DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 7

Elsalvajeloco

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Crawford ended up doing what he needed to do. A potential fight with Shawn Porter that's been tossed around be interesting. Porter is going to be in his face all night.

Really enjoyable fight that had the two big momentum swings. That last, finishing punch was saucy as hell. Snap right hook that just appeared out of nowhere.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Really enjoyable fight that had the two big momentum swings. That last, finishing punch was saucy as hell. Snap right hook that just appeared out of nowhere.

Between the Gamboa fight which I thought he would lose, early on in the Jose Benavidez fight, and here, I'm truly convinced Terence Crawford is basically mini Deontay Wilder who can box beautifully. It doesn't matter if he doesn't look good for the first six rounds, he can always get himself out of situations and just finish the fight when he wants to. The question is can he do that against other guys who are as talented as him. I think he would mop up Thurman because even before the injuries, Thurman was never a really busy fighter. If you're not very good, he can get you out of there with authority. I think Crawford would outwork Danny Garcia and win by at least five or six points. I want to see him against Pacquiao, Porter, and Spence. Like I kinda said already, Porter would make it an ugly dogfight. I would still pick Crawford on points at probably 116-112 no worse than 115-113 and probably could score a flash knockdown with Porter being overly aggressive. Pacquiao may not throw 100 punches a round like he could 10 or 15 years ago, but if he is throwing 30-40 punches a round and you're only throwing a dozen to fifteen, he is going to win those rounds and it's going to be clear. I want to see how Crawford can adapt to that. And of course, Errol Spence is probably the fight everyone wants to see and for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

It's too many tweets to post, but I suggest everyone follow Kevin Iole, Mike Coppinger, and Lance Pugmire to follow the debacle that was the ending of the Jacobs vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. fight. Apparently, there was enough trash in the ring afterwards that you would have thought Hulk Hogan turned heel at BATB 96. Julio Cesar Clown Jr. does it again.

• Thanks 1

Hell yeah it was. Great stanky leggin' then all of a sudden a short counter shot puts Ajagba down. 

Main event was very enjoyable too with Charlo putting everything into his shots and then slowing down his output in about the 5th. Harrison took over and looked so smooth defensively until he suddenly did not. Charlo's activity picked up again just before that knock down so it wasn't as if it were completely random.

Just now, Oyaji said:

Hell yeah it was. Great stanky leggin' then all of a sudden a short counter shot puts Ajagba down. 

Main event was very enjoyable too with Charlo putting everything into his shots and then slowing down his output in about the 5th. Harrison took over and looked so smooth defensively until he suddenly did not. Charlo's activity picked up again just before that knock down so it wasn't as if it were completely random.

I don't know what it is about Tony Harrison, but all three losses in his career is just him deciding "I'm just not going to defend myself". That's his M.O. which is why people thought Jermell would stop him in the first fight. If you look at his career prior to the Willie Nelson fight, which was one of his first step ups in competition and where this trend began, he was a prospect with mostly early round stoppages. Prior to that fight, he had only went past six rounds once which was also the only time he went eight rounds. That was three years prior to the Nelson fight. As much as they tried to build him up as Emanuel Steward's last protege and kinda the last vestiges of the Kronk Gym, I don't really see him as that. He's a pretty good boxer with a good jab who gets winded late in the fight whether you're going to his body or not. I think what happened here is Harrison's strategy was built around knowing that Jermell was going to be super aggressive unlike the first fight and waiting for Jermell to get tired as result. However, he didn't count on Jermell having a second wind.

TBH what I never liked about people calling Jermall the better of the two Charlos and automatically discounting Jermell is if you look at the arc of both of them, Jermell situationally is better prepared than Jermall to win these type of fights. Jermell has had some good looking KOs recently, but not having them doing the stretch his brother did made him find new ways to win later in a fight (look at the John Jackson fight where he was losing on the cards) with the first Harrison fight notwithstanding. In contrast, look at Jermall's fight with Brandon Adams. Adams was just there to survive which made the fight pretty lackluster. However, if Jermall had a recipe for when he isn't just sleeping people inside of five or six rounds, Adams wouldn't even have the moral victory of making it twelve rounds. In the back third of that fight, you just kept waiting for Jermall to rev up and he never did. Here...Jermell clearly knew what time it was and wasn't going to be apart of any scoring hijinks. Once Tony started doing more clowning than punching, he knew Harrison was starting to decelerate. Thankfully, the ref saved Harrison from being on the wrong side of an ugly knockout because he wasn't throwing back at all. Even Tony really didn't have a problem with the stoppage.

It'll be more interesting seeing what comes of Joshua fighting either of these two with DAZN's subscription model trying to undercut and kill the ppv model. I would have a hard time seeing how dazn doesn't eventually cave though. 

10 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

It'll be more interesting seeing what comes of Joshua fighting either of these two with DAZN's subscription model trying to undercut and kill the ppv model. I would have a hard time seeing how dazn doesn't eventually cave though. 

Well the thing is...DAZN can't kill the PPV model. Hell, they are basically doing the PPV model because I'm safely assuming there is plenty of churn between Canelo and AJ fights. The only difference is they are undercutting themselves at that price point.

If Bellator can do shows on both Paramount and DAZN at the same time, what is stopping them from doing it on ESPN+ or Fox PPV or Showtime PPV? Nothing. Nothing at all. If anything, by the time the fight comes around and all the promotion before that, DAZN would have gotten so much press indirectly that it would only be beneficial for them. They are not going to get that from a Tevin Farmer or Katie Taylor or Devin Haney fight. There is a reason why they are having Youtubers headline over elite boxers. It's because they can't do this with the names they have. If they could, they would. Beggars can't be choosers. If Canelo or Joshua fails a drug test (one already has in the recent past, mind you) or god forbid tears an ACL or something where they are out for a significant amount of time, are they just gonna eat it for the rest of the year? Are they gonna force the other one to fight an extra 2 times a year to make up for that lost revenue? It's ridiculous. They need all the help they can get.

11 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

For folks in the UK, according to Mike Coppinger, both Sky Sport and BT are bidding for the rights to air the rematch.

Cheers, @Elsalvajeloco. There's interesting variables here. Tyson Fury won the first fight despite two knockdowns. That was Fury's third fight following two tuneup fights in 2018 after three years out through drug test failures and weight gained. Tyson Fury's split with his trainer, Ben Davis. Fury somehow woke up from THAT second knockdown. Wilder has the power to end a fight at any time, still remember his reaction of shock to Fury getting up after that aforementioned knockdown. Now that Tyson has more rounds in the bag, can he avoid the power of Wilder?

Edited by The Natural

On the PBC on Fox card, Jeison Rosario pulled off an upset and stopped Julian Williams in J-Rock's hometown of Philadelphia. Maybe the dudes who hold these two particular junior middleweight belts should stop fighting in their hometowns. Seems like a curse.

Eleider Alvarez knocked poor Michael Seals into another galaxy over on the Top Rank card at Turning Stone.