DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 7/17 - 7/23/2023

Dolfan in NYC

In other, sadder news, Bayley appears to have - at least - sprained her knee during a house show match against Asuka.  It was bad enough that the ref threw the dreaded X up.  The footage is behind the spoiler:

Spoiler

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, hammerva said:

It was an accidental chop block to the front of the knee.  If that happened in all sports it would be a serious injury.   A little confused why Damage Cntrl was against Asuka but not important 

I read that as "an accidental chop to the front of the knee" and was more amused than I should have been.

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

A little confused why Damage Cntrl was against Asuka but not important 

4-way for the title. Bianca was in the match as well. Probably a little confusing because Charlotte was worried enough to break and check on Bayley for a moment.

Skipped around some of the Cody/Brock segment as it was nothing we haven't seen before per say. Still pretty decent from what I caught.

Gunther/Riddle was fairly good once again though like the PLE match too short to be as great as it could be.

Raquel/Liv vs. Sonya/Chelsea pretty decent by the end, but I kind of hated the result. I would prefer they not hop the titles around so much. I like Sonya and Chelsea, but I also don't really feel like have any real momentum as champs. You also jus have teams like the KCs, Dawn & Fyre, and even Raquel/Liv here who are better teams.

Alpha Academy vs. Viking Raiders was good fun. Loved the crazy shit and bumps from all involved. Otis's badass moment in the final stretch was great. Was fun seeing Titus join the commentary team for this specific match. You could see how glued in he was as it went on whenever the camera cut to commentary. The crowd was just as invested by the end if not more.

The Becky/Miz TV segment was fine. 

Reed/Nakamura was going well until the interference from Ciamp. Kind of curious to see where they a leading to with Nakamura given the post match elbow to Ciampa and interview with Saxton.

Sami/KO vs. Priest/Dom was super fun and good all around. The chaotic stretch at the end in particular went off quite well.

Solid enough Raw though it felt kind of heel success heavy until the Becky segment and men's tag titles match. 

• Like 1

What a really fun Raw. 

That main event was fantastic. There were a few near falls that I bit. Rhea is just firing at all cylinders. Is she the best all-around performer in the WWE right now? She did a fantastic Bobby Heenan tribute act tonight, making everything look important. 

I also loved the Viking Rules match. Great goofball fun. 

• Like 2

Sami is just an untouchable babyface now and forever. I love he is losing in singles because it just adds to generating sympathy in his Rocky Morton role in their tag team. KO’s doing the best work of an already sterling career and his angry man shtick equates so well to him becoming an all-time hot tag equalizer. I also love they are putting teams away with their singles moves — why wouldn’t that work? 

KO/Sami now and forever.

• Like 3

Also, a thing I loved about Gunther/Riddle was when they went on the floor. Gunther looked like an absolute beast with a chop and a bodyslam. He looked infinitely more vicious doing so than any number of cornballs doing things like Canadian Destroyers on the ring apron. 

Laying stuff in and knowing how to look dominant and Riddle selling like he is facing death itself >Spinning Super Spike Tiger Driver ‘83 Ring Apron spots.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

The only thing they used her for was matches, while her strength is, and has always been, character work. 

She was going to have to wrestle eventually. She had character stuff going on nearly every time. It just got upended by injuries not long after.

6 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Also, a thing I loved about Gunther/Riddle was when they went on the floor. Gunther looked like an absolute beast with a chop and a bodyslam. He looked infinitely more vicious doing so than any number of cornballs doing things like Canadian Destroyers on the ring apron. 

Laying stuff in and knowing how to look dominant and Riddle selling like he is facing death itself >Spinning Super Spike Tiger Driver ‘83 Ring Apron spots.

Amazing to see someone else who hasn’t gone down the ironic road of “WHY DON’T YOU LIKE BRAINBUSTERS ON THE RING APRON VIKINGO STYLE BRUH” 

Gunther and Rhea Ripley are on another level. 

Fuck it give me Rhea vs Gunther. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coach said:

Amazing to see someone else who hasn’t gone down the ironic road of “WHY DON’T YOU LIKE BRAINBUSTERS ON THE RING APRON VIKINGO STYLE BRUH” 

Gunther and Rhea Ripley are on another level. 

Fuck it give me Rhea vs Gunther. 

Within the world of WWE -- what does Gunther think of The Judgment Day? Is there grudging respect for Balor, and Priest's MITB, or is that outweighed by disdain because to them, the mat is clearly not sacred?

2 hours ago, Iron Moose said:

Within the world of WWE -- what does Gunther think of The Judgment Day? Is there grudging respect for Balor, and Priest's MITB, or is that outweighed by disdain because to them, the mat is clearly not sacred?

I'll paraphrase Hunt for Red October...  There's little room in GUNTHER's heart for anyone, but GUNTHER. 

• Like 2