DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 7

Elsalvajeloco

Perils of having teenage children. You end up knowing about things that nobody from your generation should.

Edit: SKY Sports put the LP vs KSI fight on YouTube for free already. I watched it, and it was sloppy. That idiot would have won if he'd walked off after the uppercut instead of still throwing when the guy was going down.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, AxB said:

Apparently they gad a hard time selling tickets too. After KSI vs LP 1 sold out Manchester Arena (although that was an all YouTuber card) there was an assumption that the rematch was going to be a super hot deal, but the first one turned people off. They thought the draw was a fix to set up the second bout (it wasn't), they resented paying $10 or £7.50 for a PPV that was then made available for free two weeks later, and a lot of people who hated Paul wanted to see his career ruined and ended, not rejuvanated.

Heard it sold legit 10,000+ tickets.  I have no doubt the first one sold out in Manchester.  British fight fans sell out buildings for stuff that wouldn't sell out a minor league sports venue this side of the Atlantic

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AxB said:

Perils of having teenage children. You end up knowing about things that nobody from your generation should.

Edit: SKY Sports put the LP vs KSI fight on YouTube for free already. I watched it, and it was sloppy. That idiot would have won if he'd walked off after the uppercut instead of still throwing when the guy was going down.

Didn't watch. Glad LP lost after he mocked someone who committed suicide. Twat. 

Ortiz looks to be in great condition. He stunned Deontay in the first fight and then faded due to conditioning and the beatdown Wilder put on him, but it was close for a while there. Rematch this Saturday.

• Like 2

wilder-ortiz-2-poster-new.jpg

Premier Boxing Champions: Wilder vs. Ortiz II
November 23, 2019
Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

WBC Heavyweight Championship: Deontay Wilder © (219.5) vs. Luis Ortiz (236.5) (tenth defense) - Wilder, KO (straight right), R7 (2:51)
WBA Super World Super Featherweight Championship: Leo Santa Cruz (129.5) vs. Miguel Flores (130) (vacant) - Santa Cruz, DEC (unanimous)
WBA World Super Bantamweight Championship: Brandon Figueroa © (122) vs. Julio Ceja (126.5)* (first defense) - DRAW (split)
Leduan Barthelemy (127) vs. Eduardo Ramirez (126.5) - Ramirez, KO (straight left), R4 (2:59)

Fox Sports 2 Preliminary Card:
Omar Juarez (142.5) vs. Kevin Shacks (141) - Juarez, KO (straight right), R6 (1:59)
Vito Mielnicki Jr. (147) vs. Marklin Bailey (143.5) - Mielnicki Jr., TKO (referee stoppage), R2 (2:31)
Marsellos Wilder (197) vs. Dustin Long (198.5) - Long, KO (left hook), R4 (1:51)
Viktor Slavinskyi (127.5) vs. Rigoberto Hermosillo (127) - Slavinskyi, DEC (unanimous)

Untelevised Preliminary Card:
Shon Mondragon (121) vs. Juan Centeno (122) -
Angel Alejandro (130.5) vs. Mark John Yap (132) - Alejandro, DEC (unanimous)
Arnold Alejandro (129.5) vs. Jhon Gemino (129.5) - Gemino, KO (straight right), R5 (1:45)
Jose Manuel Gomez (130) vs. Daniel Placeres (129.5) - Gomez, TKO (corner retirement), R3 (3:00)

*Ceja missed weight; Title only on the line for Figueroa

Attendance: 9,129
Gate: $4.063 million
Buyrate275,000

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

33 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Didn't mean to post, but I will say the first was so much fun and both guys have a lot to lose here with retirement being a strong possibility for Ortiz should he lose and Wilder messing with the Fury rematch. 

Edited by Oyaji

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Didn't mean to post, but I will say the first was so much fun and both guys have a lot to lose here with retirement being a strong possibility for Ortiz should he lose and Wilder messing with the Fury rematch. 

I meant to quote @Serious Darius Bagfelt's post this morning but I forgot so I will say it here: I think it's pretty ballsy to take another fight with Luis Ortiz. Nobody knew that Otto Wallin would give Tyson Fury a rough outing and steal some early rounds which forced Fury to rally down the home stretch. People should somewhat expect Ortiz to at the very least force Wilder to think and evaluate his choices. I've seen fights where Wilder doesn't do a whole bunch in the first quarter of the fight (IIRC the Gerald Washington fight was like that until he floored Washington). In the first Ortiz fight, he was just frozen. I know Ortiz is a puncher as well, but I didn't expect Deontay to be that cautious. It was almost alarming and then Luis hurt him. To sign up to fight Ortiz again after that ugly start in the first fight either tells me Deontay will rely on his power until he ultimately succumbs to it not working or he feels Luis Ortiz's best shot to beat him went out the window as soon as Deontay made that comeback in March 2018 at Barclays Center. Either way, Wilder's style automatically makes this a not so safe fight. At some point, Deontay is going to need to explore alternative ways to battle back in fights. He eventually found Fury's chin last December, but it was such a struggle to the point where he got a draw in a fight a good amount people thought Fury won. Just like I had my doubts about the Reynosos and Canelo, I have my reservations about Jay Deas and Mark Breland. Wilder has more shortcomings than Canelo did two to three years ago amidst the Golovkin rivalry, but at the same time, he is the biggest home run hitter you'll find. It's very much possible Ortiz gets stopped in round 1 or 2 due to that, but once you hit the middle rounds and beyond if it gets there, all bets are off.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

Wilder is an incredibly flawed fighter.  And like a lot of heavy hitters whatever technique he learned has gone out the window.  Just the absolute thunder in his fists is a site to behold.  It will be interesting to see if he just goes out chucking hard shots knowing Ortiz can hurt him.  Ortiz is a fine fighter but if he had conditioning issues going into the biggest fight on his career how much better and more motivated is he going to be now at 40 years old.  Well 40 at least.  How is he going to attack knowing he can be taken out.  I fully expect this to be a quick night for Wilder.  I may be wrong, I often am but he should win this.  And looking at the WBC top 10 ugh.  Wilder should get a bunch more KO's.

• Like 1

FWIW I finally got a chance to watch the Showtime doc Pariah on Sonny Liston. I think it works as a great companion piece with the Liston doc HBO did several years ago. It fills in a lot of stuff that was missing. It also leaves a lot of stuff wide open for interpretation. Definitely recommended.

• Like 1