DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics - 2023

Dolfan in NYC

The Jon Superman is gonna go to the Injustice comic universe, which is Earth 49 in the sole infinite multiverse. The Ultraman of Nu52 (maybe) and the black Superman of Nu52 Earth 2 will both appear in Jon's miniseries. Have to find out if it's the rebooted Nu 52 Earth 2 from the end and not the early one.

Clark is extra powered up again and will own Lex Corp. Luthor is the reason most people on Earth 0 don't remember that Clark and Jon are Supermen.

Under Waid, Shazam will be going back to something very similar to his old costume and he will be known as "The Captain" instead of the Shazam codename.

Mary is Mary Marvel.

The rest of the Johns stuff is sticking.

I'm reminded of a another forgotten UK version of Captain Marvel just called the Captain too. Used to be profiled on some fansite.

So eventually thanks to the Metaverse and in our possible future, Superman is gonna be very young again with no wife and kids again, and lose his JL founder status but Bruce and Diana will be old and moved on from. The name or number for whatever this new Earth is unknown for now.

They already took away Earth 0's main Earth status. Metaverse Earth hasn't always been Earth 0 either.

Just when I think I’m getting a handle on my comics spending, I realize I’ve overlooked a bunch of runs I really want to read.  So far this week, I have bought the Peyer/Rags Morales Hourman run, Rucka’s run on Checkmate, Andreyko’s Manhunter run, Simonson’s Orion run, the Arcudi/Mahnke Major Bummer series, Peter David’s Fallen Angel book (DC run only), Kyle Baker’s short run on Plastic Man, Giffen’s Five Years Later LSH book (vol 4, 1-38) and the Ostrander/Mandrake Spectre run.  This may or may not be the month I finally pick up Morrison’s Doom Patrol and Geoff Johns’ Hawkman series.  Yeah…. That’s a lot.  I mostly did not read comics between 1995 and 2018, so there’s a lot of great stuff out there to cherry-pick.  I also bought a few things last week from Barnes and Noble’s Image sale.

Some of the above really needs collected.  Or collected again,  Not too interested in the gigantic 5YL hardcover.  Would much prefer a couple trades collecting about 12 issues each.  I’m really surprised issues 23-62 of the Spectre run have never gotten collected.  I don’t like IDW’s trade so I wish DC had collected the last eight issues of DC Fallen Angel.  And someone should reprint Major Bummer.  It was  DC book but never got collected by them.  Dark Horse put out a tpb in 2011, but it’s out of print and goes for absurd money on eBay.  It gets the coveted title of most money I’ve ever spent on one trade paperback.

Exit: and the lcs just texted to ask if I still want the Denny O’Neill Question tpbs.  Someone traded in nice copes of the full run last night.  I haven’t read it in 30 years but I really dug that book at the time.

Edited by Mario

• 2 weeks later...

So that leaves only Action and Detective with very long running numbers

https://www.gamesradar.com/flash-800-brings-the-series-to-a-close-before-relaunching-in-september/

Tom King is taking over Wonder Woman with Daniel Sampere on art. New number 1 too.

Other titles 

https://www.comicsbeat.com/king-sampere-on-wonder-woman-spurrier-deodato-on-flash-and-more-fill-out-the-dawn-of-dc/

On 3/10/2023 at 1:05 PM, Red King said:

So that leaves only Action and Detective with very long running numbers

until Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, or whoever comes up to a major milestone legacy number. (if my counting is correct, Batman would hit 900 with this year's May issue)

5 hours ago, twiztor said:

until Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, or whoever comes up to a major milestone legacy number. (if my counting is correct, Batman would hit 900 with this year's May issue)

I am well aware of Batman 900 soon, the issue number reverts back to the newer smaller number after 900.

33 minutes ago, Red King said:

I am well aware of Batman 900 soon, the issue number reverts back to the newer smaller number after 900.

i actually missed the news that they will publish it as #900. i just looked at the numbers from past volumes and was surprised it was that close to a milestone.

it makes me assume Superman is close too, but i don't have those numbers in front of me. if i remember right, those numbers are weird due to retitling and such, so i guess it depends on how you count some of those issues/numbers?

Justice Society of America issue 3

Yolanda and Chapel were just resurrected recently by Lazarus Eruptions. That ignores the parts and panels of Doomsday Clock where both were shown alive eariler.

Per Degaton uses occult magic with the time machine to time travel. 

Anyway the current present day JSA are finally shown on pages working together. 

• 2 weeks later...

Flash: One Minute War spoilers

Spoiler

Everybody who was killed during Hereos in Crisis is now alive. The Gold Beetle of the 35th century went back in time to save everybody but Roy Harper.

Edited by Ace

On 4/19/2023 at 1:15 PM, Matt D said:

I started on Taylor's Nightwing this morning and made it through the first arc. It's as good as people say so far. There's no reason why 80% of the DC line isn't like this. What a waste of 10+ years.

Nightwing is a great book thanks to the Tom Taylor/Bruno Redondo creative team. Did you read Tom Taylor Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man (2019-2020)? It's only 14 issues but I recommend it particularly #6 and #14. I added #14 to my best Spider-Man stories ever list here:

Edited by The Natural

Shazam stuff

Spoiler

Freddy isn't blonde anymore but brunette hair, Shazam is Captain now.

Only Billy has the Shazam powers, the rest of the family have been stripped of their powers.

I was right that Waid will try to undo Nu52 Shazam but he did in a way that doesn't throw everything out. 

Some Batman stuff

Spoiler

Red Mask creates Jokers in the multiverse.  

Lot of different multiversal Batmen show up, the Keaton Batman and the DCAU Batman and more.

The Adam West Batman gives Earth 0 Batman his utility belt.

Bruce of Earth 0s gets his missing hand replaced with robot hand thanks to the TDKR Batman. And he starts wearing the TDKR suit.

Bruce created lot of Zur-En-Arrh copies.

Edited by 赤い竜