’m kinda glad about the result. From what I remember it basically came down to who took round 2, which Strickland had maybe a little cleaner striking but DDP had a takedown. Sean’s popularity has really skyrocketed and it felt even more apparent on fight night, but I don’t think this loss hurts him that much. 

Mallot’s loss reminded me of Rory vs. Condit. Looked great and then crumbled at the very end. I was saying Mallot’s activity was a real problem for him and it showed here. Now he’s 32, and if he fights once a year like usual, or even twice a year he won’t be getting a title shot till he’s 35 which is pretty much statistically impossible to win at that point.

also Dana calling Movsar’s fight the least entertaining thing anyone has seen is hilarious given the sleep inducing co-main event this show had. I thought it was a really entertaining high level fight where Allen looked great even in defeat. They really make the path to the title so much harder for Russians, if it were an equitably booked company non-Russian champs would be notable exceptions tho. I think Movsar could definitely beat the winner of Volk/Ilia.

not a great card. lots of decisions that weren't particularly exciting. thoughts:

i root for Priscila Cachoeira because of the "Zombie Girl" nickname. but she clearly doesn't belong at this level. 4-6 ufc record isn't great. in a division as devoid of talent as WBW makes it even worse. she was a bloody mess.

Taveras/Sidey was easily FOTN. i know it's not eligible for that award due to Taveras missing weight, but that was a banger.

was super confused when Charles Jourdain started celebrating after the split decision call. the way Woodson just shrugged and started to walk out had me thinking i had the fighters mixed up for the entirety of their fight. 

Mike Malott went to the Chael Sonnen school of "dominate a fight but find a way to lose in the last minute". once that ground position was reversed, he was DONE. i want to feel bad for him, but that was 100% on him, so i don't.

how could Pennington not finish Bueno Silva, who obviously had zero energy and was eating punches like M&Ms? and these are two of the top three women in this division? WBW sucks.

DDP 2, 3, 4. not sure how this won fight of the night. Strickland was super happy to be conservative and just land that piston jab. DDP was flailing and missing badly a lot of the time. there was a feeling of building tension through the fight, but round 5 was the only time i was outright excited here. 

i really like Dominick Cruz on commentary. Feels like he's the only one who provides actual analysis. I don't know if he's (officially) retired, but i hope he gets more opportunities in the booth. He seems be have been de-emphasized the past few years. DC will occasionally do this on wrestling/takedowns. i like Joe Rogan, but he's just an "OOOHHH!" machine now and brings the worst out in DC as well. Bisping is pretty mediocre to me. Paul Felder does pretty well.
that being said, Cruz had a weird focus on 'damage' for this event. like, they run down the official criteria every event, and damage specifically isn't one of them. but he also wasn't wrong, which probably should be viewed as more of a knock against the judges.

Edited by twiztor

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

i root for Priscila Cachoeira because of the "Zombie Girl" nickname. but she clearly doesn't belong at this level. 4-6 ufc record isn't great. in a division as devoid of talent as WBW makes it even worse. she was a bloody mess.

Cachoeira is unfortunately one of those "I'm really only in the UFC cause my main training partner is UFC champ or a former champ". She only got in the UFC cause she trained with Jessica Andrade. Usually, that will keep you in the UFC 2-3 fights before you get cut. I think the Valentina fight where she took a horrific beating bought her more time than she deserved. However, the fights she would have gotten cut after she ended up winning somehow. If you look at a lot of folks who gotten cut in the last six or seven years, it's a lot of 0-3, 0-2, 1-4, 1-5, 2-6 UFC records where it's automatic you're getting cut. This may have been the final straw for Cachoeira. 

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

how could Pennington not finish Bueno Silva, who obviously had zero energy and was eating punches like M&Ms? and these are two of the top three women in this division? WBW sucks.

Uh, she's Raquel Pennington? Pennington has gotten more proficient over time especially over this win streak, but it's obvious she was an opponent for Mayra Bueno Silva. Mayra just crapped the bed. For whatever reason (maybe the spotlight was too big for her and she had a massive adrenaline dump early in the fight), she just didn't get it done. When it was like the 3rd round and Marcos da Matta (Parrumpinha) is begging for her to stop going for the same takedown, I knew it was over. I mean I feel sorry for her cause she had to also deal with the Strickland nonsense during fight week, but she botched it bad this week. She's not going to have a layup this big in a championship fight ever again. It was either Pennington or Julianna Pena. If she couldn't beat Pennington, she's not going to beat Pena IMO. 

• Like 1

GDB2nEwXkAApI1W.jpg?1704435434

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 93: Dolidze vs. Imavov
February 3, 2024
Las Vegas, NV (UFC Apex)

Roman Dolidze (186) vs. Nassourdine Imavov (185) - Imavov, DEC (majority)
Renato Carneiro (156) vs. Drew Dober (156) - Carneiro, DEC (unanimous)
Randy Brown (171) vs. Muslim Salikhov (171) - Brown, KO (punches), R1 (3:17)
Viviane Araújo (126) vs. Natália Silva (125.5) - Silva, DEC (unanimous)
Aliaskhab Khizriev (186) vs. Makhmud Muradov (185.5) - No Contest (Accidental Eye Poke)   
Gilbert Urbina (171) vs. Charles Radtke (170.5) - Radtke, TKO (punches), R1 (4:47)

ESPN 2 / ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Molly McCann (116) vs. Diana Belbiţă (116) - McCann, SUB (armbar), R1 (4:59)
Azat Maksum (126) vs. Charles Johnson (125.5) - Johnson, DEC (unanimous)   
Themba Gorimbo (170.5) vs. Pete Rodriguez (170) - Gorimbo, TKO (punches), R1 (0:32)
Jeong Yeong Lee (146) vs. Blake Bilder (144.5) - Lee, DEC (unanimous)
Luana Carolina (128)* vs. Julija Stoliarenko (126) - Carolina, TKO (punches), R3 (4:52)
Landon Quiñones (155.5) vs. MarQuel Mederos (155.5) - Mederos, DEC (unanimous)
Thomas Petersen (261.5) vs. Jamal Pogues (265.5) - Pogues, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight 

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Molly McCann
Performance of the Night: Randy Brown
Fight of the Night: Azat Maksum vs. Charles Johnson

GDXq4BqWoAAxSom.jpg?1704771637

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 94: Hermansson vs. Pyfer
February 10, 2024
Las Vegas, NV (UFC Apex)

Jack Hermansson (185) vs. Joe Pyfer (185.5) - Hermansson, DEC (unanimous)
Dan Ige (146) vs. Andre Fili (146) - Ige, KO (punch), R1 (2:43)
Robert Bryczek (185.5) vs. Ihor Potieria (187.5)* - Potieria, DEC (unanimous)
Brad Tavares (186) vs. Gregory Rodrigues (186) - Rodrigues, TKO (punches), R3 (0:55)
Michael Johnson (156) vs. Darrius Flowers (156) - Johnson, DEC (unanimous)
Rodolfo Vieira (185.5) vs. Armen Petrosyan (186) - Vieira, SUB (arm triangle choke), R1 (4:48)

ESPN2 / ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Trevin Giles (171) vs. Carlos Prates (171) - Prates, KO (punch), R2 (4:03)
Bolaji Oki (156) vs. Timothy Cuamba (155.5) - Oki, DEC (split)
Loma Lookboonmee (115.5) vs. Bruna Brasil (115.5) - Lookboonmee, DEC (unanimous)
Devin Clark (204.5) vs. Marcin Prachnio (204.5) - Prachnio, DEC (unanimous)    
Max Griffin (170.5) vs. Jeremiah Wells (171) - Griffin, DEC (split)
Zac Pauga (206) vs. Bogdan Guskov (205.5) - Guskov, KO (punches), R1 (3:38)
Fernie Garcia (146) vs. Hyder Amil (145.5) - Amil, TKO (punches), R2 (2:12)
Daniel Marcos (136) vs. Aori Qileng (136) - No Contest (accidental groin kick)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight         

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Bogdan Guskov
Performance of the Night: Carlos Prates
Performance of the Night: Rodolfo Vieira
Performance of the Night: Dan Ige

UFC 298

UFC 298: Volkanovski vs. Topuria 
February 17, 2024
Anaheim, CA (Honda Center)

UFC Featherweight Championship: Alexander Volkanovski © (144.5) vs. Ilia Topuria (144.5) (sixth defense) - Topuria, KO (punch), R2 (3:32)
Robert Whittaker (185.5) vs. Paulo Henrique Costa (185.5) - Whittaker, DEC (unanimous)
Geoff Neal (170.5) vs. Ian Machado Garry (170.5) - Garry, DEC (split)
Merab Dvalishvili (135) vs. Henry Cejudo (135) - Dvalishvili, DEC (unanimous)
Anthony Hernandez (185.5) vs Roman Kopylov (185) - Hernandez, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (3:23)

ESPN / ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Amanda Lemos (115.5) vs. Mackenzie Dern (116) - Lemos, DEC (unanimous)
Marcos Rogerio de Lima (261.5) vs. Junior Tafa (249) - Lima, TKO (strikes), R2 (1:14)
Rinya Nakamura (135.5) vs. Carlos Vera (135.5) - Nakamura, DEC (unanimous)
Mingyang Zhang (204.5) vs. Brendson Ribeiro (205.5) - Zhang, KO (punches), R1 (1:41)

ESPN+ / Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Josh Quinlan (169) vs. Danny Barlow (171) - Barlow, TKO (punches), R3 (1:18)
Oban Elliott (170.5) vs. Val Woodburn (169.5) - Elliott, DEC (unanimous)
Andrea Lee (125.5) vs. Miranda Maverick (126) - Maverick, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Mingyang Zhang
Performance of the Night: Anthony Hernandez
Performance of the Night: Ilia Topuria
Fight of the Night: Amanda Lemos vs. Mackenzie Dern

Attendance: 18,186
Gate: $7.26 million

Danny Barlow just got my attention. Fought like a true prospect and showed some gnarly accuracy. He's got some tall man defensive issues but I liked what I saw. And that mumble rap Memphis promo was actually kinda money.