DVDVR Message Board

POLL 8/20- 8/26 - WHAT WAS THE BEST FREE TV MATCH OF THE WEEK? sad week happy matches

WHAT WAS THE BEST FREE TV MATCH OF THE WEEK?   

13 members have voted

1. 1. WHAT WAS THE BEST MATCH OF THE WEEK?

• Rocky Romero , Master Wato & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Heath, Joe Hendry & Yuya Uemura - IMPACT / NJPW MULTIVERSE PRE-SHOW
    • Drew McIntyre & Matt Riddle vs. Kofi Kingston & Xavier Woods - RAW
    • Gunther vs. Chad Gable - RAW
    • Cody Rhodes, Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn vs. Damian Priest, Dominik Mysterio & Finn Balor - RAW
    • Misterioso Jr., Felino & Felino Jr. vs. Fugaz, Star Black & Valiente - CMLL
    • Jon Moxley vs. Rey Fenix - DYNAMITE
    • Darby Allin & Nick Wayne vs. AR Fox & Swerve Strickland - DYNAMITE
    • Ruby Soho vs. Skye Blue - DYNAMITE
    • Kyle Fletcher & Mark Davis vs. Jeff Hardy & Matt Hardy - DYNAMITE
    • Trinity vs. Jody Threat - IMPACT
    • Jason Hotch & John Skyler vs.. Ace Austin & Chris Bey - IMPACT
    • Chris Sabin vs. Samuray del Sol - IMPACT
    • Alex Shelley vs. Brian Myers - IMPACT
    • Ilja Dragunov vs. Trick Williams - NXT
    • Nathan Frazer vs. Noam Dar - NXT
    • Dragon Lee & Lyra Valkyria vs. Dominik Mysterio & Rhea Ripley - NXT
    • Carmelo Hayes vs. Wes Lee - NXT
    • El Phantasmo vs. Will Ospreay - NJPW ON AXS
    • Willie Mack vs. Ken Broadway vs. O'Shay Edwards vs. Love Doug vs. Nolo Kitano - MLW
    • Athena & Billie Starkz vs. Charlette Renegade & Robyn Renegade - ROH
    • Blake Christian vs. Brandon Cutler - ROH
    • Christopher Daniels vs. Zack Sabre Jr. - ROH
    • Kaz Hayashi, Kento Miyahara, Suwama & T-Hawk vs. Atsuki Aoyagi, Hayato Tamura, Tetsuya Izuchi & Yuma Anzai - GLEAT / AJPW
    • Hikaru Sato & Yu Iizuka vs. Dan Tamura & Minoru Tanaka - GLEAT / AJPW
    • El Lindaman vs. Rising HAYATO - GLEAT / AJPW
    • Rey Mysterio vs. Grayson Waller - SMACKDOWN
    • IYO SKY vs. Zelina Vega - SMACKDOWN
    • Angelo Dawkins & Montez Ford vs. Butch & Ridge Holland - SMACKDOWN
    • Finn Balor vs. LA Knight - SMACKDOWN
    • Orange Cassidy vs. Aaron Solo - RAMPAGE
    • QT Marshall vs. Gravity - RAMPAGE
    • Dr. Britt Baker DMD & Hikaru Shida vs. Saraya & Toni Storm - RAMPAGE
    • Fly Star, Noisy Boy & Spider Fly vs. Belial, Fandango & Lunatik Fly - IWRG / LUCHA LIBRE BOOM
    • Ovett Jr. vs. Lunatik Extreme vs. Súper Boy Jr. - IWRG / LUCHA LIBRE BOOM
    • Diva Salvaje, Jessy Ventura & Mamba vs. Alas De Plata, Ángel Del Amor & Carta Brava Jr. - IWRG / LUCHA LIBRE BOOM
    • Eddie Kingston, Orange Cassidy & Penta El Zero Miedo vs. Kip Sabian, The Blade & The Butcher- COLLISION
    • Willow Nightingale vs. Robyn Renegade- COLLISION
    • CM Punk, Darby Allin, Hook & Sting vs. Jay White, Luchasaurus, Brian Cage & Swerve Strickland - COLLISION

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/05/2023 at 03:59 AM

If the Biggest Show Ever still isn't enough for you, we've got you covered.  Emotional tribute shows, marathon pre-tapes, and THREE count em THREE crossover events all make the cut here. Vote as you see fit, but if you didn't check NXT it's very worth your eyeball time.

btw the links started inlining halfway through? I have no idea how or why, and it f'ed up the formatting. When I tried to undo they kept zapping back to being inlined. I dunno. This it probably positive progress.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Thanks 1

My weirdo pick for the week is the TRIANGULAR EXTREMO wtih Lunatik Extreme,  Super Boy Jr. and Ovett Jr. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP3ZuOHGAoI . Turns out I was hankering for indie lucha lighttube nonsense, and the crowd gave this one got a well-deserved ESTO ES LUCHA chant. Not a super gory deathmatch, just well worked, a tight 12 minutes with fat boy high-flying and yeah the blood's good too. The front row's definitely a splash zone. And maybe I didn't need to include the Las Shotas match but I was tickled when they delayed the start of the match so they could sweep up all the blood and glass. I don't know the complete state of exoticos in 2023 but I find Jessy Ventura to be the best, more naturally charismatic and believable in the role than Dulce Gardenia or whoever else I've seen.

And know this - Ryusuke Taguchi is over in Philly. Rising HAYATO trying to win the AJPW Junior belt back from El Lindaman is straightforward, no fluff, good stuff.

Anybody bellyaching about Ospreay + Jericho having a pretty good one can watch Big Match Willie and El P have one of the top G1 matches of this year (and boy did that show need it). IMPACT was very very consistent and worth watching the full two hours. GUNTHER v Gable was world class and took me back to WALTER on the indies murdering little workrate guys. Great episode of NXT to check in on if you're not a regular viewer. I eat that Heritage Cup stuff up, I do.

On 8/28/2023 at 8:08 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Ilja/Trick was a nice surprise so it get mine.

There are occasionally prodigious NXT performances that make me forget that a talent is purebred Performance Center. Trick Williams isn't that guy, even if his offense is occasionally indie-by-osmosis. And I don't entirely believe in "promo class" pre-or-post-Dusty - I think it can turn a mediocre promo into good promo, but I think that *great* promos are more or less born that way (Trick is probably one of those guys). BUT... that match managed to make me believe in the Performance Center process a little bit more than I did before. In the sense that the "indy" stuff - being in position, clean execution of offense.. and his selling was weirdly uncoordinated. But he stayed in the scene. I always use that phase because I'm a theater guy but damnit that's the phrase for it. Trick will be an interesting case study by the time he gets promoted.

• Like 2

All of the WWE on here was good. Ilja/Trick, Nathan/Dar, Melo/Wes, Profits/Brutes were all especially good. With that said, GUNTHER/Gable was great and easily above everything else which is saying something considering how good a lot of those got. Still need to see plenty from AEW, NJPW, lucha, and GLEAT, but I can't see anything else coming close to GUNTHER/Gable.

Somehow I added a four-month old joshi match to the poll because I couldn't differentiate between APRIL and AUGUST.

I'm struggling on the joshi side. I feel like there should be more out there, but most of the time it's just STARDOM New Blood or pre-shows. Where exactly should I be digging for the new-new?

That is probably it. Most joshi promotions don't do full matches for free. When they do show up they are usually still clipped to a degree and its months later. Stardom can afford to do the freebies and pre-show matches because they are the most successful and do well on PPVs.

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I just now learned via this poll that Kaz Hayashi is still active! I was a fan of his in the WCW days, I'm looking forward to catching this one

His AJPW Jr. champ run was good. Apparently in GLEAT he is in a team with Minoru Tanaka & CIMA. There is a GLEAT show from a few weeks back where they went up against Hiromu and two GLEAT guys. Its fun and worth checking out.

• Like 1

Mox/Fenix seemed good but left me cold for reasons I'm not sure of. Dug Darby/Wayne vs. Swerve/Fox. Ruby/Skye was solid. The Rampage matches were solid if unspectacular. Thought both were better than what Johnny/OC from the previous week. The Collision matches were similar fine but nothing standout. One of the weaker weaks for AEW and Collision in particular. 

ELP/Ospreay built into something good.

Trinity/Jody was just decent.

The UWF GLEAT match was decent but these tend to only do so much for me. Dug HAYATO/Lindaman. Hayato doesn't have the energy I'm used to from juniors, but his stuff feels better paced than the average junior. The 8-man vets vs. youngsters tag was pretty fun. Enjoy T-Hawk being a dick at times and Tamura/Suwama. Also after watching him in these GLEAT tags the past half a year or so I see why people dig Miyahara. Kind of surprised NJPW hasn't tried to pick him up yet. He is super charismatic and like Okada still relatively young despite being around 15 or so years.

• Like 1