DVDVR Message Board

Best US-based wrestlers of the 90s

Finally get to answer my own topic. My top five would be:

Vader: I think Vader was probably the best WCW wrestler, all things considered. He always managed to come off like a total beast in his matches, but also make his opponents, no matter where they were on the pecking order, look credible. He worked well with other big guys like Traylor, classic US heavys like Dustin, Steamboat and, of course, Sting, and could go in there with a virtual jobber like Brad Armstrong and work a credible match. I'd have to reevaluate his WWF run before deciding how far up this list he should be, but he gets on it for the WCW run alone.

Bret Hart: Probably the best of the decade for me, and another guy who worked well against a tonne of different opponents and styles. He had the great classic babyface run, where he was great working as an underdog, and also as a favourite against guys like Waltman, and then he turned around and had perhaps an even better run as a heel. The feuds with Austin, Lawler and Owen were all great for different reasons. One of the best at working babyface vs babyface matches, and also working against big men.

Dustin Rhodes: Dustin is kinda like Vader, in that his first half of the decade in WCW is good enough to get him on the list alone. I'm sure he had a lot of solid stuff in WWF too, but that WCW run is virtually untouchable. Really great tag team worker as well as a great singles worker. Had some quality feuds, the best being the Studd Stable feud, of course, but also the Windham feud and his stuff opposite the Dangerous Alliance. Consistently high level worker, who might have been the hands-down best of the decade had he stayed in WCW.

Chris Benoit: One of the most consistently good wrestlers I've ever seen. Doesn't have a tonne of great matches, but has hardly any that are less than good, and it seems his baseline performance is better than anyone else's from the decade. I really like the feud with the Dungeon of Doom (it somehow made the Dungeon not a cartoon), I think his workrate stuff holds up better than just about anyone else's because of that level of believability he brought to it, and he has quality stuff working up and down the card, singles and tags.

My fifth spot is a lot more open to debate. I'm considering guys like Pillman, who suffers from being used poorly after the break-up of the Blondes, and falling off a cliff after the injury, Regal, who is another guy who was shunted to the side for long periods, but I think made more of what he was given, Shawn, who has high-end matches, but a shortish peak, and even guys like Anderson, Eaton and Windham, who were all solid gold at the start of the decade, but fell away for various reasons. Austin is another strong contender, as is Waltman. I think, for now, I'll settle on Rey Misterio Jr though. He was hands down the best of WCW's cruiserweight division and, when given the opportunity to work with heavyweights, and even to work other cruisers but in more storyline-driven situations than pure workrate/exhibition ones, he almost always delivered big.

My ignorance of ECW, SMW and other indies should be obvious, and I'd love to hear about more contenders from those places.

He was still one of the best guys around in 2011.  Carried a really bland Cody Rhodes to a couple quite good matches, had a classic with Cena on RAW, was good every week on tv that he was healthy.

Carried? GTFO

Put in a little thought and my top 10 would be...

1. Bret Hart

2. Vader

3. Steve Austin

4. Flair - a name that should have been brought up by now. I love his WWF run. The Vader match at Starcade 93. The WCW Savage fued.

5. Benoit

6. Rey Jr

7. Foley

8. Dustin Rhodes

9. HBK

10. Eddie Guererro

Honorable mentions or guys who could be pushed to 9 or 10...

Regal, Rude, Savage, Owen...

One thing I'd throw out is that I think Ricky Steamboat in early 90s WCW was pretty awesome.

1990 had great work from Bobby Eaton & Stan Lane in WCW alongside terrific Ric Flair battling Luger and many others.

In 1991 Shawn is pretty great both in the Rockers  and when he starts wrestling some singles with people like Mr. Perfect; Pillman had some great singles stuff in WCW too.

Come to 1992, Pillman stays hot and WCW Ricky Steamboat is pretty motivated.  WCW has a lot of fun with Dustin Rhodes, Barry Windham, Sting and Steve Austin in both singles & tag action.

By 1993, the Hollywood Blonds (Austin/Pillman) are in full effect and the man they call Vader is big and scary in WCW. 

1994 you've got Flair rekindling his feud with Steamboat and fighting Vader in a Thundercage, Austin continuing to be splendid and Bret Hart getting a good match out of Diesel and feuding with his brother.

1995 is some great Bret Hart gems versus guys like Hakushi, Quebeccer Pierre and more Diesel.  HBK is killing it against everyone from Razor Ramon to Owen Hart and WCW Benoit is making an impact with Eddy & Liger.

The amazing Rey Mysterio has a stellar 1996 just being a human showcase against Jerry Lynn to Malenko to Ultimo Dragon alongside Guerrero & Malenko & Benoit being awesome singles wrestlers.  Shawn has a ton top flight singles matches against a variety of guys (Owen/Bret/Mick/Davey/Vader/Sid) and Flair proves he still has it when he grapples Randy Savage.  

It's easy to forget but Ultimo Dragon was terrific in 1997 WCW and Rey Mysterio continued to be tons of fun (especially when you add in Juvi to the mix).  Eddy remained top notch and Psicosis even had a chance to shine.  Shawn continued to have great matches in WWF and Steve Austin in WWF found his voice and delivered in a big way as a top singles star.

1998 has Juvi feuding with Chris Jericho (really great stuff) and Benoit continuing to be the machine he was in WCW with the Booker T series and the memorable additional of Bret Hart.  Kidman broke out and the three faces of Foley were career making.

In 1999 the Rock makes himself known and has great series against Austin and Triple H.  Those same names from the previous year (Kidman, Foley, Juvi, Benoit, Austin, Rey) all do great and RVD/Jerry Lynn start have their epic ECW series.

It gets tough because 90s is a very wide timeframe.  Benoit had 1995-1999 in WCW.  Flair had good 1990-1996.  HBK had 1991-1997.  Austin had 1992-1994 and 1996-1999.  Bret did consistently deliver from 1990-1999 so he does quite well in the longevity measure.  Rey exploded from 1996-1999 alongside Juvi and Pillman brought it from 1990-1993 especially (and good stuff  in 1995 too).  Guerrero was awesome from 1995-1998 but his accident slowed him down.  Foley did great stuff in WCW (esp. 1992-1994), went to ECW/Japan and then finally made it in WWF 1996-1999.  Sting's working days from 1991-1996 are worth mentioning.

If you're looking at the whole decade, I think it comes down to Flair, HBK, Austin, Bret, Foley, Sting with my nod going to Shawn over Bret for personal aesthetic. 

Oh no. You were a Shawn guy? Next thing you'll tell me you liked Super Nintendo over Sega Genesis.

Who doesn't?

Rankings of Systems I was playing in the 1990s:

• NES
  • Computer: Apple ][ (1990-1995) / 90s PC (1995-1999)
  • Atari 2600
  • Super Nintendo
  • Sega Genesis
  • TurboGrafx-16 
  • Magnavox Odyssey²

Sega does not fare well.  

You and Vic both? And Fowler talking about Cody Rhodes getting carried?

This thread blows. I'm gonna grab the guy who said Renegade by the hand and we're gonna run away together. And we'll live in a tree house. It'll be just like Badlands. And he'll dress up like Sissy Spacek and watch Al Snow/Bossman Kennel match and laugh and laugh. Oh how we'll laugh.

• Like 1

There was a dispute over pay. They had been arguing for weeks over it and Sabu said fuck it and left. I like the Genesis, but I'm never going to choose it over the system with Megaman X, Super Punch Out and A Link To The Past. Cody Rhodes has been good since he debuted, but I think he was poorly cast as a heel.