DVDVR Message Board

UFC 294: Makhachev vs. Volkanovski II (10/21/2023) - Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (Etihad Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC 294

UFC 294: Makhachev vs. Volkanovski II 
October 21, 2023
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (Etihad Arena)

UFC Lightweight Championship: Islam Makhachev © (155) vs. Alexander Volkanovski (154.5) (second defense) - Makhachev, KO (head kick and punches), R1 (3:06)
Kamaru Usman (184.5) vs. Khamzat Chimaev (185.5) - Chimaev, DEC (majority)
Magomed Ankalaev (206) vs. Johnny Walker (205) - No Contest (unintentional illegal knee)
Ikram Aliskerov (186) vs. Warlley Alves (185.5) - Aliskerov, TKO (strikes), R1 (2:07)
Said Nurmagomedov (136) vs. Muin Gafurov (135.5) - Nurmagomedov, SUB (guillotine choke), R1 (1:13)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Tim Elliott (126) vs. Muhammad Mokaev (126) - Mokaev, SUB (arm triangle choke), R3 (3:03)
Mohammad Yahya (156) vs. Trevor Peek (155.5) - Peek, DEC (unanimous)
Javid Basharat (136) vs. Victor Henry (136) - No Contest (accidental groin kick)
Abu Azaitar (186) vs. Sedriques Dumas (186) - Dumas, DEC (unanimous)
Mike Breeden (159.5)** vs. Anshul Jubli (155.5) - Breeden, KO (punches), R3 (3:00)
Nathaniel Wood (146) vs. Muhammad Naimov (145.5) - Naimov, DEC (unanimous)
Victoria Dudakova (116.6)* vs. Jinh Yu Frey (116) - Dudakova, DEC (unanimous)
Sharabutdin Magomedov (186) vs. Bruno Silva (186) - Magomedov, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight 
**Forfeits 30% of purse for missing weight 

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Muhammad Mokaev
Performance of the Night: Said Nurmagomedov
Performance of the Night: Ikram Aliskerov
Performance of the Night: Islam Makhachev

Looking forward to Islam Makhachev vs. Alexander Volkanovski II. The rematch of the Fight of the Year. Thought Volk won the first fight. Didn't expect to get it as originally it was Makhachev vs. Charles Oliveira II until Charles got badly cut in training. Be interesting to see how Islam and Volk look especially Volk on short notice.

Curious how Kamaru Usman looks at Middleweight vs. Khamzat Chimaev. Uncle Dana said winner gets the next UFC Middleweight Championship shot vs. Sean Strickland. Should be Dricus du Plessis having won six straight, five finishes.

Only good thing about the Saudi UFC shows is seeing UFC at a great time. Main card starts at 5pm on a Saturday rather than the 3am Sunday morning.

ooooo waking up to some violence.

Fucking watch Shara Magomedov out strike Bruno Silva from his baaaaaaack. I don't know if this guy will go too far, because he really was too comfy staying his back.. That worked here because Silva was looking to ground and pound, but if he faces a better grappler who can neutralize that bullshit he's going to have big problems.

Regardless that's a big win and he's definitely on the radar now.

Mike Breeden probably got himself 50K for going full DAWG in the third round, proving that age old adage: "Everyone's got a plan until your opponent starts barking like a dog."

• Haha 1

For those who missed it:
Victor Henry was kicked in the balls so bad that it fucking shut him down, and the physician came in and suggested that he was fine and that it wasn't a low blow.

Anik then updated us that Henry was vomiting in the back and being taken to a hospital.

That physician should probably get a talking too. His job isn't to make sure the fight keeps going, it's to protect people's health.

• Like 2

Some weird incidents tonight. Feel for Victory Henry. Most of Tim Elliot’s knees seemed legal to me, we just saw a show where a ref allowed them because the guy was lifting his opponent. And the commentators said if they’re gaming the system they don’t get the benefit of the doubt. Also I kinda get how you have to stop a fight if a guy doesn’t know where he is, but there’s a big accent barrier there, as well as adrenaline and shock going through Walker’s system. Refs should probably be preventing the doctors from talking to a guy and making brash decisions before he’s taken a good chunk of his allotted time. Fighters need to see this and learn to refuse to talk.

Usman/Chimaev was slightly underwhelming, wish it was 5 rounds. Tired of the UFC strong arming fights and blaming fighters for not being ready, DDP deserves the title shot. Dana was glowing for Chimaev after the fight when he’d be deriding a guy like Belal Muhammad for putting on a similar performance.

Edited by A.M.B.

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Given the short notice, Usman fought pretty well. Dunno if it was 28-28, but you can argue that Usman fought better under adversity in a situation most people would have folded under.

How MMA can change. Kamaru Usman 15 wins in a row, a minute away from tying Anderson Silva on 16 till getting KTFO by Leon Edwards losing the UFC Welterweight Championship and he's now lost three in a row.

Volk had the hand up but then dipped so far over that he exposed the top of his head. Rough rough shot. I'm good with the stoppage because it looked like the only thing keeping him up was Islam's knee at one point. It just would've kept going otherwise.

18 minutes ago, The Natural said:

How MMA can change. Kamaru Usman 15 wins in a row, a minute away from tying Anderson Silva on 16 till getting KTFO by Leon Edwards losing the UFC Welterweight Championship and he's now lost three in a row.

To be honest, I don't think anyone could name someone who wouldn't be 0-3 going against Leon Edwards and Chimaev in three fights. Records don't really tell the whole story.

As for the main event, I felt strongly that Makhachev in the rematch and not just cause of the abbreviated training camp for Volkanovski. After you fought someone for 25 minutes, it's tough to replicate that again especially against young fighter in their prime and somehow do even more to win a decision the second time around. That's asking A LOT.

19 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I thought a Draw was on the table.

If they're emphasizing Damage then I could see Usman winning the second and the third, honestly.

10-8 in the first was disrespectful. Not a ton of damage, no point did I think he was gonna finish Usman. Also to give Chimaev the third on one takedown with no damage delivered is why I hate MMA judging. 

Usman was robbed

Just now, Lawful Metal said:

10-8 in the first was disrespectful.

Yeah, I don't think that was disrespectful. Also, damage and whether a referee would stop it isn't the only criteria for a 10-8. Now a 10-7...yes. For example, I believe that Michelle Waterson fight from a few weeks ago. That's a 10-7 round if you ever saw one.

I don't have a huge problem with the 10-8 only because Usman was basically in a dangerous/terrible position for practically 4 of the 5 minutes. It wasn't like they were chest to chest in guard, just hanging out.

That's why I thought 28-28 was reasonable.

I think we're learning a lot about Chimaev when his opponents make it out of that first round barrage, and it's not all positive either. It's very possible he beats Sean and becomes champion. However, there are a lot of guys in the Top 10 that he never fought that could potentially be a real problem for him.

7 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I don't have a huge problem with the 10-8 only because Usman was basically in a dangerous/terrible position for practically 4 of the 5 minutes. It wasn't like they were chest to chest in guard, just hanging out.

That's why I thought 28-28 was reasonable.

I think we're learning a lot about Chimaev when his opponents make it out of that first round barrage, and it's not all positive either. It's very possible he beats Sean and becomes champion. However, there are a lot of guys in the Top 10 that he never fought that could potentially be a real problem for him.

I would argue that all of them won't have the resiliency of a Kamaru Usman and certainly the wrestling acumen.

IMO I think going from fighting frequently to just whenever they can find a fight for him is something that's hard to get use to. Moreover, he cannot fight higher level fighters like you do mid level fighters who don't belong in the same zip code as you. If this was at 170 and not middleweight, it would be even more impressive cause he did what only one other guy (the champion at welterweight in Leon Edwards) has been able to do and that's beat Kamaru Usman. I don't think there are a lot of middleweights that can beat Kamaru Usman. The guy holds a win over the CURRENT middleweight champion. Not too long ago, this guy was an unknown. A complete unknown. Now we expect him to be an all time great in the matter of 2 or 3 years.

On the talk of 10-8s, there was a time 15-17 years ago when you had to Dim Mak touch of death somebody to get a 10-8. Every once in awhile you would get Nate Marquardt having a 30-25 scorecard on some random Fight Night but it would be RARE. And the whole reason judges refused to give 10-8s and the procedure had to be corrected is erroneously thinking a 10-8 automatically ends a fight if it's three rounds. It's not up to the judges to determine fairness and flaws in the system in actual goddamn fight. Moreover, as a fighter, theoretically you're suppose to be fighting hard EVERY round and not just if you probably dropped a 10-8 round. It may be an overcorrection, but the correction was necessary based on the oversight decades ago from judges who didn't follow the system.

We've seen more and more of them thanks to folks like Khabib and Demian Maia and others who showed you don't exactly have to kill your opponent to get a 10-8 cause that's not what a 10-8 round is.