DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 6/26 - 7/2/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Endeavor and WWE

https://otp.tools.investis.com/clients/us/wwe/SEC/sec-outline.aspx?FilingId=16750417&Cik=0001091907&PaperOnly=0&HasOriginal=1

"As previously disclosed, on April 2, 2023, World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. (the “Company”) entered into a Transaction Agreement (the “Transaction Agreement”), by and among the Company, Endeavor Group Holdings, Inc. (“Endeavor”), Endeavor Operating Company, LLC, Zuffa Parent, LLC (“HoldCo”), New Whale Inc. (“New PubCo”) and Whale Merger Sub Inc. pursuant to which, among other things, Endeavor and the Company agreed to combine the businesses of HoldCo and the Company. New PubCo will be renamed “TKO Group Holdings, Inc.” immediately following the completion of the Transactions, including the Merger. All defined terms used that are not otherwise defined herein have the meanings ascribed to such terms in the Transaction Agreement".

Sami and Gunther had a banger and Free TV MOTYC.

One of the upsides of Sami losing the most heartbreaking loss in years is that he will be the most sympathetic babyface of his generation as long as he remains a babyface. 

Sami really reminds me a lot of Ricky Steamboat right now. Their timing feels really similar. But, most importantly, neither of them has to work that hard at getting audience sympathy. They have it right from the start, and it makes everything so much easier — they sell so organically and work so well from underneath but never look overmatched. The audience always believes in them. And that makes it easier for Gunther to generate heat (because Gunther has a reason to take shortcuts — he went in arrogantly but quickly realized Sami is at least his equal) and for the outside interference spots to look more needed for Gunther to win. 

Just such a well-told story by those guys, with of course KO managing to really put everything over on the announcing team, too.

Finn and Melo was also a really good “veteran gives debuting youngster his shine before pulling out a decisive win” match. Finn set up all of Melo’s wild spots perfectly well. 

Two really great matches.

• Like 4

Opening segment with Dom, Rhea, and Cody was fine.

Nakamura/Ricochet was good. Kind of surprised Ricochet got the win. Would have preferred Nakamura won, but that is more personal tastes than anything else.

Raquel/Rousey had some neat stuff but was still on the too short side to amount to much other than to push the feud for the tag titles a pinch.

Dom/Tozawa was a bit of a competitive squash.

Günther/Sami was another random great match. The two play so damn well into each other's styles. Really dug Owens on commentary and his reactions to some of the bigger moves Sami ate. Kaiser and Vinci's interference was kept at a minimum and used well. As good as I'm sure the Riddle match will be I would have much rather seen this at MITB. 

Finn had a good promo vid hyping his match against Seth. The Rollins segment that followed was one of his better ones in recent memory, and I dug the intro and respect for Hayes. Was used well to build up Hayes/Finn. Speaking of which that was a pretty good vet vs. talented young guy match. I only wish it hadn't happened with Hayes as NXT champ. I suppose it does at least speak to th eidea of there being levels to some degree in WWE.

Cody/Priest was good. Loved Dom and Rhea bringing the extra heat. Thought all involved made the most of it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Sami and Gunther had a banger and Free TV MOTYC.

I'm telling you, Gunther must hate this feud... because I've seen him smile and break more than everything else I've seen him in combined. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'm telling you, Gunther must hate this feud... because I've seen him smile and break more than everything else I've seen him in combined. 

Oh man, the way he was bracing himself last night in preparation for KO's rant was gold. I think Ludwig positioned himself so he wouldn't have to look at KO while speaking to him, actually. 

KO really is a treasure. His current angry outburst stuff is incredible. 

It really works so well with the overly disciplined Imperium act. Those guys are trying so hard to stay committed to their bit, but there's no way you can do Imperium without being IRL goofballs. 

Also, I really like their bit. Ludwig is a great talker. 

Edited by Greggulator
  • Like 3

I say this from a position of grumpiness (my signal was very shaky last night, AND I was primed to be wary thanks to a reddit post alleging more Vince involvement) -- I really did not like Gunther winning off a crutch shot from Vinci. Undermines almost a year of being basically honorable.

The women tags reverted back to the old WWE Women's Tag Team Championship name, and the NXT Women's tag belts were dropped. Similar to what WWE did with the NXT UK title unifications last year.

I wonder what WWE will do to the Undisputed WWE Men's tags? Those belts are the last ones left to be changed.

Roll call of current WWE Champions in link below

https://www.wwe.com/superstars

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

2 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Oh man, the way he was bracing himself last night in preparation for KO's rant was gold. I think Ludwig positioned himself so he wouldn't have to look at KO while speaking to him, actually. 

KO really is a treasure. His current angry outburst stuff is incredible. 

It really works so well with the overly disciplined Imperium act. Those guys are trying so hard to stay committed to their bit, but there's no way you can do Imperium without being IRL goofballs. 

Also, I really like their bit. Ludwig is a great talker. 

Enjoy:

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

Thea/Stratton was pretty solid and a good showcase for Thea. Was nice to see Thea get the visual submission despite not taking the match in the end. They could easily run this again with Thea actually taking the belt whenever Tiffany drops the belt.

Gallus vs. Enofe/Blade was mostly solid aside from that scary botch from Enofe. Was impressed with how they recovered and Booker sold it. 

Skipped around much of the Schism/DM segment. I assume the Loser leaves NXT match for next week is GYV finally being written out naturally before getting released. Hopefully they let them go out on a high note with the Creeds.

The Meta-Four interview was fun. Really enjoying the dynamic of the group.

Dragon/Frazer was damn good stuff. Great action with the intensity building as it went on while still remaining a friendly match. 

Gigi/Kiana was decent enough. Have to admit that every time I see Dolin in the ring there is an awkwardness in how she moves that takes me a bit out of her matches. Really hope she eventually grows out of it.

Hayes/Corbin was almost shockingly good. Like I expected a quality match, but the two gelled way the hell better than expected. Loved Corbin coming out with his Lone Wolf gimmick and gear. He was also great at being an asshole to Hayes and the crowd. 

Good show overall, probably better than last week's if just for Dragon/Frazer and Corbin/Hayes alone.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

Hail / Stratton was very solid.  I was pleasantly surprised that they jobbed Thea strong.  I would've almost preferred a near-squash as I think that Gigi, Roxanne Perez, and Cora Jade should be circling Tiffany like vultures for title shots as the top 3 contenders.  Thea is youthful and energetic, but just a babe in the woods compared to most of the NXT women's division.  Hail / Stratton should've been like one of those times when Ricky fucking Morton challenged Ric Flair for a World Title match.  Somewhat competitive but ultimately the heel champ wins clean.  It certainly does not make sense that Hail would have such an outstanding outing against Stratton after getting dismantled by Bea Davenport Priestley a couple of weeks ago.

Frazier / Dragon was a damn fine match.  I am beginning to believe that this dumb cup thing is worthy of being an actual championship.

Hayes / Corbin went from brilliant promo stand-off to badass main event.  Who knew?  Corbin definitely deserves a return match.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

It certainly does not make sense that Hail would have such an outstanding outing against Stratton after getting dismantled by Bea Davenport Priestley a couple of weeks ago.

Stratton is still acknowledged to some degree as not necessarily being that super skilled yet. She is considered more a natural talent than anything else. Its why she struggled against someone similar to herself like Sol Ruca in the past. Blair seems to be acknowledged as being at another level than many of the other NXT women. She isn't Meiko or anything, but she is definitely considered a few steps above Tiffany.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

I'm really hoping the Thorpe/Kemp RAW NXT Underground storyline gets silly.  I want Gable to show up at the fight after training Thorpe and say, "damn, no one told me this Kemp guy was Bobby".  Also I want video of Thorpe and Gable watching VHS tapes like Mr. Wrestling II and Magnum in II's den.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Stratton is still acknowledged to some degree as not necessarily being that super skilled yet. She is considered more a natural talent than anything else. Its why she struggled against someone similar to herself like Sol Ruca in the past. Blair seems to be acknowledged as being at another level than many of the other NXT women. She isn't Meiko or anything, but she is definitely considered a few steps above Tiffany.

Yup. In the Stratton/Ruca encounter we saw, they were pretty even on flips and grapples despite Stratton's head start, and every time Stratton would take over on offense, it was due to an unexpected (unsportsmanly) punch or kick. The other thing is that Thea's newfound grappling puts over Dempsey and Gulak in preparation for their upcoming issues with Chase and Hudson. Also, the "tapping fast to try to get the face to break the hold" thing could apply here -- I don't remember how aware Tiffany would have been of the ref at that moment.

... and yeah, Blair is positioned on a higher level. Her intro to NXT US was at the 'smashes Indi, strong contender against Meiko/Mandy' level, and her having beaten Lyons and Ruca into the injured reserve list probably shows they want to keep her up there. Hail struggling against her but stepping up to Stratton feels about right.

• Like 1

So much great stuff tonight. 

Sami/KO vs Pretty Deadly was fantastic. Great action throughout. Pretty Deadly had incredible capes. Their heel trickery spots are at a different level. That is an act I will enjoy watching forever. 

Man, LA Knight is doing something right. He was 1998 Attitude Era over. Actually, that is what he is doing right — just taking the pacing and cadence and having the right pauses and speaking louder than everyone else. I know he has taken some criticism for being derivative, but man who cares? It works.

I love how they have Ricochet and now Butch wins in the MITB build up. Great touch to at least incorporate them into the story. Logan Paul is a great heat magnet.

But man oh man The Bloodline stuff again was just perfect. Great heel stuff from Roman, head games from The Usos to try and stir things up with Solo, and a pretty wild pullapart.

• Like 4

Sami/KO vs. Pretty Deadly was unsurprisingly good stuff.

Ridge/Theory as a nice showcase for Ridge before Theory put him down. I like that that they based the finish off Ridge's throat still being a bit hurt from last week's attack by Solo. Its nice to get a different finish from the norm.

Bayley/Shotzi was a decent showcase for Shotzi though the crowd could not be bothered to give a shit as they were mostly into chanting that song they do any time Bayley in town. I feel a bit sorry for Shotzi with the crowd even being behind her later beatdown backstage, but it is good to see bayley get love. 

The triple threat was short but fun. Was nice to see Dunne get the big win even be th elast man standing in the post match shenanigans. 

Charlotte/Asuka was disappointing. Action was decent, but the two were super loose and off from each other. Felt weird considering how well they usually gel. The finish and post match match segment with Bianca was interesting. 

The final segment was solid. Was good to see things just breakdown into chaos. 

• Like 1

There's a really fun Katana Chance-Emma match on Main Event this week which is fun because Katana Chance is so small that Emma gets to be Scott Hall, They talk about Emma being disenchanted with the new crop of superstars not respecting her and she wrestles that way, bullying Chance as if she's WCW-era Rey Mysterio. Lots of disrespectful-looking kicks and Emma busting out offence you never see (A wheelbarrow suplex) and Chance cutting her off with some pretty spectaculr high-spots (A handstand on the ropes into a headscissors! A standing shooting star press off of Emma's back!).. Ending is a little abrupt but Chance's 360 Codebreaker is pretty nuts.

• Like 4